Children?

pauon

Anytime school is on holiday, expect a lot of children. If you prefer a quieter cruise, try Holland America or something like Seaborne or a longer cruise or simply go in the off season.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who has been cruising since she was 5 years old, I can say that a number of lines offer children's programs for various age groups.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

And yes there's a lot of them (almost as many activities as the adults). All will be led by staff members working in the kid's club.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

Maybe my question wasn't specific enough; I am asking if on this line there are many children in the summer and if this line has a children's club? We have been an on lots of cruises on different lines, but like the Windstar sailing experience. We are looking for similar cruise alternatives and only asking if there are many children on this particular line in July.

I have sailed on two Star Clipper cruises and there were no children on board whatsoever. There may be more during school holidays but I think there are likely to be very few. If you are travelling though warm to hot areas swimming might be a problem to parents with non-swimmer children as some of this is off shore as opposed to in the pool.

The ships are very small or tiny in comparison with major cruise lines. The facilities do not include a children's club or child minding, night-nursery etc. I think if you took children stuff might be organised on an impromptu basis. Have you checked the fare-basis children are charged? Some lines do it at less than adults, Star Clippers with a child is going to be expensive and sea-sickness is likely due to the nature of the vessels. In conclusion during school holidays children will be scarce. I suggest emailing the cruise line to obtain a ball park figure for typical sailings you are thinking of doing.

Regards John

We have sailed on SC multiple times in the Caribbean and in the Mediterannean - both Eastern and Western itineraries - and we have seen children but rarely. There are no organized activities designed for children and the ship's character seems tilted towards a sailing, country club set. Having said that, the kids were welcomed whole-heartedly and shortly into the cruises, both crew and passengers seemed to delight in their company and their excitement. The crew seemed to delight in showing the children the many aspects of sailing - tying knots, navigation, hauling lines, and such - and the kids were eager to participate.

I suppose there are aspects of socialization to be experienced such as dining, conversation, and other adult-centric activities that can be used as valuable life lessons as well.

Only you know if your children might fit into this small ship, non-digital experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a family with a brother and sister maybe 7 and 8 on our Venice To Athens cruise July 2015. The family was from Istanbul Turkey. The children were very well behaved. They entertained themselves by drawing, playing, cards and going in the pool. The family took child friendlier excursions. They were used to traveling and eating in restaurants with their family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the point here is that you CAN certainly bring kids with you, but the line does not (to my knowledge) have any formal kids club or even anyone to babysit them. In other words YOU will have to keep an eye on them, and entertain them. If they are anywhere as active as mine were, good luck this would NOT be a peaceful or relaxing trip for you... Our experience on Star Clippers has been that the ships are filled with mostly middle aged, (or older) people who LOVE sailing and the seas. As with others here I have not seen many (2 or 3) kids on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Have sailed with Star Clippers many times. Usually there have been few if any children, most passengers being above the age of having school age children. But sailing from Rome to Venice last summer I was struck by how much lower the age group was, and there were at least a dozen children on board. Star Clippers do not cater specifically for children but they are made most welcome.

• 1 month later...
This looks very inviting, similar to Windstar where there are very few children. We really like that, no offense, but ours are grown and there is a multitude of ships that love kids.

If you are a Windstar vet, you will find many similarities with Star Clippers. There are subtle differences too that will be apparent especially between the clipper ships and the 3 Windstar motor yachts. Personally I would describe a Clipper customer as more adventurous while I might describe a Windstar customer as a bit more country club. But way more similar than different.