Leaving the ship for a night in Tahiti

Cruise Junky

has anyone done this? We're on a Transpacific that stops in Papeete first and then Moorea the next day. The day in Papeete is my husband's birthday and I'd love to surprise him with a night in an overwater bungalow in Moorea. We could then board the ship next day in Moorea. I realize I would have to have the cruise line's approval but just wondered if anyone has done it.

We've been to Tahiti 5 times on the Paul Gauguin. The ship offers this as an "excursion" on both Bora Bora and Moorea as they overnight at each. We usually stay precruise on Moorea in an OWB at the Hilton on Moorea. It would be very easy for you to arrange this yourself as the cruise ship pier in Tahiti is 50 yards from the ferry. The only downside is that your room may not be ready when you get there but you could use the resort. To be honest I think it is a lot of money for only a few hours in your overwater bungalow. If you paid for 2 nights (really pricey) you could get in to your unit and enjoy the day. If you don't get in until between 2 pm and 4 pm the opportunity to hang out on the deck and snorkel is almost done. The next day you usually have to be out by 11:00 am.