Missed Port

We are going through this now and they haven't made claiming it easy either. Made the mistake of not reading the PDS thoroughly and thought it was $500 per port so went with them instead of other companies...To cut the story short, we missed 3 ports and people we travelled with get $250 per port ($750), we get $50 per port ($150).

The Moral of the story, read the PDS thoroughly and use a different travel insurance company.

Which insurance company gives $250 per missed port? I wasn't aware it was an option until I read the PDS for Insure and Go.

My wife and I were on the Emerald Princess in February, 2017 when a crew member was tragically killed just as we were preparing to leave Port Chalmers. We were delayed for 24 hours while the authorities investigated the cause of the accident.

We missed Milford Sound. Under the circumstances, nobody onboard cared. Princess gave each passenger $200 in “compensation”. We donated ours to the crew member’s family in the Philippines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember the accident and that was a worthy and generous thing for you to do. Good on you.

I am not having a go at anybody but I think it is a good example to show people that they should be paying closer attention to what exactly they are insuring themselves for. Not in this case but many buy insurance only to find they are not even covered as they may have a pre existing medical condition or did not buy the right insurance.

I have been told 1cover - $250 per port per person up to $750 per person

Can confirm, just claimed 2 missed ports with 1cover and received $1000 back. I don't believe travel insurance is like car insurance where you lose your no claim bonus, as when you go for a quote it never asks who you are, or if you've claimed before.

I am not having a go at anybody but I think it is a good example to show people that they should be paying closer attention to what exactly they are insuring themselves for. Not in this case but many buy insurance only to find they are not even covered as they may have a pre existing medical condition or did not buy the right insurance.

This is good advice and I do read through the PDS, but even still the unexpected can happen, things you wouldn't generally think of. About 3 weeks before we were due in South Korea, one man returned to Seoul from the Middle East infected with MERS. Next thing you know 186 people are infected and 36 of them are dead. It just hadn't occurred to me to check if "epidemic" or "pandemic" was covered when I bought my insurance (it wasn't!).

But tourism took such a massive hit (our planes were half empty), that it prompted the South Korean government to then offer "MERS insurance" to all tourists on arrival.

People also often don't realise that acts of war or terror are usually not covered, but of course if that happened somewhere like the streets of London then DFAT would provide assistance.

This is good advice and I do read through the PDS, but even still the unexpected can happen, things you wouldn't generally think of. About 3 weeks before we were due in South Korea, one man returned to Seoul from the Middle East infected with MERS. Next thing you know 186 people are infected and 36 of them are dead. It just hadn't occurred to me to check if "epidemic" or "pandemic" was covered when I bought my insurance (it wasn't!).

But tourism took such a massive hit (our planes were half empty), that it prompted the South Korean government to then offer "MERS insurance" to all tourists on arrival.

People also often don't realise that acts of war or terror are usually not covered, but of course if that happened somewhere like the streets of London then DFAT would provide assistance.

Of course there may be unexpected events or situations that can cause issues. My point was that some people have bought insurance that isn't fit for their purpose as they didn't read the PDS and realise that they wouldn't be covered.

E.g, I know people who bought overseas travel insurance for a domestic cruise. A relatively easy mistake to make as you would think the ship goes into international waters and visits Willis island etc.

Can confirm, just claimed 2 missed ports with 1cover and received $1000 back. I don't believe travel insurance is like car insurance where you lose your no claim bonus, as when you go for a quote it never asks who you are, or if you've claimed before.

1cover is no good if your over 60 as they wont give you an annual policy and they are a bit dearer than

insure & go

1cover is no good if your over 60 as they wont give you an annual policy and they are a bit dearer than

insure & go

That’s a shame. I was going to take out an annual but husband is over 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

insure & go

Cuts me out, I am a Dinosaur, 70 in May.:') So I went with NRMA.

While we are on this age thing, beware age limitations on car rentals. I need a car in UK for 3 weeks pre/post cruises. Some companies knocked me back, but ok with Hertz so got them.:halo:

Cuts me out, I am a Dinosaur, 70 in May.:') So I went with NRMA.

While we are on this age thing, beware age limitations on car rentals. I need a car in UK for 3 weeks pre/post cruises. Some companies knocked me back, but ok with Hertz so got them.:halo:

Les i asked NRMA for an annual policy with a pre exist but they wouldnt cover me but they would with a normal policy so i went with insure & go with an annual policy with my pre exist covered

Les i asked NRMA for an annual policy with a pre exist but they wouldnt cover me but they would with a normal policy so i went with insure & go with an annual policy with my pre exist covered

NRMA covered us for an annual policy with pre existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRMA covered us for an annual policy with pre existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they wouldnt do it for me and i'm a gold member and i suppose its who you get on the phone plus they were so much dearer than insure & go

Of course there may be unexpected events or situations that can cause issues. My point was that some people have bought insurance that isn't fit for their purpose as they didn't read the PDS and realise that they wouldn't be covered.

E.g, I know people who bought overseas travel insurance for a domestic cruise. A relatively easy mistake to make as you would think the ship goes into international waters and visits Willis island etc.

No I wasn't knocking your point, it's a great point, I just thought it was interesting because who even thinks of something like "pandemic" when visiting a first world high tech city, and then it happened to me! I was just like "are you kidding me?!"... I tried to pick the right insurance and the one obscure thing that happened wasn't covered .. anyway, we went and we lived to tell the tale!

No I wasn't knocking your point, it's a great point, I just thought it was interesting because who even thinks of something like "pandemic" when visiting a first world high tech city, and then it happened to me! I was just like "are you kidding me?!"... I tried to pick the right insurance and the one obscure thing that happened wasn't covered .. anyway, we went and we lived to tell the tale!
No worries, I suppose you were very lucky then, that nothing happened.:D

That should still cover them, while they're in international waters, the same as any other insurance cover.

Mine was not an Annual policy Bob, just for the 8 weeks we are away in Europe. I had 3 lots of pre existing which they assessed on line. Premium was $750 for the two of us, I had the pre existing, the boss has none.:o I just could not risk travelling on the ANZ Platinum Card Insurance this time.:halo:

Mine was not an Annual policy Bob, just for the 8 weeks we are away in Europe. I had 3 lots of pre existing which they assessed on line. Premium was $750 for the two of us, I had the pre existing, the boss has none.:o I just could not risk travelling on the ANZ Platinum Card Insurance this time.:halo:

Les my annual policy with a pre existing with insure & go was only $575

Les my annual policy with a pre existing with insure & go was only $575

With Insure & Go annual policy does the 12 months start from the date of your first trip or the date you purchase the policy? When you took out an annual with NRMA we were covered from the date we paid for the policy but the 12 months started from the date of the first cruise so we effectively had a 20 month policy.

With Insure & Go annual policy does the 12 months start from the date of your first trip or the date you purchase the policy? When you took out an annual with NRMA we were covered from the date we paid for the policy but the 12 months started from the date of the first cruise so we effectively had a 20 month policy.

insure & go policy started when your cruise starts not when you paid the policy,,,,would NRMA pay if you cancelled out before the first cruise started