Opinions on Nikon D3000?

Gomez56

I currently have a Canon S3 point and shoot with some ability to manipulate that I'm not happy with. I have the opportunity to purchase a Nikon D3000 with 2 kit lenses; 18-55mm and 55-200mm for $150. I realize it's nearing 10 years old but I'm thinking it would be worth buying. There seem to be quite a few Nikon fans here so I though I would ask.

We'll be going to the Western Caribbean in 2 weeks!

Well, I think it would be a pretty big upgrade over your point and shoot. As for the price, yeah, you're getting a deal just on the lenses.

I'd go for it, and spend the next two weeks learning how to use the camera. If you don't learn it beforehand, you might get intimidated and not pull it out as much on the ship. Still, it's a Nikon. It's waaaayyyy easier to figure out than a Sony. Just watch a few YouTube videos and check a few websites on basic photography. I'm sure there are a ton specifically on the D3000.

2 years ago I was given a D60 which was equally or more older at the time. I would do it, I went looking back at my pictures recently and noticed an extreme jump in just color between my old canon sx170 and my Nikon d60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"He who hesitates is lost", or loses out on the camera deal. On the other hand I am now the proud owner of a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. And yes they are both VR with metal lugs. Plus 2 batteries and 2 charges and some UV filters, so I'm set for equipment and just need practice. Fun times.

Whoah, you are more than set for batteries. One of the best things about DSLRs is that their batteries last forever. I carry around 2 spare batteries for my GoPro and I still worry about battery life.

I've never run down a single battery on my DSLR while on vacation. I can see it as a possibility if you're shooting professionally at an event, but not for your typical vacation.

But congratulations, you're gonna have a blast. Practice as much as you can. Get that Understanding Exposure book if you're coming straight from point and shoots. A whole new world is opening up.

Whoah, you are more than set for batteries. One of the best things about DSLRs is that their batteries last forever. I carry around 2 spare batteries for my GoPro and I still worry about battery life.

I've never run down a single battery on my DSLR while on vacation. I can see it as a possibility if you're shooting professionally at an event, but not for your typical vacation.

But congratulations, you're gonna have a blast. Practice as much as you can. Get that Understanding Exposure book if you're coming straight from point and shoots. A whole new world is opening up.

I'm taking 3 action cameras with a total of 8 batteries, that will have to be enough ;)

My p&s would get about 50 pictures on a set of AAs, I think I'll get 3 to 4 times that many with this one.

I'll have to check into the book, but I've been watching lots of tutorials on youtube.

50 pictures? Whoah. That's like Sony battery level lol. A quick Google search tells me the D3000 should take about 550 shots on one battery charge. I've had/have 3 other Nikon dslrs and I can confirm that I easily shot 300+ shots without being close to running out of battery. I've never shot video with a dslr though. You'll be very pleased with battery life on your dslr.