Your favorite Italy cruise Itinerary???

travelingla

Trying to decide how to do the Mediterranean cruise -- my only bucket list is Italy but I do not feel comfortable traveling all over land -- so prefer the cruise ship method with a few days here and there on land. I would love to see Santorini but it seems the 9 itineraries with Santorini that I pulled up have a lot of other Greek ports -- not really interested in a lot as I want mainly Italy. One thought I have is to consider 2 shorter cruises -- that might fit my 'wants'.

So -- I would like to hear your favorite itineraries on 'popular' (not luxury) ocean cruise lines.

Thank you for your valuable insights!

Trying to decide how to do the Mediterranean cruise -- my only bucket list is Italy but I do not feel comfortable traveling all over land -- so prefer the cruise ship method with a few days here and there on land. I would love to see Santorini but it seems the 9 itineraries with Santorini that I pulled up have a lot of other Greek ports -- not really interested in a lot as I want mainly Italy. One thought I have is to consider 2 shorter cruises -- that might fit my 'wants'.

So -- I would like to hear your favorite itineraries on 'popular' (not luxury) ocean cruise lines.

Thank you for your valuable insights!

So you need to make a few more decisions.

You have to decide what part of the Med you want to visit. There are eastern Med cruises that include Italy Greece and Turkey or western Med cruises that include Naples/Livorno/Rome, the French Riviera and some Sanish ports.

You need to decide the length of your cruise - and if you want to have a cruise that begins and ends in a different port to extend your stay.

I am mainly interested in what Italian ports most cruisers enjoy the most. I have not found one that goes around Italy -- are there any?

A couple of years ago we did a stop in Messina, Siciliy and we went to Taormina. WOw! we loved it and can't wait to go back.

We also stopped in the port of Naples and we did a drive on the Amalfi coast. Truly a spectacular experience! It blew our minds so much so that we are going back there at the end of this year.

I am mainly interested in what Italian ports most cruisers enjoy the most. I have not found one that goes around Italy -- are there any?

The 'Big Four' are Venice, Naples, Civitavecchia (for Rome) and Livorno (for Florence/Pisa) but those I have seen go from Venice to the East or combine the others with Western Med ports. I have not seen a 'round Italy' cruise, but others might enlighten me. It really does depend on where you want to start from and the length of the cruise.

Some online cruise travel sites offer search engines where you can put in various parameters such as starting port, ending port, which ports to include, etc.

Something like that is very helpful in looking at possibilities. There are a few cruises I've seen that start in Venice and end in Rome (or vice versa) but they all must call on at least one non-Italian port -- often this will be a port in Croatia (Split or Dubrovnik) and perhaps a "nearer" Greek port such as Corfu or Katakolon. Such cruises are unlikely to go as far east as Santorini, unless you're talking about a longer cruise.

One other consideration -- unless the ship also stops at a non-EU port, there will be an extra tax added to all onboard purchases including drinks, tours, photos, etc.

I am on a cruise in May (but it's a small ship) starting in Venice and also calling in Ancona, Brindisi, Taormina, Sorrento (for 2 nights) and Rome -- in addition to some non-Italy ports.

Other ports not already mentioned include ports in Sardinia (Olbia, Cagliari, Alghero), Salerno (sometimes a substitute port for Naples, it is also a big commercial port), ports in Sicily (Trapani, Palermo, Catania), Ravenna (nearer Venice), Genoa, and Portofino.

It's unlikely that you're going to find more than 4 or maybe 5 of these on a single cruise.

What is it about Italy that attracts you specifically? What ports are you already interested in?

Like the others, I don't know of any mainstream cruise lines which offer a "round-Italy" itinerary.

But in any case you're not going to see a lot of Italy on a cruise, a port-of-call day simply isn't long enough for places like Rome, Venice, or the Naples area.

Can I suggest a one-way cruise between Rome & Venice. Princess, RCI & Celebrity offer this sort of itinerary, possibly other cruise lines. Most include one or more other Italian ports - usually Naples - plus ports in Greece (incl Santorini), Croatia, mebbe Montenegro. Few currently include Turkish ports.

They're approx ten/eleven-day cruises, so add several days in Rome, mebbe also an extra day or two in Venice.

There's also a simple direct train service from Rome to Naples (worth several days for Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi coast etc) or Florence.

That'd give you a decent taste of Italy and a flavour of other Aegean countries.

If the Italian cruise lines, MSC or Costa, appeal to you do check their hours in port - a lot of their port days are only half-days.

