Ketchikan: Silverking Lodge VS. George Inlet Lodge

ajtraveler66

In planning our Ketchikan excursion, we have discovered one excursion that features a seafood meal at Silverking Lodge...and another that features a crab meal at George Inlet Lodge.

Would be interested in getting feedback from any of you who have been to either one or both of these places.

I did an excursion to the George Inlet Lodge for an all you can eat crab feast, then a flight back to the ship. I'm not a huge crab fan but really enjoyed it. Ate way more crab than I ever have and they would keep asking if you wanted more. Flight back was nice but scenery elsewhere is more spectacular from the air. If I did again I would like to try the option of a boat ride one way.

If you're a crab lover this is a great excursion, I had a lot of onboard credit to use up so gave this one a try. I did enjoy it, as I had been to Ketchikan many times before and was looking for a different excursion.

My Mom would have been in heaven on this one and would have tried to set a record for most crab consumed :)

In planning our Ketchikan excursion, we have discovered one excursion that features a seafood meal at Silverking Lodge...and another that features a crab meal at George Inlet Lodge.

Would be interested in getting feedback from any of you who have been to either one or both of these places.

I have been to both on HAL excursions.

Silverking Lodge meal is a seafood boil. Before the meal, there is a boat stop to feed the eagles (great photo op), a pass by the US Submarine Sonar Testing Facility, a short walk through a moss-covered area near the lodge. The lodge is used mainly for King Salmon fishing. The meal is served family style on newspapers on the lodge balcony. Great chocolate ship cookies. Here is a link to my photos of the Silverking Lodge excursion:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/alaskan-lodge-seafest-excursion/

The George Inlet Lodge excursion is via boat or float plane. The crab meal is "all you can eat" but beware of filling up on the appetizers. The boat version meal is shared with lots of folks but the float plane version meal is shared with only 12 (faster service). Servers wander through the dining room with tubs of freshly caught/cooked Dungeness Crab. My best was five half crabs and a big pile of shells. Here is a link to my photos:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

Enjoy your cruise planning and look forward to good eating in Ketchikan.

Did the crab feast at George Inlet Lodge & loved it. One of the top excursions in our 2 Alaska cruises. Highly recommend it. Loved watching the eagles soar down right next to the boat to feed & thoroughly enjoyed eating our fill of Dungeness crab.

I have been to the George Inlet Lodge many times but have never been to Silverking Lodge because the crab at George Inlet is my favorite meal in Alaska and would not give up an opportunity to eat there to go eat seafood at the other lodge. All you can eat fresh Dungeness crab, which is MUCH better than frozen king crab (you will never get fresh king crab in Alaska in the summer).

My wife and I did the crab feast at George Inlet and loved it. Great crab and plenty of food and beer, but you’re on a time limit. I’d go back there in a second.

We did the crab feast by itself without any add-ons. George Inlet has a shuttle that will pick you up at the dock and get you back.