FIRST TIME SOLO cruising

miraprincess

I know Royal Caribbean has limited numbers of studio cabins on some of their newer ships, but I'm not sure what they have for solo traveler programming. By far Norwegian offers the most, with entire sections of studio cabins on 5 of it's ships (Epic, Escape, Breakaway, Getaway, and Bliss) and solo get togethers each night that are organized by the cruise staff. The rooms are very well designed for a solo traveler and don't waste space. Save for a water closet for the toilet, everything else is in the main room.

Some of the best parts of the room in my opinion:

- Access to the Studio Lounge, that had complimentary juice and snacks throughout the day, as well as a bartender during the solo meet and greet hours. It also provided a nice spot to relax and read during at-sea days

- Lots of convenient storage in the room, including space for suitcases under the bed and good use of space for all of your clothes.

- An advantage over a regular inside room is the glazed porthole. It allows in light from the hallway without letting people see in, and can be half-covered or fully covered at night.

- Because the room is designed for a single traveler on every single cruise, and this may be the best part of these rooms, you get a full-size mattress instead of two singles being pushed together to form a "cruise queen".

Hello friends. I would like to know which cruise lines offer studio or solo travelers discounts. Are these rooms really comfortable. Will there be other solo travelers that we can meet.

Thanks

None of them, at least not unless you catch a sale.

Seriously. There are a couple of lines that offer solo rooms (small, interior) like NCL and RC, but they're not always discounted. They're marketed as having "no supplement", but that's only an advertising gimmick as they are already priced higher than the per-person charge in another cabin. In fact, in some cases, it's cheaper to pay the supplement in a larger cabin than to pay for a "no supplement" solo cabin, so be sure to do your research.

I think one of the best values for solo cruisers is on Crystal, where supplements are about 30% on window cabins on virtually every cruise, not just on a few that are on sale. It looks like it's a lot of money, but if you actually run the numbers to see what's included, you might find it's not all that different for many cruisers.

I agree with CalliopeCruiser, you should check out what the single cabins are compared to a full size cabin and paying the supplement. I have seen inside and ocean view cabins cheaper than the solo cabins, even with the supplement you pay for the larger cabins. There is not a lot of difference in most of the mass market lines so I usually choose based on itinerary and price. I have not sailed with the more upscale lines like Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Oceana, and the others, so I can't tell you much about them. Anyway, just relax and enjoy your first solo cruise, no matter who you sail with, but I should warn you, It can get addicting. As far as single gatherings that will vary by line, most lines have a singles meeting, but some are good and some not so much. Happy sailing.

Miraprincess,

I sail NCL exclusively due to the great solo deals among other things. Sometimes I can get the deal I am hoping for about 60 days before sailing. Other times, not until pretty close to sailing date. Anyway, I have cruised in a Studio cabin twice (Epic & Breakaway). These cabins are functional but in some cases they are more expensive than a regular cabin. I prefer the extra room in a regular cabin and sometimes I have been able to snag a balcony at zero or no more than 25% single supplement.

As noted by some above, when you are pricing cruises, always compare the rates of different cabin categories to see where the best deal is.

Edited by IrieBajan54
punctuation

I find the best deals with NCL, check a website called cruiseplum. For information only, they don't sell anything, you will know when there is a good deal. Check it regularly because they update it daily. If you find a good deal then you can book it with your preferred travel agent or website.