JB :)

I highly recommend Holland America's Mediterranean Romance. Takes you all around Italy with a few extra stops, including Santorini.

One thing I would think long and hard about are the embarkation and disembarkation ports for two reasons.

One is simply ease of getting to and from them and the cost to fly.

The other is I highly recommend spending time pre and post cruise so think about what might provide you with nice opportunities to see the area.

For example a cruise transiting the port serving Rome gives you one day but really less time to see Rome given that the drive to and from the port is about 90 minutes each way so it might not be on my top list for a cruise. However, make this a pre or post cruise option allowing you to spend three or so days either pre or post cruise in Rome and I would highly recommend that.

Keith

The luxury line Viking has an Italian Sojourn itinerary.

We did a 12 night Grand Med on NCL and loved it.

Started in Barcelona and ended in Venice.

Aside from all 4 of the main Italy ports - stopped in Toulon France Athens, Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi (Ephesus). Was absolutely fantastic

One of the best itineraries, but not till October, 2019 is on Ncl Jade. It’s round trip out of civitavecchia (Rome). 14 night with only one sea day and an overnight in Venice. Other ports include Livorno (for Florence), Naples, Messina, Corfu, Kotor, Venice, Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini.

Advantage of booking so far off is some really decent suite pricing. The sf suite which is a full suite still has a couple rooms available and comes with a ton of perks, including $100/per port shore excursion credit, $300 obc, two Internet packages, speciality dinners, phone call package, beverage package, air and hotel credit too. The lower category rooms also have decent perks.

Pricing has already started to go up a little on some categories but some are still at initial pricing. Perks included, it’s probably the most decent deal and best itinerary I’ve seen in a while. Nice midsize ship that is fresh out of dry dock/makeover.

One thing I would think long and hard about are the embarkation and disembarkation ports for two reasons.

One is simply ease of getting to and from them and the cost to fly.

The other is I highly recommend spending time pre and post cruise so think about what might provide you with nice opportunities to see the area.

For example a cruise transiting the port serving Rome gives you one day but really less time to see Rome given that the drive to and from the port is about 90 minutes each way so it might not be on my top list for a cruise. However, make this a pre or post cruise option allowing you to spend three or so days either pre or post cruise in Rome and I would highly recommend that.

Keith

I agree. Embarkation city will have a lot to do with your vacation memories. We always spend at least 2 or 3 nights before the cruise if not more.. Helps with jet lag, possibility of lost luggage, late flights, etc. If I had to decide, I would have to say our best cruise was an Adriatic cruise out of Venice. Venice is a place you have to see and hopefully not only for the 8 hours in the middle of the day when cruises are in port. It is so much nicer at night, early morning, etc. You will experience a different Venice if you are spending the night there. Our cruise went to a couple stops on Eastern Coast of Italy as well as on the other side of the Adriatic, (Slovenia, Croatia, etc.) We enjoyed the Slovenia stop the best but there were all good.

Rome is also a great embarkation point. Close 2nd to Venice in my opinion. Agree with Keith that a one day stop at Civi and going to Rome is a pretty hectic way to see such a large city with lots of ancient history.

Have fun.

One of the best itineraries, but not till October, 2019 is on Ncl Jade. It’s round trip out of civitavecchia (Rome). 14 night with only one sea day and an overnight in Venice. Other ports include Livorno (for Florence), Naples, Messina, Corfu, Kotor, Venice, Dubrovnik, Argostoli, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini.

Advantage of booking so far off is some really decent suite pricing. The sf suite which is a full suite still has a couple rooms available and comes with a ton of perks, including $100/per port shore excursion credit, $300 obc, two Internet packages, speciality dinners, phone call package, beverage package, air and hotel credit too. The lower category rooms also have decent perks.

Pricing has already started to go up a little on some categories but some are still at initial pricing. Perks included, it’s probably the most decent deal and best itinerary I’ve seen in a while. Nice midsize ship that is fresh out of dry dock/makeover.

That sounds like a brilliant cruise. DH loves 7 day cruises but will not agree to longer or I would be looking at that for us. October is a great time for visiting - mid summer can be brutal.

• 2 months later...

Holland America has this cruise starting Oct 15 2018. My wife and I will be on this cruise doing a back to back Venice to Barcelona - Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

As stated before, fly to Venice a couple of days early to recoup from the flight and to enjoy the city.

itinerary_300x225_.png