Musty bathing suits. Yes I've tried vinegar.

perditax

I have a couple of bathing suits that picked up a mildew smell at some point while stored away for a few months. (They were fine when I got back from my last trip.) Only discovered when I took them out to start pre-packing.

Don't care so much about the bottoms, which are Target brand, but the tops are somewhat expensive (to me) Freya underwired tops, and I'd like to save them. It seems like the more things I've tried, the worse the smell is getting.

1) Yes, many hours soaked in a sink with a couple of cups of vinegar.

2) No I don't use fabric softener.

3) Tried a cup of baking soda instead.

4) Tried salt

5) Tried oxyclean (which just injected a perfumery smell into the mildew smell).

6) Unfortunately I don't have private access to direct sunlight (inward looking apartment courtyard).

I'm getting almost desperate enough to try a small amount of bleach diluted in water, but thought I'd check here first.

Definitely, NOT bleach. If your suit is any kind of spandex or has elastic in it, that would not be good, it would destroy the elastic in it. It's the end of January, stores should have or be getting suits in now, if possible, spring for a new one.

If you can smell mildew, the spores are still in the fabric,

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/mold-out-bathing-suits-49123.html

Edited by myfuzzy

Eek!

Well, if you've nothing to lose....Apple cide vinegar + baking soda + washing soda:https://2beesinapod.com/2014/06/23/get-the-funk-outta-my-bathing-suit-how-to-clean-your-bathing-suit-after-a-beach-visit/

(and a commenter actually notes that she used a soak in strong black tea - if you have a darker color suit -and that helped her)

I have used this detergent to get the smell out of some of my son's gym and work clothes and it takes out smells better than anything else I've found. It's not cheap though so I guess it would depend how much you like the suits.

https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sno-Seal-Sport-Wash-Detergent-18-Fluid/dp/B00CQJE0BI/ref=lp_9381787011_1_10?srs=9381787011&ie=UTF8&qid=1517441719&sr=8-10

Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine makes their own laundry detergent and gave me some borax, washing soda and trisodium phosphate (something they used to put in laundry and dish detergents). I tried it on one of the cheaper pieces and I think it helped a bit (you also use citric acid or vinegar at the end to rinse). I suppose I'll try the rest tomorrow in the washer again (tonight's experiment was by hand). After that I'll start looking into the specialty products online.

Basically I've got two Freya tops that I have to order from the U.K. and replacement costs would be about $80 each, not that I can get the same styles now. Have a hard time finding tops that fit me right.

The bottoms in question are basic black skirted bottoms from Target, so less concerned about those. Would really like to save the tops, though. They've been with me on many cruises and it really seems like the problem developed when they were sitting in a drawer for too long. I guess I didn't go on enough trips lately. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...