Viking, Lyon to Avignon, with pre-cruise Paris extension March 2018

VTgreentraveler

Looking for info on the excursions that are offered for the 3 day pre-cruise Paris extension. We get into Paris on a Sunday March 31st, bright and early in the AM, and leave for Lyon on Wednesday. Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, want to see Versailles, and are scheduled on the Viking Panoramic Paris tour on Monday. Has anyone done any of this? Does the Panoramic Paris tour in the morning actually stop anywhere or is it just a bus ride? Does it leave enough time to see Louvre in the afternoon? Do we need to pre-purchase tickets for the Louvre or would we have any deal from the hotel? Is Versailles worth the trip? It is better to take the Viking tour or try to get out there on out own? Have I asked more questions than I am allowed in one post :p

I haven't traveled with Viking, but was in Paris for 2 nights prior to our Uniworld Paris-Normandy cruise 3 years ago, and will be there again, for 2 nights, prior to our Provence cruise from Lyon to Avignon. Both times, we have chosen to do this on our own.

I took a quick look at the Viking website, and it does look like the panorama tour makes a few brief stops....Notre Dame, the Opera....

With regard to the Louvre, you could spend a week there, and not see anywhere close to everything! If Viking doesn't have any other excursions planned for you, I would get a 2 (or 3) day museum pass. It allows you to skip the lines at the Louvre, The Arc d' Triomphe, Notre Dame, The Orsay, and a lot of other places. We definitely got our money's worth from it, and skipping the lines was one of the best benefits.

We also booked Eiffel Tower tickets, and did that on our own, as well as the Catacombs. The Metro is incredibly easy to navigate.

This year, we will get the Museum Pass again, I already have Eiffel Tower tix for both days we are there, and have tix for the Opera House.

Robin

Looking for info on the excursions that are offered for the 3 day pre-cruise Paris extension. We get into Paris on a Sunday March 31st, bright and early in the AM, and leave for Lyon on Wednesday. Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, want to see Versailles, and are scheduled on the Viking Panoramic Paris tour on Monday. Has anyone done any of this? Does the Panoramic Paris tour in the morning actually stop anywhere or is it just a bus ride? Does it leave enough time to see Louvre in the afternoon? Do we need to pre-purchase tickets for the Louvre or would we have any deal from the hotel? Is Versailles worth the trip? It is better to take the Viking tour or try to get out there on out own? Have I asked more questions than I am allowed in one post :p

The Panoramic Paris Tour is mostly a bus ride but stops at Notre Dame for a walking tour of the inside and then continues. It's possible to leave the tour there and do Paris on your own, just notify your tour guide. We did this on the Paris and Normandy cruise. After we took the Notre Dame portion of the tour, we left the tour and took a picturesque walk along the Seine (there is a pedestrian walkway) to the Musée de l'Orangerie to view the giant Monet waterlilies panels. Be aware that many museums are closed on Mondays. The Musée d'Orsay is closed but the Musée de l'Orangerie is open.

When in Paris I consider Sainte-Chapelle to be a must see. It’s located a short walk from Notre Dame so it’s possible to do both on the same afternoon. You can leave the bus tour after seeing Notre Dame and walk a couple of blocks to Sainte-Chapelle. It was built by Louis IX to house holy relics brought back from the crusades, including the supposed Crown of Thorns. It has the most extensive collection of 13th-century stained glass anywhere in the world. It’s amazing.

http://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en/

The art museums in Paris are organized by period. Most everything Pre-Impressionism is at the Louvre. Impressionism and Post-Impressionism works are at the Musée d’Orsay. Modern Art is at the Pompidou Center. Some museums are closed on Monday, others on Tuesdays. Be sure to check the websites as to operating times. I’m partial to Monet so I love the Musée d’Orsay. It’s a converted 19th century train station on the banks of the Seine. The Musée de l'Orangerie is across the Seine from the Orsay and is where the large water lilly series of paintings of Monet are located. Also for Monet fans, the Musée Marmottan is owned by the Monet Foundation. Here you’ll find the largest collection of his painting in the world, as well as works he own from his fellow impressionists. Many of his works that were hanging at his home in Giverny are here (his home contains reproductions).

The road on the right bank of the Seine has been transformed into a pedestrian and bicycle walkway. On our trip last August, we left the tour after visiting Notre Dame and walked along the river to the Musée d’Orsay, passing under Pont Neuf. It’s really a spectacular experience. If you’re up to it, I highly recommend it.

You should do Versailles on your own. The Viking tour allows you a very limited time there, too short to fully view the gardens or go to Marie Antoinette's "village."

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Just note that there is major flooding in Paris along the Seine right now, and water levels are expected to stay high for some time. There might still be issues by the time of your departure. Certainly there will likely be damage to the walkways along the Seine which are currently completely underwater.

