Security on Nile Cruises

mek

I was in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia last month and I'm planning to go back in the fall of 2019 to see the great migration. I would like to add on a 3 or 4 night Nile cruise but I'm curious what the security is like when traveling around Luxor, Valley of the Kings area - not even sure I want to include any time in Cairo, unless it's to fly home. Do the cruise ships have any special kind of security on them?

I recently watched a program on TV about Nile cruises and the tourist areas look deserted - is this really the case?

It's a good number of years since we did a Nile cruise - possibly 12!

We did a seven day cruise (Luxor to Aswan) followed by five nights at the Sheraton in Luxor.

It was after the terrorist attack at Queen Hatshepsut's temple and the authorities had increased the number of armed tourist police at all temples we visited and wherever we tied up there were always two security guards by the gangplank.

When the boat sailed from Luxor to Dandarah the police mounted a heavy machine gun on the front of the boat and the buses from the boat to the Temple of Hathor went in convoy with a military guard.

So, yes, security was tight but not suffocating. In Luxor we walked out of the hotel, got taxis (we used the same taxi driver for all our trips, who was wonderful) to the Valley of the Kings, local souks, Karnak temple and to other hotels for dinner, etc.

It was a wonderful trip - highly recommended. Hopefully someone will have more recent experience.

We’ve just done a cruise from Athens to Dubai and we did an overnight tour to Luxor from Safaga. There were guards about at the temples. We never felt to be in any danger. We did see a number of abandoned river cruise boats and were told that this was because of the massive drop in numbers. There certainly were tourists about at the temples and in the Valley of the Kings, but it wasn’t crowded at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’ve just done a cruise from Athens to Dubai and we did an overnight tour to Luxor from Safaga. There were guards about at the temples. We never felt to be in any danger. We did see a number of abandoned river cruise boats and were told that this was because of the massive drop in numbers. There certainly were tourists about at the temples and in the Valley of the Kings, but it wasn’t crowded at all.

Appreciate this great post and details from Host Grandma Cruising. Very helpful and interesting!! Yes, it helps to see this recent, first-hand info. We are planning a late November 2018, Athens to Dubai cruise that would allow us a two-day, overnight stay in Luxor. Keep up the great sharing and wonderful insights. Love learning more from your exciting experiences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,156 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

We have just returned after a 12 day package trip to Egypt, which included a 7 day Nile cruise, Luxor - Aswan - Luxor.

The cruise was great (Princess Sarah II) and we felt safe and secure the whole time.

There is a security presence everywhere but not obstructive. Plenty of roadside check points with armed military units etc, security scanners in all the hotels and tourist sites.

Our guide was saying that currently tourism is at about 18% of what it was prior to the uprising and the Arab Spring (about 10 years ago?) but there was still plenty of tourists around, so I am glad I wasn't there when it was at peak capacity!

The Nile cruise itself was great, sailing along the river passing lovely scenery and witnessing beautiful sunsets.

We visitied sites such as Edfu and Kom Ombo along the way, spent a couple of days docked at Aswan while we did the local sites and a trip to Abu Simbel, then back via Kom Ombo and Edfu to Luxor.

Our river cruiser was the Princess Sarah II and we were very happy with the quality and service. The cabin was quite large and comfortable (the bathroom was tiny), we had a swimming pool, sundeck, bar and shaded seating area on the top deck. There was a lounge/entertainment area with a bar and the dining room on the lower deck was large and comfortable. The ship carried about 150 passengers but didn't feel crowded.

So overall the security was present but not oppressive, we felt comfortable and safe while in Egypt. :)

If you have questions or would like more info about the cruise or other aspects of our trip just send me a message. :)

The cruise was great (Princess Sarah II) and we felt safe and secure the whole time. There is a security presence everywhere but not obstructive. Plenty of roadside check points with armed military units etc, security scanners in all the hotels and tourist sites. Our guide was saying that currently tourism is at about 18% of what it was prior to the uprising and the Arab Spring (about 10 years ago?) but there was still plenty of tourists around, so I am glad I wasn't there when it was at peak capacity! So overall the security was present but not oppressive, we felt comfortable and safe while in Egypt.

Appreciate very much this great background, the excellent comments and such super follow-ups from our Australian friend. YES, very helpful!! Might have some added questions. The first comes to mind right now is about Luxor. We will dock at Safaga, Egypt, along the Red Sea, and have an overnight stay in Luxor. What did you do there and most love from that part of Egypt? Biggest surprises about Luxor and Egypt?

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,171 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Luxor is very rich in antiquities, so you will have trouble deciding where to spend your time!

My favourite was Karnak temple, followed by the Valley of the Kings and Queen Hatshepsut's Mortuary temple. Luxor temple was also very interesting. I did an early morning hot air balloon flight over the Nile West Bank which was fantastic.

