Health insurance only?

Clay Clayton

Hubby and I are newly retir...ahem, no longer working:Dand are about to depart on a seven month long trip to determine where we want to spend the next stage of our lives. We have COBRA which will cover us in the US but not outside. We have trip/evacuation/accident insurance through my Chase Preferred so I only want to buy health insurance to cover us while our the US. However all the policies I can find are set up for ex-pats living in a single country rather than for someone traveling for a lengthy period or include the coverages I already have and don't need to duplicate and pay for.

If anyone can point me in the Right direction to find what we need it would be most appreciated!

Hubby and I are newly retir...ahem, no longer working:Dand are about to depart on a seven month long trip to determine where we want to spend the next stage of our lives. We have COBRA which will cover us in the US but not outside. We have trip/evacuation/accident insurance through my Chase Preferred so I only want to buy health insurance to cover us while our the US. However all the policies I can find are set up for ex-pats living in a single country rather than for someone traveling for a lengthy period or include the coverages I already have and don't need to duplicate and pay for.

If anyone can point me in the Right direction to find what we need it would be most appreciated!

GeoBlue, IMG, and Atlas Travel Medical all sell medical only. They usually will quote only six months or fewer before a trip. They sell by the trip ot by the year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

When I have tried to get a quote they required a foreign address. I’ll try again.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay - IMG is the GlobeHopper "Senior Single Trip policy.

Atlas is Atlas International for US citizens.

GeoBlue is only for US citizens.

I may have inappropriately identified you as a "senior," so if so, I'm sorry!

Henry Werch

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

You can buy many regular policies and specify $0 trip cost - this is called "Zero dollar coverage". This means you will not be reimbursed for expenses if you have to cancel the trip before you go, but you will be covered for medical costs, emergency evacuation, etc. while on the trip.

(You should actually insure $1, there is a technicality in coverage start date that works to your favor if you specify $1 cost instead of zero.)

Thanks to all for their advice. We ended up getting a GeoBlue plan that was VERY reasonable-under $400 for both of us for a year. This policy provides us medical coverage outside the US and my COBRA policy covers us inside so we think we are good. The only hiccup is that the GeoBlue expects you to be on trips no longer than 60 days. And a trip is defined as being out of the US which may be an issue if we get sick in late June before we return for a day before heading to Ecuador. But we decided that the two or three day risk was worth taking since the other option was a full policy good in and out of the US that was going to be about 500 a month more than what the COBRA policy is costing.

Fingers Crossed we didn’t make a bad decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk