Flat iron incident

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their flat iron on a cruise. Two years ago we cruised on RC Freedom of the Seas. I was using my flat iron and it burned my hair! No hint it was overheating or anything. We will be cruising next month on Princess and I’m paranoid about using my flat iron. I’ve replaced the one from the prior cruise but I’m still leery. Would a surge protector help?

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their flat iron on a cruise. Two years ago we cruised on RC Freedom of the Seas. I was using my flat iron and it burned my hair! No hint it was overheating or anything. We will be cruising next month on Princess and I’m paranoid about using my flat iron. I’ve replaced the one from the prior cruise but I’m still leery. Would a surge protector help?

No, a surge protector only protects against high voltage, like lightning strikes. Was the flat iron usable after the incident? If not, it was a 110v unit plugged into the 220v outlet, and since the voltage doubled, the amperage doubled, and hence the wattage doubled (the power or heat). Even if it was a "dual voltage" unit (rated for 100-240v), the power converter "brick" on the iron may be not quite right, and allowing too much current.

Surge protectors are prohibited on ships as a fire hazard.

You can't use a surge protector on Cruise ships because of the way they are wired and grounded. You'll either have to trust the one you now have (I'm assuming you're using it and it's performing normally,) or leave it at home.

Did you happen to put a euro 2 prong adapter fitting on the US 2 blade plug and then connect a 110v iron into a 220v euro outlet? If so, that's your likely culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surge protectors are usually not allowed on ships. Check your ship/cruise line.

Did you happen to put a euro 2 prong adapter fitting on the US 2 blade plug and then connect a 110v iron into a 220v euro outlet? If so, that's your likely culprit.

Is that even possible.

Sure it's possible. It's also an incredibly stupid thing to do if the unit isn't dual voltage.

Hello, by the chance is the brand bionic. ? If so you can't travel

Outside North America with it . I had a curling iron that I used in Italy and the same thing happened. If you use a regular brand like chi it may work.

Outside North America with it . I had a curling iron that I used in Italy and the same thing happened. If you use a regular brand like chi it may work.

Somewhere on the body, usually by the cord, will be a notice saying 110v-240v if it’s dual voltage. DD has one hair appliance that is only 110v.

Doesn't matter what the brand is. If it is 110v you can't plug it into a 220v outlet without ruining it and possibly starting a fire. Many brands make both single and dual voltage versions of the same type of appliance.

Is that even possible.

Sure it's possible. It's also an incredibly stupid thing to do if the unit isn't dual voltage.

Yes, I can't count the number of hair dryers, and other things (mainly electronics in the past) that were 110v and plugged into a 220v outlet using a plug adapter. Depending on how much plastic is in the hair dryer or flat iron, you usually end up with a fist full of melted plastic. All depends on how quickly the heating elements burn through and interrupt the circuit.

Slightly off topic but does the Flat Iron building in New York city sell any flat irons?

Just FYI ...

The Flatiron Building, originally the Fuller Building,[A] is a triangular 22-story[5] steel-framed landmarked building located at 175 Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York City, which is considered to be a groundbreaking skyscraper. Upon completion in 1902, it was one of the tallest buildings in the city at 20 floors high[6] and one of only two skyscrapers north of 14th Street – the other being the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower, one block east. The building sits on a triangular block formed by Fifth Avenue, Broadway, and East 22nd Street – where the building's 87-foot (27 m) back end is located – with East 23rd Street grazing the triangle's northern (uptown) peak. As with numerous other wedge-shaped buildings, the name "Flatiron" derives from its resemblance to a cast-iron clothes iron.[7]

Just FYI ...

The Flatiron Building, originally the Fuller Building,[A] is a triangular 22-story[5] steel-framed landmarked building located at 175 Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York City, which is considered to be a groundbreaking skyscraper. Upon completion in 1902, it was one of the tallest buildings in the city at 20 floors high[6] and one of only two skyscrapers north of 14th Street – the other being the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower, one block east. The building sits on a triangular block formed by Fifth Avenue, Broadway, and East 22nd Street – where the building's 87-foot (27 m) back end is located – with East 23rd Street grazing the triangle's northern (uptown) peak. As with numerous other wedge-shaped buildings, the name "Flatiron" derives from its resemblance to a cast-iron clothes iron.[7]

So no burning hair with that one then?;p

Just FYI ...

That’s what I thought this thread was about when I opened it.