Skagway Glacier Wilderness Safari (Radiance Excursion)

SSBrickNJ

I'm considering plunking down the money for a SIX HOUR RC excursion called: "Skagway Glacier Wilderness Safari" (It has a website reference Id #SK22 )

Description: enclosed boat w/ panoramic windows ideal for seeing whales. Land on Glacier Point, paddling adventure through placid lake waters to the massive face of Davidson Glacier. Hike to the edge of the river admiring its towering granite walls & bright blue ice.......prices start at $236 pp

Yes that's a lot of money yet even though my home state of NJ gets cold in the winter, I've never seen any glaciers! :rolleyes:;) For me personally, this will be my one and only time to Alaska...it seems worth it.

#1 Any posters reading this ever take this specific excursion? If yes, kindly share your thoughts

#2 The RC excursion website notes that this 6 hour excursion will include "a meal". I assume that will be something simple on the "enclosed boat w/ panoramic windows"???

.......btw, of course I could call RC and ask these questions......but I enjoy the forum interaction. Thanks! :)

Steve

Edited by SSBrickNJ
improve my post

This is about to drop off the first page and the only response to the tread has been myself.

Anyone can answer this one.

Do RC excursions sell out 4 1/2 months in advance? Today is 2/19 and my sail date is 6/29

I'll call RC tomorrow but I was hoping for a response here...tonight.

Should I book it tomorrow?

Could this excursion on the Radiance Cruise that departs June 29th sell out even now in February?

Also from jersey

Been to Alaska

You have to do it

If you can swing it go for it

If you really want adventure try snorkel Alaska as well

Have a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this excursion, although I think we ended up booking it privately, not through the ship. It ended up being our favorite excursion in Alaska so far (2 cruises)! Its a lot of transit time on the boat to get out there, then a short time on a school bus, then a short hike until you get to the really cool stuff (canoes and glacier), but the guides were awesome and they kept us entertained and educated.

The guides actually live out there on the island all summer for the cruise season, so they have some interesting stories to share. We did a very early season cruise and I was pleasantly surprised that none of our guides (we had a different one on the boat, bus/hike, and canoe, as the boat one was separate, and the larger group was split up for the canoes) seemed like newbies. They must get there quite early for orientation.

It was a sack lunch (sandwich, fruit, granola bar ish) at a picnic area on the island, either before or after the canoe part depending on the time of day (they do 2 runs a day I think). I'd recommend bringing your own water and snacks in case you want to eat at a different time or whatever.

Yes, the boat there and back was enclosed, which I wasn't all tot keen on, but even though I get motion sick very easily, I was fine with Bonine + Seabands. It didn't have a restroom either, but they warned us in advance.

The excursion itself was very picturesque and fun. Just bring some patience with all the travel involved, as its a long day. It wasn't too grueling though, as they only let you paddle the canoes so far, then turn on outboard motors.

Note that lots of info and reviews can be found about this excursion online by searching by name. Double check if you can book independently and save a bit of money. There would be folks going through the ship doing it as well, so its very low risk.

Unfortunately most Alaska excursions are pricey, but I see no point in going all the way to Alaska and then only walking around the tourist port areas! This is a very popular excursion with only a set availability, and I've heard it sells out months in advance. So, if you can cancel without penalty, I see no reason not to book it now if you are leaning towards it. Best wishes.

Only 1 vendor does the tour, although it looks like you can book through a few different sites. You could book it online through the cruiseline or independently if you wanted. I've never called about anything. Looks like it is going for $219 independently.

here are reviews of the excursion on cruisecritic I found too:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/shore-excursions/excursion/4630/

It's now the next morning.

Today, Tues. 2/20 @ 8:05EST I called Royal Caribbean and I.....

SUCCESSFULLY BOOKED THE EXCURSION!!!! :)

We are going to see an Alaskan glacier up close and personal!! :D

Thank you to all who participated in this thread

BTW, I am expecting that there will be no toilet opportunities during this 6 hour excursion.

