Fishing in alaska

slugo

i am in my mid 50's and will be celebrating my 30th anniversary via a cruise. June 25th from 11 a.m to 10 p.m in Juneau, June 26 from 6 a.m. to 8:15 p.m. In Skagway, and June 28 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. In Ketchikan. I love to fish and am looking for recommendations of which one of these places to fish at and what to fish for. I am thinking that this is a good time of the year for king salmon, but not sure on that. A charter service would be fine, but going out on my own and driving somewhere or fishing off a dock also appeals to me. I do a lot of large mouth bass fishing and wonder if I can bring my own poles or should I look to rent. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

June 25 is early for salmon, but there should be some kings around. Your best bet is a charter. My favorite excursion in Ketchikan is one where you go bottom fishing for halibut, cod, rockfish, etc. and then go to a beach where your catch is prepared and served for lunch. A king salmon charter in Juneau is also good. You go out of Auke bay and troll for salmon. You will likely see whales as well.

Good place to start:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishregulations.sport

We went to AK a number of years ago, husband fished the Kenai with a guide. Only a certain number of “stamps” are issued and the fishing regulations are pretty stiff. Good luck, he caught a King, had it dressed and sent home, best summer of salmon eating ever.