If you are taking this trip in 2018, Marc 31 is a Sat and the following day Apr 1 is Easter. Hope you are sailing in 2019. Please tell us the year you are traveling, so that we can better help you. Also remember Viking does not dock in Paris , but about 50 minutes out. Pat

We did Paris and then the Rhone with Grand Circle last Spring. We were in Paris for 4 nights prior to leaving for our Macon embarkation. We did go to Versailles, but be prepared for it to occupy basically the entire day. Given the short amount of time you have in Paris, I would skip it. There is SO MUCH to see and do in the city. Tickets for the Louvre are for a specific time and should be purchased in advance on their website, otherwise you could spend a long time on line to purchase them. We bought ours on their website and basically just went right through the security check. If you want to see opulent rooms, go to Napolean's Apartment in the Louvre. Sainte-Chapelle was astounding, and is very close to Notre Dame. If you like impressionist painting then a trip to the Musee d'Orsay is a must. Paris is a great city. Enjoy.

If you are taking this trip in 2018, Marc 31 is a Sat and the following day Apr 1 is Easter. Hope you are sailing in 2019. Please tell us the year you are traveling, so that we can better help you. Also remember Viking does not dock in Paris , but about 50 minutes out. Pat

It had not even occurred to me that we are getting to Paris on Easter Sunday! We fly in on the 31st, spend 3 days in Paris, then take train to Lyon to start the cruise. So what does Easter do to our plans do you suppose?

Both Easter Sunday and Easter Monday are legal holidays. Check the following sites to help you plan for your days in Paris

Tripadvisor

paris insider guide

paris info.com

trip savvy paris.

Don't forget the chocolate bunnies and eggs!

Be sure to search for Easter 2018.

We did Paris and then the Rhone with Grand Circle last Spring. We were in Paris for 4 nights prior to leaving for our Macon embarkation. We did go to Versailles, but be prepared for it to occupy basically the entire day. Given the short amount of time you have in Paris, I would skip it. There is SO MUCH to see and do in the city. Tickets for the Louvre are for a specific time and should be purchased in advance on their website, otherwise you could spend a long time on line to purchase them. We bought ours on their website and basically just went right through the security check. If you want to see opulent rooms, go to Napolean's Apartment in the Louvre. Sainte-Chapelle was astounding, and is very close to Notre Dame. If you like impressionist painting then a trip to the Musee d'Orsay is a must. Paris is a great city. Enjoy.

We are doing this in April, reverse direction. Did your PD offer any notable "learning and discovery" activities not on the formal itinerary?

Enjoyed your review!

we have not travelled with Viking but have done several European river cruises as well as independent travel.

it is lovely to visit Paris anytime and especially the town of Versailles which is charming, clean and beautiful.

The palace and gardens are certainly worth a visit but the crowds are huge and can impede enjoyment.

The market on a Saturday with quality fresh produce to sample as well as places to sit with a coffee to people watch is a pleasant experience if you have time.

We spent a couple of days there on our last trip post cruise and would like to do that again.

Hope you have more time to enjoy Paris, so much to see and do and not difficult on your own, but I understand the convenience of pre/post cruise arrangements with the cruise line. Enjoy your trip.

I would add the Cluny museum which has a wonderful collection of Medieval art housed in a Bishops palace

in the Latin Quarter, don't miss the famous Lady and the Unicorn and when going into the palace notice the sea shells on the outer walls, very interesting

The Panoramic Paris Tour is mostly a bus ride but stops at Notre Dame for a walking tour of the inside and then continues. It's possible to leave the tour there and do Paris on your own, just notify your tour guide. We did this on the Paris and Normandy cruise. After we took the Notre Dame portion of the tour, we left the tour and took a picturesque walk along the Seine (there is a pedestrian walkway) to the Musée de l'Orangerie to view the giant Monet waterlilies panels. Be aware that many museums are closed on Mondays. The Musée d'Orsay is closed but the Musée de l'Orangerie is open.

When in Paris I consider Sainte-Chapelle to be a must see. It’s located a short walk from Notre Dame so it’s possible to do both on the same afternoon. You can leave the bus tour after seeing Notre Dame and walk a couple of blocks to Sainte-Chapelle. It was built by Louis IX to house holy relics brought back from the crusades, including the supposed Crown of Thorns. It has the most extensive collection of 13th-century stained glass anywhere in the world. It’s amazing.

The art museums in Paris are organized by period. Most everything Pre-Impressionism is at the Louvre. Impressionism and Post-Impressionism works are at the Musée d’Orsay. Modern Art is at the Pompidou Center. Some museums are closed on Monday, others on Tuesdays. Be sure to check the websites as to operating times. I’m partial to Monet so I love the Musée d’Orsay. It’s a converted 19th century train station on the banks of the Seine. The Musée de l'Orangerie is across the Seine from the Orsay and is where the large water lilly series of paintings of Monet are located. Also for Monet fans, the Musée Marmottan is owned by the Monet Foundation. Here you’ll find the largest collection of his painting in the world, as well as works he own from his fellow impressionists. Many of his works that were hanging at his home in Giverny are here (his home contains reproductions).

The road on the right bank of the Seine has been transformed into a pedestrian and bicycle walkway. On our trip last August, we left the tour after visiting Notre Dame and walked along the river to the Musée d’Orsay, passing under Pont Neuf. It’s really a spectacular experience. If you’re up to it, I highly recommend it.

