Spa tipping

MtnClimber1101

First time cruiser headed to Alaska on Holland Nieuw Amsterdam. My SO has a spa service booked. She wants to know if she should leave a tip afterwards? Or is there another way to handle it?

Also, what about everything else you normally tip for...bar service, food, etc?

Sent from my XT1049 using Forums mobile app

I too would ask on the cruise line board as this varies by cruise line.

Some spas on the ships do add in a tip of around 10% while others leave it to your discretion.

Keith

Other cruise ship spas add 15 or 18% to the bill. I rarely bring my reading glasses so I've done bad and added a tip on top of a tip once when signing the spa bill, lesson learned!!

A warning to your wife about spa services: They frequently come with a hard sell to buy additional beauty products, skin lotion, and such. She needs to be prepared to say no, No, NO! They count on people being too polite to say no, and you walk out with a bunch of stuff you don't really want. So just be aware of this in advance.

Ive not sailed HAL; but every line I’ve been in ads a tip in automatically on spa and bar service. There should be a note about it somewhere on the spa menu. Also, again, haven’t been on HAL but most lines offer spa specials on port days so unless there’s a service she has her heart set on, I always wait till I’m onboard and book one of the specials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

HAL adds a tip, no need to add more. And it is so true ---- there will be a HARD SELL to buy products. I know ..... I was too polite to say No, No, No. Many people tell them at the start of the service that they aren't interested in buying products and that seems to do it.