If I am wrong, please correct me...that would be good if I'm wrong ;)

Skagway isn't the prime glacier viewing port on an Alaskan cruise, but sounds like fun. You shouldn't have much problem with waves in that area - every time we have been to Skagway the water has been like glass, including several ferries over to Haines to raft the eagle preserve. Your tour boat likely has bathrooms. Minimum would be portapotties at the place you get the canoes.

Juneau has Mendenhall, which costs about $30 to take a bus to, and there are some good kayak/hike trips at the base. There are a ton of copter tours that will take you up and land on one for prices in the $300 range (more if you book through the ship). Missed this on our last cruise due to fog, though.

Agree that tours in Alaska are pricey. Lots of float planes and copters at the top end. Short tourist season and everything in Alaska costs more. Remember that although you planned to only visit Alaska once it isn't going to work out that way. Expect rain in either Ketchikan or Juneau.

BTW, I am expecting that there will be no toilet opportunities during this 6 hour excursion. If I am wrong, please correct me...that would be good if I'm wrong ;)

They have outdoor flush toilets at the staging point on the island. This is after you get off the bus, after the boat ride. The staging point is where you get (and drop off) gear, so will be just before and after the canoe part, approximately the middle of the excursion.

They have outdoor flush toilets at the staging point on the island. This is after you get off the bus, after the boat ride. The staging point is where you get (and drop off) gear, so will be just before and after the canoe part, approximately the middle of the excursion.

Thank you for that info.

6 hours would have been a challenge but 3 hours or whatever will be fine.

Thanks again!

:)

• 3 months later...
When looking at online articles about how to dress in Alaska in July, the advice is always layers.

....................but these articles are talking about wearing a backpack when traveling on foot. There were many references to hiking,

My excursion includes a canoe and there is no room for a backpack or for adding or removing layers.

It would be helpful if I could decide what would be appropriate to wear on the excursion and stick with it the entire 6 hours of the excursion.

So July 4......in Skagway...canoeing up to a glacier.

Seeking advice as to what to wear.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Some might say, what you wear depends on what you are used to. We live in NJ so our tolerance for or perception of cold will be relative to NJ winters. Floridians might find July 4th next to a glacier to be so uncomfortably cold.

Someone from Toronto might be along side them and think it is quite comfortable.

How New Jersey residents might feel would likely be closer to Toronto residents than Florida.

Anyway, still hoping for feedback re. what to wear if adding layers and a backpack were not an option in a canoe.

I was able to bring a small backpack on the canoe and set it at my feet, no problems. There is also a staging area (after getting off the bus, where the bathrooms are) that you can leave things at. It was then that they had us change into rubber boots, and offered extra layers for anyone who needed them. Just be sure any bag that you bring with and plan to take on the walk and canoe is one you don't mind getting the exterior dirty and damp. You can kinda put it on top of / between your feet if the bottom of the canoe is a puddle, but it seemed like they try to keep them fairly clean, so ours just had some sand and dampness.

I wore a short sleeved shirt, long jeans, low top hiking shoes, and a wide brimmed floppy sun hat. At the staging area they had us change into the rubber rain boots, as a bit of wading can be involved. I brought an extra pair of socks for padding in the boots and it was appreciated. I also brought both a light fleece and a lightweight hooded rain jacket, so I could wear one or both. I only needed the fleece, and only part of the time. I also brought gloves and a ski cap, but didn't need either of those.

Both layers fit in my backpack, but if you wanted to share 1 bag between 2 people, and each didn't need either layer, then you could each tie one around your waist and put the other in the bag. I was also able to put the hat, gloves, water, snacks, and the usual purse stuff in my backpack without it being cumbersome.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

It's Steve....the thread starter.

We had a good time.

The weather was almost 80F the day we went.

It was windy near the glacier so I'm glad a brought a windbreaker.

We were glad to have participated in this excursion.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!