If you go to the Valley of the Kings they have just introduced a photography pass (previously photography was banned) which costs 300 LE (less than $20US). I would strongly recommend paying for the pass so that you can capture some memories from this wonderful place. Be warned that we saw many people having their phones confiscated and photos erased when they didn't have a photo pass, so get a pass if you want photos.

Didn't enjoy Cairo much at all. :(

Too much traffic, too much pollution, too chaotic.

We visited the same temples etc as Wookie01. We also saw the Colossi of Memnon.

My personal favourite was the Valley of The Kings. Your ticket includes visiting 3 tombs, and our guide took us to the tombs he recommended (I confess I can’t remember which they were). External guides are not allowed to enter the tombs, but he told us what to look for before we entered each tomb.

We also paid extra to visit Tutankhamun’s tomb and Seti’s tomb. Tut’s tomb cost 100 Egyptian pounds (about £4/$5) and Seti’s cost 1000 Egyptian pounds (about£40/$50). They were both well worth visiting, for different reasons. Tut’s tomb has his mummy and sarcophagus in it - it’s the only mummy left in the Valley. In Seti’s tomb the painting is amazing and very well worth the money. (There’s a very good You-Tube video about it at

).

You have to have Egyptian pounds to pay for these tombs and our guide took us to an ATM so we could obtain these, as you cannot get them in the UK.

We also went to the Light & Sound Show at Karnak. I loved it, but my husband hated it, so I would hesitate to recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TLCOhio ... Consider hot air ballooning while in Luxor. We were on an overnight from our ship when it docked in Safaga this year. Booked the ballooning last minute through the guide who was taking us around. The addition of the hot air ballooning did not impact our second day timewise since it was done so early in the morning. Our guide arranged for the balloon company to drop us off at a place closer to our first stop that day and our driver met us there so we did not have to go all the way back to Luxor after the balloon trip. Prices vary by size of basket ... ours was under $100pp ... a lot less expensive than hot air ballooning elsewhere around the world. I wrote about our experience in my blog.

Terry -- Lots of security and check points along the road from the port. It is a long trip. If you are doing a private tour leave plenty of room in the van to stretch. We were packed 10 in a van that really was made for 8 -- most painful drive. If it was I - I would take the ships tour.

Bring small bills for tips for guides and guards/security. Some of the security people at Karnak temple and others will as for a tip if they take your photo.

November is a good time. We were there in April and it was hot (mid 90's)

Terry -- Lots of security and check points along the road from the port. It is a long trip. If you are doing a private tour leave plenty of room in the van to stretch. We were packed 10 in a van that really was made for 8 -- most painful drive. If it was I - I would take the ships tour. Bring small bills for tips for guides and guards/security. Some of the security people at Karnak temple and others will as for a tip if they take your photo. November is a good time. We were there in April and it was hot (mid 90's)

TLCOhio ... Consider hot air ballooning while in Luxor. We were on an overnight from our ship when it docked in Safaga this year. Booked the ballooning last minute through the guide who was taking us around.

Luxor is very rich in antiquities, so you will have trouble deciding where to spend your time! My favourite was Karnak temple, followed by the Valley of the Kings and Queen Hatshepsut's Mortuary temple. .

WOW!! Super appreciate these great comments and follow-ups. I have highlighted some of these from above, plus what Host Grandma Cruising posted, etc. Wonderful ideas. Yes, would love to do the hot air ballooning near Luxor. Sounds exciting!! Glad to know there is good security, etc. Great suggestions with the smaller dollar currency for tips. Keep up this great sharing. After we done with our late Jan.-Feb. adventure to SE Asia, I am sure I will have more questions and desires for added info.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,439 views for these postings.

Regarding small bills for tipping, keep in mind that $1US is about 17LE, so a $1 tip is huge to them.

The usual tip to use a toilet is 5LE, so if you are giving $1 then you are tipping more than 3 times above the norm.

This may not seem like much to you, but keep in mind the impact it can have on the local social structure. If someone can earn more from tourists by loitering outside a public toilet with their hand out than they can by honest employment then it can change local practices. Most of the time the toilets are in an appalling condition and often those with their hand out don't actually seem to anything to maintain the facilities anyway. :(

I was in South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia last month and I'm planning to go back in the fall of 2019 to see the great migration. I would like to add on a 3 or 4 night Nile cruise but I'm curious what the security is like when traveling around Luxor, Valley of the Kings area - not even sure I want to include any time in Cairo, unless it's to fly home. Do the cruise ships have any special kind of security on them?

I recently watched a program on TV about Nile cruises and the tourist areas look deserted - is this really the case?

We just returned from a 12 day Viking cruise. As previously posted, security is tight on the roads from the ports. We also spent 2 nights in Cairo - no issues. Luxor is simply amazing - so much to see & certainly lives up to its reputation as the world's greatest open-air museum! I was fascinated with the Karnak temple complex.