International flight in many years

Cruiseoholic000

This summer I will be going on a international flight for the first time in over sixteen years. I like to have a idea of what to expect. I am signed up for global entry program( joined a travel group) and will be traveling with my senior mom. We are flying from Logan to Amsterdam. On the way home we are flying from Basel to Amsterdam. Then Amsterdam to Logan. We are planning to bring carry on only.

I am looking for for suggestions on what to expect. Since we have a layover in Amsterdam do we have to do anything special with security? We are flying on affiliated airlines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we have a layover in Amsterdam do we have to do anything special with security? We are flying on affiliated airlines.
That's got less to do with it than where you are going next after Amsterdam. Is that Basel as well, or are you heading somewhere else?

The other question is what you mean by "layover". Do you mean you're simply connecting between flights within a short time?

That's got less to do with it than where you are going next after Amsterdam. Is that Basel as well, or are you heading somewhere else? On the return flight I am heading from Amsterdam to Logan Airport in Boston

The other question is what you mean by "layover". Do you mean you're simply connecting between flights within a short time?

On the return flight home I am going from Basel to Amsterdam.on KLM and then I have to wait for the Delta flight from Amsterdam to Logan Airport Boston.

On the return flight home I am going from Basel to Amsterdam.on KLM and then I have to wait for the Delta flight from Amsterdam to Logan Airport Boston.

I’ve done that exact route a couple of times. Last time when I flew to Amsterdam, it took quite a while to get through passport control. Other than that, the airport is well marked. Make sure you enjoy stroopwaffels (cookies) on KLM. I always buy some at the airport to bring home.

Also, I have Globel Entry, and it works very fast at Logan.

This summer I will be going on a international flight for the first time in over sixteen years. I like to have a idea of what to expect.

In terms of what? Inflight service? Inflight hard product? Ground services? Procedures at BOS, AMS and BSL? Amenities at BOS, AMS and BSL? Specific questions can yield specific answers.

I am signed up for global entry program( joined a travel group) and will be traveling with my senior mom.

Not quite sure how joining a "travel group" relates to Global Entry, which is a program administered by the US government. Are you sure you have GE? Did you go through an application process, interview and approval? Also, your GE will not help your mother through immigration and customs. She would require it as well.

We are flying from Logan to Amsterdam. On the way home we are flying from Basel to Amsterdam. Then Amsterdam to Logan. We are planning to bring carry on only.
Carry-on or not, you still have the same immigration and customs procedures. Also, have you checked the carry-on restrictions? On KL, you will only have 12kg of allowance.

I am looking for for suggestions on what to expect.
Again, in what regard? You will get a flight across the Atlantic in a large aluminum or composite tube. Seat accomodation will be tighter than what you had 16 years ago.

Since we have a layover in Amsterdam do we have to do anything special with security? We are flying on affiliated airlines.
You will have the standard security screening and procedures for flights to the USA. Details on the AMS airport website. You will also have outbound Schengen immigration processing. And again, this is assuming you have a connection, as the term "layover" has no official meaning in the airline industry, while "connection" and "stopover" do.

It is too bad I can’t delete this post. Just wanted to know what to expect when traveling internationally from security, customs and stopover. I didn’t expect belittling comments.

Effective Communications is a 2 step process.

One person effectively communicates their questions or desires while the other person understands the exact information the first person is requesting.

If the first person doesn’t clearly and effectively state exact information requested, then the second person either gives erroneous information or asks for clarification of requested information desired.

FlyerTalker was only asking for clarification of information requested.

You will have to go through a Delta check in at AMS in addition to security on your return flight.

However, just a few days ago AMS announced that it will accept TSA Pre. I don't know what effect that will have on the Delta check. You should have this all cleared up long before you travel.

The weight limit will really put a strain on your travels. Flying Delta, or KLM for that matter you do get your first bag free at 50 lbs in the main cabin, 70 in business class. Just thought I'd mention that. Your luggage will easily transfer between these Delta partners and you do not have to go through a luggage check at Schipol. Of course you don't have to carry that much but it sure beats getting hit with an overweight fee. We have found the corridors in Schipol to be very congested too so the less carry on the better.

