Mendenhall Glacier-save time and cost with Evergreen Taxi

MTV43

We returned from 7 day inside passage cruise via Seattle on Emerald Princess back in June 2017. Thanks everyone for your answers to my inquiries prior to the cruise.

Few months before the departure date, I tossed and turned to find a best way to visit Mendenhall Glacier with the odd docking time from 2:30pm - 10:00pm. There are 4 options: 1) public bus-the cheapest ($2 pp each way) but it takes at least 1 hour to get there + 1 1/2 miles walk from the bus stop the park entrance. 2) Express shuttle $35 pp each way, the returned schedule does not work well for us. 3) Rent a car - we made reservation with Avis about $120 ish, but our ship docked at AS, the walk is about 1 mile to Avis office at AJ dock, well we don't have time for this. 4) Evergreen taxi is the best option for the following reasons:

1. Shane Williams was very prompt with all my inquiries

2. Booking process was simply

3. The most important factor - no time to be wasted. He waited for us at the designed area across the dock at the time we agreed on 2:30pm. At 3pm we were at the park and arranged the pick up time at 5:15pm. We were back at the ship at 5:45pm and made it to our first seating dinner. We practically had the entire place for ourselves, about 5pm cruise ship shuttles started to drop passengers after the excursions, the place was packed.

4. Cost $35 one way + tip. $5 for park entrance (everybody has to pay it unless you have National Park pass) +$2 pp for taxi to enter the park. Even with only 2 persons, still very much worth it giving the limited time in port. However, if you have more in your party, it is the best option. His vehicle can hold up to 10 passengers (I think). We had 15 in our group, with 2 cars, we had 2 senior citizen National Park passes, so we all saved $5 entrance fee pp. Total up $140 round trip for 2 cars + $30 ($2 fee) + tip. Less than car rental cost and hassle free; much less cost then express shuttle.

It was the best decision and we had a wonderful time at Juneau

Thank you, MTV43. This info is so helpful. I was thinking of using the public transit for my family but the taxi may seem like a more logical option with the limited time we will have.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We, too, used Shane in Juneau. He picked us up promptly from Harv & Marv's dock, so that we didn't waste time getting to Mendenhall. Shane is very personable and knowlegable about Mendenhall and Juneau area.

We asked him to pick us up at 5:30 and he was on time. He brought his lovely wife-- and we enjoyed chatting with both of them while driving us back to town.

Last time we went, we had lots of time in port so we took the city bus there and walked, which was fine, but as already mentioned, it took a long time. On the way back, we shared a taxi with another group of visitors and it was less than $40 for the whole car.

They have a list of 5 or 6 local taxi companies at the visitor center and they'll even let you use their phone if you don't have a cell phone. The first guy I called was a jerk so I told him to forget it and went with a different one.

So the taxi option is available even if you don't pre-book and want to remain completely flexible. But keep in mind that you will probably have to wait 20-30 minutes for them to send a car for you after you call.

• 6 months later...

For others looking into taxi info between cruise dock and Mendenhall, I found this chain from last year.

We will be dropped off at Mendenhall by our whale watch van, so we needed to find a flexible way back to the cruise docks. Evergreen sounds like it may be the way for us to go.

-Jerie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just received this email from Evergreen taxi. I had made a reservation a couple of months ago. Does anyone have additional info about this? It makes the total cost of a taxi much more than I anticipated. Maybe we are better off taking the group shuttle?

as of June 15th, the company has started to charge a $10.00 per person surcharge on all trips to the Mendenhall Glacier; this is on top of the Federal Forest Service Fees. The total cost per person is 17.00 per person 16 years and up and 12.00 per person 15 years and down.

Sincerely,

Shane Williams

as of June 15th, the company has started to charge a $10.00 per person surcharge on all trips to the Mendenhall Glacier; this is on top of the Federal Forest Service Fees. The total cost per person is 17.00 per person 16 years and up and 12.00 per person 15 years and down.

So, for a family of 3 it would cost $75-$80 each way?

So, for a family of 3 it would cost $75-$80 each way?

Call and ask. The phone numbers for 3 cab companies are listed in the Forest Services link I posted earlier.

Please post their responses; i'm sure it will impact a lot of folks this summer.

(OTOH the cabs are large; find someone on your ship to share the cost and its an affordable excursion. )

• 8 months later...

I just spoke with Shane from Evergreen Taxi.  He said the cab fare itself is metered but will run approximately $35 one way.  In addition, there is the mandated surcharge of $17 / for those 16 years+ and $12 / for those 15 years-.  This includes the surcharge and entry into the Tongass National Forest.