You should do Versailles on your own. The Viking tour allows you a very limited time there, too short to fully view the gardens or go to Marie Antoinette's "village."

Versailles is worth it, easy train ride out, but so large that if you can schedule a tour so you don't miss anything

Versaquote=VTgreentraveler;55126772]Looking for info on the excursions that are offered for the 3 day pre-cruise Paris extension. We get into Paris on a Sunday March 31st, bright and early in the AM, and leave for Lyon on Wednesday. Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, want to see Versailles, and are scheduled on the Viking Panoramic Paris tour on Monday. Has anyone done any of this? Does the Panoramic Paris tour in the morning actually stop anywhere or is it just a bus ride? Does it leave enough time to see Louvre in the afternoon? Do we need to pre-purchase tickets for the Louvre or would we have any deal from the hotel? Is Versailles worth the trip? It is better to take the Viking tour or try to get out there on out own? Have I asked more questions than I am allowed in one post :p

Did you take a private tour of Versaille? We will be staying in Versaille for 2 nights before our uniworld cruise.

Look up Viator as they have a variety of tours of Versailles, from private to skip the lines. We did a Rick Steves 7 day Paris tour and one day was a train trip out to Versailles with a private tour that even took us into the theatre and little train ride out to various sites on the grounds, enjoy we will be back in Paris in summer of 2019 for our anniversary which is on Bastille Day!

quote=vino100;55175915]Did you take a private tour of Versaille? We will be staying in Versaille for 2 nights before our uniworld cruise.

Did a Viator ride around Versailles and then small group tour. We got drenched but it was till great fun. Mostly a younger crowd of young adults and families.

The Louvre is really easy to get lost. I’d suggest a guided tour of the highlights and then wandering on your own. Crowds can be frustrating around the main sites.

Didn’t know about the floods! It’s a bit early for cruise season. Uniworld starts middle of March and many others in April or May

We are doing this in April, reverse direction. Did your PD offer any notable "learning and discovery" activities not on the formal itinerary?

Enjoyed your review!

Yes, our PD offered numerous "walk arounds" throughout the entire trip. Some of them we participated in, and some we did not, mostly because we were tired from the regular activities and just wanted to relax. Frankly, I don't know how the PD (and some of our fellow pax) had the energy. I imagine though that the exact time and nature of these activities will vary from PD to PD, but yes there were quite a few of them.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Lyon to Avignon, with the 3 day Paris extension this past November. If I remember correctly, Viking didn't offer anything the first day. The second day there was the city tour by bus (Included). We stopped near Notre Dame and walked across a bridge to the island that the cathedral is located on. Our tour guide gave us a tour inside, and then we had a bit of free time. Our only other stop was for a photo op of the Eiffel Tower. They had us back to the hotel around 12:30-1:00, but there was a group that asked to be dropped off near the Louvre, and the bus driver obliged. We did the Cabaret Dinner through Viking, which was offered the 2nd night. The tour to Versailles was offered day three in the afternoon. The place is massive and to go to the palace, the gardens, and Hameau de la Reine (The Queen's Village) would take an entire day. The Viking tour does the palace (Skip the line), and about an hour of free time for the gardens, gift shop or café. Viking offers a night tour of Paris on day three. We skipped it and took a dinner cruise on the Seine which was lovely and romantic.

A word about Paris, there are lines everywhere, and it will take you far longer to tour each place then you thought. Don't try to see everything in three days, because you can't. Pick your "Must See's" (Hopefully Easter Sunday & Monday won't be too much of an obstacle to your plans). and save the rest as an excuse to go back. Have a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be watching for your post-cruise comments as well. We are on the Lyon to Avignon cruise in November as the second half of our France's Finest cruise. Wish we could spend a few days in Paris pre-cruise but the timing just doesn't work out for us this year.

We are doing Lyon to Avignon in September. Please drop back in when you get back with highlights & photos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are doing Lyon to Avignon on the Delling in Sept. also. We leave on Sept 26 - are you on this one as well? Would love to see a review, too!

Barb

March 31 this year is on a Saturday with Easter on April 1 so you must be going in 2019 when Easter is later in April. As said, the Viking Tour is mostly panoramic and it is easy to leave. One thing to consider is a Paris pass for 2 or 3 days. It is not that cheap but it includes most major museums and churches and you get to skip the line so it is usually possible to see more things for less money. You can go to Versailles on your own but best to be there when it opens. We went to Versailles on a Sunday morning then to Chartes with a different line in the afternoon but you will not be back in Paris until evening. If you use a tour, make sure there is time for the gardens-that is the best part of Versailles. If you go to the Eiffel tower on your own, make a reservation before you leave.

• 3 months later...

Trying to bring these fabulous conversations about Viking's cruises in France into one place and hopefully one ongoing Q&A.

I just started a new thread Everything Viking France: Normandy, Paris, Provence and now I'm going to the older threads asking those who have already sailed or about to sail these itineraries to subscribe and follow this new thread and to share your expertise with future travelers. I'll work to keep the thread on page 1 but I need help doing it. Thanks in advance for joining the conversation.