On our last trip through Schipol in May we did have four gate changes due to a late arriving flight. Be sure to monitor your flight while you are in the terminal.

It is too bad I can’t delete this post. Just wanted to know what to expect when traveling internationally from security, customs and stopover. I didn’t expect belittling comments.

If your Mom also has Global Entry this will save you some time when you get back to Logan. Global Entry will also qualify you for TSA pre-check on your flight out of the USA....if you put your Known Travelers Number (KTN) on your airline ticket info (you do this online with the airline) and if your airline is participating in the TSA Pre-check program (most foreign airlines are NOT in the program although KLM is participating. But many major foreign airlines (including British Air) are not a part of the system.

Changing flights in Amsterdam is a good thing. Schipol is one of the better European airports for plane changes. Just get yourself to the airports (at both ends of your trip) somewhat early (2 1/2 - 3 hours) to ensure that you are not put into a rush situation. Also be aware that the security checks can sometimes be a pain....but its for our own safety.

When you land at Logan your Global Entry will make it somewhat faster. But you still have to go to a Global Entry Kiosk and it will scan your finger prints (and Passport) and then spit out a form that should get you right through immigration. If there is a long immigration line, you will bypass that crowd/...which is the big benefit.

Hank

This summer I will be going on a international flight for the first time in over sixteen years. I like to have a idea of what to expect. I am signed up for global entry program( joined a travel group) and will be traveling with my senior mom. We are flying from Logan to Amsterdam. On the way home we are flying from Basel to Amsterdam. Then Amsterdam to Logan. We are planning to bring carry on only.

I am looking for for suggestions on what to expect. Since we have a layover in Amsterdam do we have to do anything special with security? We are flying on affiliated airlines.

Applying for GE and getting it are vastly different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am signed up for global entry program( joined a travel group) and will be traveling with my senior mom.

The way this is worded, it sounds as though you are saying that you somehow got signed up for global entry by virtue of joining a travel group. As that's not how it works, I'll assume that's not what you meant, but for the benefit of others who may be following, I'll elaborate...

Joining a travel group doesn't get a person signed up for global entry. Global entry is something that must be applied for on an individual basis, and your travel agent or group leader can't do it for you. You apply, then go through an in-person interview at or near an airport with a CBP representative, and then await your approval. Once you get it, the associated benefits apply only to you, not to anyone else in your family or anyone else with whom you may be traveling.

The way this is worded, it sounds as though you are saying that you somehow got signed up for global entry by virtue of joining a travel group. As that's not how it works, I'll assume that's not what you meant, but for the benefit of others who may be following, I'll elaborate...

Joining a travel group doesn't get a person signed up for global entry. Global entry is something that must be applied for on an individual basis, and your travel agent or group leader can't do it for you. You apply, then go through an in-person interview at or near an airport with a CBP representative, and then await your approval. Once you get it, the associated benefits apply only to you, not to anyone else in your family or anyone else with whom you may be traveling.

AND, getting an interview can be a pain if you don't live in a major city. I live in Kansas City, and had to go to Dallas for my interview (before the KC station opened). Now, even though there is a KC station, it's extremely limited and my wife is going to Chicago in a couple of weeks for her interview (don't know why she waited so long to do GE, but oh well). Dallas and Chicago were very easy to get interview times for, but smaller cities...not so much.

Some advise. Don't bother with Global Entry. This is a program for frequent travelers in and out of the US. There a complex interview process for it. I would just do the regular process.

Security in very similar around the world. Some differences from domestic travel in the US.....

- The US security people have some thing about x-raying shoes. The rest of the world does not. Unless you shoes have some metal substrate in them it is a non-issue.

- The US security people do a passport check as part of security. In the rest of the world that is not the case. In Canada it is done by the airline as you board. In Europe it is done by the airline either at the gate or not at all.

