New to Seabourn

cruiser02

Hi Experienced Seabourn cruisers

We cruised on many lines but this have just booked our first cruise with Seabourn - Ovation . What should we know about this line that differs from others. I was surprised that "formal nights" still exist.

All comments appreciated.

Apart from comparing the SB brochure and web page to those of the other lines, there are several threads in this board that relate to specific cruise line comparisons, e.g. Regent vs Seabourn; Oceania vs Seabourn; as well as comparisons to Crystal and Silversea. You will hardly find any comparison to the so-called mainstream lines, but I may be wrong. You can use the search function of the SB board to help you access the threads. Welcome to the SB board!

Welcome to SB, Cruiser02! When and where is your cruise?

Ovation is a new ship very similar to the new Encore, already sailing, so you can look up reviews from that ship both in the member review section and on this board to get a sense of layout and service. Many people do not like the idea of the extra-charge “Retreat” on top, not present on the other SB ships, as it is getting away from an all inclusive approach and takes up space.

I see you have cruised quite a bit with the upper premium line Azamara, and also mainstream.

SB base cabins are larger. There are no inside cabins. Alcohol and about 30-40 wines are included in the fare, some good some not so good, drink as many martinis or cosmos as you want. Higher end wines and liquors are extra charge.

There is also more passenger space per person on SB, as there is on the other luxury lines, compared with premium lines.

Silver Sea, Crystal, and Regent (and Hapag-Lloyd, my favorite so far, though the latter is mostly German pax), are other luxury lines that are similar, each with unique features.

No smoking allowed except in limited designated areas.

Bad internet a lot of the time, just like elsewhere. Entertainment limited as it is a small ship.

On SB you can order free caviar, and have them make up a meal of your choice.

No upcharge in restaurants.

Not a good line for kids.

No nickle and diming.

Very few lines to stand in.

Excursions are expensive, but not as expensive as I found on Oceania, a premium line similar to Azamara.

Service is supposed to be better and more personal, though there have been a few glitches lately, as there have with food, but which remains excellent overall compared with the competition. I have not been on Azamara, so cannot compare, but on Oceania, another premium line comparable to Oceania, I was not happy with the food or the dining room service (Regatta) and was very unhappy with all the announcements.

There is a nice area called Seabourn Square where there are computers, lounging couches, fancy coffee, and snacks, and it is a favorite easy -going social area. The service desks are also there.

Most pax are either well-off or very well-off, but if you follow this board, you will see many still value discounts if they can get them.

Pax are generally friendly and well-behaved, most are over 55, and there is not much rowdiness.

Keep an open mind, educate yourself with review reading, have realistic expectations, and have a great time!

Let us know if you have specific questions.

Hi Experienced Seabourn cruisers

We cruised on many lines but this have just booked our first cruise with Seabourn - Ovation . What should we know about this line that differs from others. I was surprised that "formal nights" still exist.

All comments appreciated.

As a first timer with Seabourn, you are entitled to $400 onboard credit with a referral coupon. If you look at the top of this board you will see the "sticky thread" re referral coupons. Emptynester is offering one to a first time cruiser currently.