By Land or By Sea?

Nieuwcruiser

How much time do you have for your trip?

For exploring Southeast Alaska, a cruise ship is a great option for going from Island to Island. For Southcentral Alaska & the Interior, a land cruise with a rental car is the best option. I'd suggest doing some research on the different regions of Alaska and decide what you want to do.

In addition to what you find here on Cruise Critic, you can also explore on the Trip Advisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we do Alaska cruises. This state is so large that a cruise in SE Alaska gives us an excuse to visit a very different part of our state. You might consider a DIY land trip and then a southbound cruise departing from Seward or Whittier. Or do something really different and consider using the Alaska Marine Highway System (our state ferry system) to visit some SE Alaskan communities.

We just did a land tour and cruise last year, one week on land and then one week on a southbound cruise from Seward. We wish we had more time for the land portion. There is just so much to see and do. While we did enjoy the entire vacation, we enjoyed the land portion more. If I had to pick one over the other, I would recommend the land portion. If you have the time, and want to do both, I recommend spending AT LEAST one week on land before the cruise.

We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we do Alaska cruises. This state is so large that a cruise in SE Alaska gives us an excuse to visit a very different part of our state. You might consider a DIY land trip and then a southbound cruise departing from Seward or Whittier. Or do something really different and consider using the Alaska Marine Highway System (our state ferry system) to visit some SE Alaskan communities.

I don't recommend the ferries for visitors unless they have their own car. It usually doesn't work out cheaper than a cruise and in many cases is more expensive when you factor in meals, a stateroom, etc. It has a schedule based on tides to get into and through certain places, and the terminals are usually a ways out of town. For example, you may end up in Juneau at 3am in the morning at a terminal that is about 12 miles from downtown.