Any recent Silversea travellers?

Tillylovesseabourn

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience of SS? I ask this with the current issues on SB. Has SS improved, and how does it compare to SB these days? SS has contacted a family member several times trying to convince her to revisit them, but after bad experiences with food and service not dissimilar to my own I thought I would do some research.

Thanks

There are two former regular SB cruisers who have recently cruised SS- plus Markham - who have recently posted on the SS board in a thread I was following before Christmas. Both were very impressed. Hopefully one or both will see this thread.

Also, another SB regular who took several world cruises and was always onboard over the holidays was trying SS for the first time during Christmas 2017. . I haven't caught up his thread because I was away on SB at the time. I'm not sure if he's likely to see this thread so I'll see if I can find the one on the SS board and link it over here.

Edited by Isklaar
Edited, misread OP so my first paragraph was irrelevant.

It was the food quality on SS that led us to try SB. And then we liked SB so much we said we'd never go back to SS. And now we're seriously considering a return!

The regular world cruiser hasn't been back with an update on his experience on Muse, this was the last post I could find. Interesting final post on this thread!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2573520

I know Markham was on Silver Whisper a few months ago and enjoyed it so very likely you'll get some direct input on this thread!

I've been on Seabourn, Silversea and Regent within the past 18 months. I'd say they were operating on just about the same level. Cabins and suites are very similar. There are subtle differences. I very much like Regent's lack of dress code and can cope with Seabourn's relaxed attitude. Silversea is a bit more stuck in the old way but there are ways round it. I dislike Silversea's butler policy for all suites. I thought Regent had the best food overall and for some destinations I like Regent's decision to make most of their shore excursions included in the cost. I probably wouldn't want that in the Med or the Caribbean where it's always better to do your own thing but in places like Japan and China it's an advantage, I think. So I think Regent might be best for us overall but the Quest remains the best ship we have ever been on.

Cruised with SS last August on a 16 day cruise.

Found both experiences similar. ( However including the Encore, SS much better ) Would not sail on Encore again but would sail on the Odyssey class ships.

Kind regards,

Tony

A lot of SS sailors say the same thing about the mUse as you say about the Encore. The Muse is larger than the rest of its fleet and has a very strange dining system. They prefer the smaller ships.

I am on Silversea at the moment. I have enjoyed the food in the main dining room and the crew have been lovely. I enjoyed my food in La Champagne but my husband found his lamb tender but lacking in flavour. We cancelled our second visit as we think once a cruise will be fine. The included wine is fine but we would rather spend the extra money getting more premium wine. The cost of the Premium is very good in comparison to Seabourn.

We went to La Terrazza last night. I wasn't a fan of their Duck Ragu with Parpadelle as we felt the pasta was gluey. The Veal scallopine was very tender but not very flavoursome.

We will try Hot Rocks out in a few nights.

We are back to the MDR tonight and are looking forward to it.

I agree with Fletcher that as lovely as our butler is, I am not feeling any benefit from it and in fact it seems to add an extra step when I want to organise something. So I have taken to try to avoid it and go straight to ask at Reception or the Shore Concierge desk so I can get an answer directly.

Just My Opinion.

Cheers,

Julie

Lacks flavor? While you are on board try taste testing beef/pork/chicken at one sitting. Try it with eyes covered.

I'm betting you will not be able to identify what you are chewing.

I had the duck breast tonight and it was delicious :). My variety of sashimi as a starter was also very good.

Julie

Tilly, WRT the OBC, Julie's post reminded me that the selection of premium wines is superior and much better value on SS. At least it was last time I was onboard and as Julie's mentioned it I'm guessing that's not changed. So if they drink wine, that's a good way to get rid of some sizeable OBC.

At least, it would be for me. <hic> ;)

I am on Sojourn now and am thinking about what I liked about Whisper when I wrote my November review.

To put things into more perspective, I have to say it is sort of easy to characterize the Ody ships whereas Silversea is probably much more difficult. Seabourn’s design suits me better eg Whisper (and maybe sister Shadow?) is tired and there is nothing like the Seabourn Observation Bar. But more importantly to me, Seabourn’s multinational and confident crew and officers make cruising with them a pleasure. Silversea staff are far less engaging and visible eg “who is the hotel director anyway?) and so my onboard experience with Silversea Whisper was flat.

I don’t know about the new Muse but I have booked on expedition ship Cloud. Silversea seems to be 3 separate brands. Seabourn far less so; we love the Ody ships, Encore we like far less, mainly due to outdoor and some indoor space limitations.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Thanks Markham, we too are Ody class fans. It is indeed a choice between Whisper or Shadow for next yrs Mediterranean selection, so maybe not so good, judging by the amount of complaints about the tired looking nature of these two. Who knows eh, luxury problems!

Mr Luxury, yes it always conjures images of the Costa Concordia for me.

I had the duck breast tonight and it was delicious :). My variety of sashimi as a starter was also very good.

Julie

There have been alot of adverse comments about the condition of the SS ships online, many people found them dated and worn. Can you tell us your view so far - is your ship tired?

There have been alot of adverse comments about the condition of the SS ships online, many people found them dated and worn. Can you tell us your view so far - is your ship tired?

The decor reminds me of the small Seabourn shops.

For us though the Club in deck 5 is quite dark and dated. Panorama on Deck 8 is a bit barn like, not as appealing as the observation bar on the Ody ships.

I really enjoy the rapport with the Filipino crew but agree the Officers keep to themselves. I don’t need them to fawn over me but some smile or interaction would be nice. Maybe it’s different if your a long term Silversea client.

Hi Julie,

Any noticeable differences regarding dress code

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Mr L

Definitely more dressy on formal and informal night especially but on casual night it is quite casual. We have had 2 casual in 5 nights so far.

We did see a few more casually dressed on formal night but maybe they were dining at Hot Rocks. It didn’t concern us :). They were kind enough to let us join them in the crowded club area pre dinner.

Cheers

Julie

Thanks Markham, we too are Ody class fans. It is indeed a choice between Whisper or Shadow for next yrs Mediterranean selection, so maybe not so good, judging by the amount of complaints about the tired looking nature of these two. Who knows eh, luxury problems!

Mr Luxury, yes it always conjures images of the Costa Concordia for me.

Hi Tilly

I know it is a bit first world problem but I understand wanting to get it right.

We are enjoying some aspects of this cruise but missing other aspects about Seabourn.

We had such a great cruise on Sojourn in July so we were spoilt.

I do think at times there seems less wait staff in the dining area on Seabourn so it can be an issue.

Again this is only my opinion and others are welcome to disagree

Cheers

Julie:)