Solo Cruiser Beach Question

My3Cents

Any suggestions on how to protect items brought to the beach when there solo? When you want to get into the water? Know where to purchase an inexpensive, water proof, small bag to wear around the wrist without it coming off? Thanks for suggestions!

When you go solo to the beach you should only have things which you can bring into the water with you, or afford to lose. No one is likely to steal an old pair of shoes or a tee shirt, a beach towel is probably at somewhat greater risk. Ideally you can have a waterproof wrist or belly bag - but as a practical matter, your ship's card, drivers license (for ID), some cash and a credit card can safely get wet.

Seriously, you could probably safely ask a fellow beach-goer (you will not be the only one on your ship hitting the beach) to keep an eye on some of your things.

I have purchased a number of different type "waterproof" wallets and protectors on Amazon or elsewhere, and found maybe half work as advertised.

I don't mind if my ship's card or drivers license or even money gets wet, but i would hate to ruin a cell phone or passport. I'll do a practice run at home with the wallet by immersing it in a sink and see what happens to whatever inexpensive thing I've put inside it. If it passes the immersion test, then I'll try it in the shower. If there's any hint of wetness inside, I'll check the instructions to make sure I closed it properly, and if the seal still leaks, it's history.

I don't want to be doing this test for the 1st time on a beach!

I would advise not bringing anything that would be of interest to a thief.....it's true your towel and flip flops, tee shirt, etc....aren't wanted. and yes...make friends with the folks sitting near you...say "hi"...and chat a bit. Then you can say, "I'm hopping in the water for a second...can't you keep an eye on my stuff for a minute?" You can do the same for them!

It also depends largely on who's at the beach. If it's on a private island owned by the cruise line, I find that the majority of cruisers tend to respect each other's personal items. Politely asking someone to keep an eye on your things doesn't hurt. If you're headed to a public beach, where you would have a mix of cruisers and locals, check ahead of time to see if there are lockers for rent. Otherwise, leave your valuables (iPhone, expensive camera, etc.) in your cabin. If you must have a camera, buy an inexpensive disposable camera before leaving home. They're kind of pricey on the ship.

I am a solo cruiser that loves to hang out on the beach, and enjoy some time in the ocean... I bring my stuff from the ship (Towel, sunscreen, phone, sunglasses, ect...) in a plain plastic shopping bag. (Target is my bag of choice) I will either just plop it right down on the beach with my flip flops, or I will seek out an "honest looking" usually "older" couple, and simply ask them if they would mind watching my stuff... I have never (knock wood) lost a single item, ever...

Were I to beaqch it alone on a cruise, I woul take only my shp's I.D., wear my sunglass readers, towel form ship, a few dollars in cash and one credit card,, drivers license, those can go in a sandwich size ziploc a stuffed into my swimsuit when I go in the water. No one wants to steal my sun lotion. or paperback b ook I might be reading..

I cruise solo at times. I have a plastic case that hangs from my neck for cash, ship ID and Driver license. They sell them in Sport stores and of course Amazon. I also make cruise friends who I meet on the roll call or at the Meet and Mingle. We plan on what excursion or beach to go to.

I cruise solo at times. I have a plastic case that hangs from my neck for cash, ship ID and Driver license. They sell them in Sport stores and of course Amazon. I also make cruise friends who I meet on the roll call or at the Meet and Mingle. We plan on what excursion or beach to go to.

Thanks!