Photography lessons

patrick401ca

Does anyone have recommendations on the best places (I.e. websites) for photography courses? I’m looking both for technical pointers about the particular model as some general lessons. I’ve looked at Kelby and am interested in opinions on that and similar “products”.

I learned the basics 40 years ago with f stops and depth of field etc. but after all these years and with the change in technology what I learned from my old Olympus does quite cut it.

One thing I’m finally getting used to is really letting the shutter rip when I have a card with tons memory. Sure beats the pants off having one expensive roll of film with only 24 exposures.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is an excellent source for basic photo knowledge and the fourth edition deals mostly with digital beyond the basics of exposure.

As for specifics of your camera, go to Amazon and type in the make and model of your camera followed by "book" into the search. Hit search and you should find a lot of beyond the manual books as long as it isn't an obscure model.

Dave

Honestly, if you have the basics, and the basics really haven't changed since film, I'd just YouTube your specific camera.

As you've found out, the only real difference is that the limits on a DSLR are MUCH higher than film. Instead of a roll of 24, hold that shutter down if you want. It's very freeing not having to worry about conserving shots.

ISO is another biggie. Instead of whatever ISO your film is, they crank those suckers up HIGH now. Depending on the camera, you get totally usable shots at 12,000+. Anything 8000 and under should look real very clean on the higher end cameras. It's amazing TBH.

Then, you've got photo editing software. Again, YouTube helps a lot because you can follow along visually. I still recommend a physical class for lessons, but if you can't find one, then YouTube. But editing after the fact means you're better off shooting the shot anyways even under bad conditions and seeing if you can fix it later. The newer stuff can literally see in the dark.

One thing I’m finally getting used to is really letting the shutter rip when I have a card with tons memory. Sure beats the pants off having one expensive roll of film with only 24 exposures.

Don't get too carried away letting the shutter rip. Camera life expectancy is based, in a large part, on how many actuations you have accumulated.

Honestly, if you have the basics, and the basics really haven't changed since film, I'd just YouTube your specific camera.

I agree that the basics haven't changed much. In fact, in many ways, photography is much easier now. Cameras are smart. Really smart. I don't do this or recommend it, but if you just leave your digital camera on auto, you will get a properly exposed camera almost all of the time.

The single most important thing I have ever done to improve my photograph is join our local camera club. We submit images and either critique each other's images or have a judge critique them.

Much more important than camera settings is choosing the subject, seeing the light, and composing well. It is by looking at other photographer's images and having others critique mine that I have improved as a photographer.

I have been a big fan of The Great Courses and they have a bunch of various photo lectures.

Fundamentals of Photography (Joel Satore) and Fundamentals of Travel Photography (Bob Krist) are two of the several courses available. The lecturers are National Geographic photographers and courses are pretty good.

Courses can be bought on DVD though the streaming version is also available and a tad costly at $170+ a year BUT it is a treasure trove of riches of its mostly-entire courses ranging from Antropology to Zoology!

I have been a big fan of The Great Courses and they have a bunch of various photo lectures.

Fundamentals of Photography (Joel Satore) and Fundamentals of Travel Photography (Bob Krist) are two of the several courses available. The lecturers are National Geographic photographers and courses are pretty good.

Courses can be bought on DVD though the streaming version is also available and a tad costly at $170+ a year BUT it is a treasure trove of riches of its mostly-entire courses ranging from Antropology to Zoology!

I also enjoyed the Joel Satore course.

I enjoyed all 3 Joel Sartore courses. They are often, like always, on sale these days.

If you have a Nikon goggle Ken Rockwell he has all kinds of good reviews on everything Nikon.

Allan

IMO, his reviews aren't valid unless about 5+ years ago. And cameras that old aren't really relevant today. All his newer reviews follow the same pattern. It's like he goes to Best Buy, plays around with a camera for 5 minutes, then uses a template to post a "review" where 80% of it is stats copied and pasted from the camera manufacturer's website.

IMO, his reviews aren't valid unless about 5+ years ago. And cameras that old aren't really relevant today. All his newer reviews follow the same pattern. It's like he goes to Best Buy, plays around with a camera for 5 minutes, then uses a template to post a "review" where 80% of it is stats copied and pasted from the camera manufacturer's website.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Allan

I have the Joel Satore dvds and like them. Also improvephotography.com is a good resource

Sent from my iPad using Forums