Transoceanic- what to do on sea days?

jdk-atlga

Hello:

I am in the early planning stages for a transoceanic Cruise (leaning towards Pacific, Kobe to Vancouver on the Sojourn) and I am concerned about “things” to do while on-board. For reference, my wife and I do not drink, gamble or spend much time in the spa areas. My wife is very fair-skinned, so sunbathing and lounging at the pool are essentially out. We do enjoy the nightly shows and food/cooking (although being celiac, my options are more limited). We both enjoy and look forward to teatime. So, besides walking, exercise, reading and watching TV/movies, what is there to do, when you have so many sea days? For reference, and I am not trolling, I know from personal experience that Crystal has many onboard enrichment activities (art, keyboards, lectures, computer, etc.), but I really want to try Seabourn for a transoceanic cruise. Any thoughts or experiences that you might share would be most appreciated. TYIA. Jdk

Lectures, dance class, Trivia, baggo, golf putting, shuffleboard, bridge, and art class are just a few of the activities that have been available thus far on our cruise on sea days. For me it is not a lack of “something to do” on sea days that makes me dislike them it is that I enjoy being off the ship during the day walking around and exploring. But to put your mind at ease there will be numerous scheduled activities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is also the option of meeting new and interesting people who are “trapped” with you on the ship, e.g., joining them at a communal table, or at tea or in the bars (people who have time because they already finished doing their laundry the first day or two), and having long conversations with them, perhaps thus meeting future travel mates.

And of course you will be with your wife . . .

Having enjoyed a number of sea days on both Seabourn and Crystal, I would say the array of sea day activities is comparable on both lines. The only comment I would add is that the quality of the enrichment lectures on Crystal is a little higher. But you will still be enriched on Seabourn. Oh, and I recommend that you bring some hobbies on board.

We actively seek out cruises with lots of sea days. We love the unrushed feel of choosing what to do. No early rises if we don't want them. Lots of fun things on board like the Officers' Deck Party and the boat building as mentioned. On last year's April transatlantic we had an crew versus guests Olympic Games. Such a fun event.

Thank you all for your insight. And here I thought that the marina was open for the passengers to volunteer to go paddle their feet to move the ship. I had no idea about the rowing - much more efficient. In other words, plenty to do...jdk