As far as passport control goes:

- You clear passport control on entry into Europe. Amsterdam in your case. Checked baggage is automatically transferred. Given you have a US passport, for most people they will stamp it and welcome you to Europe.

- When you leave Europe (Amsterdam) in they will find the entry stamp in your passport and next to it put an exit stamp. Also fairly painless.

KLM and Delta are partners, when you check in they should issue you with all the boarding passes you need for the entire trip.

Amsterdam is a big airport. Not certain of your or your mothers age and mobility. If you are concerned about walking long distances, give either Delta or KLM a call and they can arrange to have a cart waiting at arrival to expedite your transfer.

So the question is often raised, "should I apply for Global Entry." Consider that it costs $100 (even if you are rejected) which is good for 5 years. Money wise we are talking about $20 a year which gets you TSA Pre-check (most of the time) and expedited entree through US International airports when you return from outside the country. In addition, for cruisers there is an expedited line (or head of the line privileges) at both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami. As other have said, the interview process (you must have a face to face interview) is a pain if you live some distance from an interview site.

We think it does make sense for those that fly more then a couple of times a year. TSA- Precheck is a very nice thing to have at busy airports and we think that this alone is worth $20 a year.

As to expedited clearance of immigration and customs at airports, its a two edged sword. For example, the last time we returned to the USA (at ATL) we were quickly through immigration while others had to wait 15-20 minutes. So once through we have to stand and wait for our luggage to arrive...which took 40 minutes (by which time all those who did not have Global Entry had also cleared immigration. So we simply avoided one queue for another :(.

Hank

As someone who used to stand in line at Logan [bOS] for well over an hour to re-enter the country after a very long flight, GE has been the best thing to expedite my return. Funny, there are more agents helping people at the GE kiosks than at the end of the long, painfully slow lines.

Darcy

So the question is often raised, "should I apply for Global Entry." Consider that it costs $100 (even if you are rejected) which is good for 5 years.

If you have the Amex Platinum or Centurion charge cards, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card, or a bunch of other cards, you can get the application fee back as a statement credit. Here's a recent blog post that details various cards that offer this benefit.

LINK HERE

If you have the Amex Platinum or Centurion charge cards, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card, or a bunch of other cards, you can get the application fee back as a statement credit. Here's a recent blog post that details various cards that offer this benefit.

LINK HERE

Tis true. We have an AMEX Platinum that will now cost us $2750 for 5 years...and yes,,,they will give us back the $100 Global Entry (but I still must pay for my DW). If we used a Chase Sapphire Reserve the card would ONLY cost us $2250 (for 5 years) and would rebate the $100 Global Entry fee (once every 5 years). So,,,,I do think folks should run out and get this high end affinity cards just to save $100 once every 5 years :).

But to be serious, very frequent travelers such as myself do benefit from these high end affinity cards. But most travelers do not get enough benefits to justify the cost. And we would certainly not let a $20 per year credit (if you spread the cost of GE over 5 years) influence our decision on a high end card that generally costs $450+ per year.

Looking at your link, the Sun Trust card did perk my interest and might actually be a good deal. But we would have to take the time to carefully explore the fine print of that card. But even that card would cost $356 for the first 4 years.

We should mention that the higher end affinity cards do generally require an excellent credit rating and history.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

... As other have said, the interview process (you must have a face to face interview) is a pain if you live some distance from an interview site.

We think it does make sense for those that fly more then a couple of times a year. TSA- Precheck is a very nice thing to have at busy airports and we think that this alone is worth $20 a year.

It's not just $20 a year, though. Each year, it's $20 plus one-fifth of the time and money costs for attending the interview. If the latter amounts to (say) $400 then you're talking about an annualised cost of $100 a year. If you only fly a couple of times a year, then that's quite a big add-on to your air fare in order to save a little time at the airport on each occasion.

If you have to re-enter the US from overseas frequently, then Global Entry really comes into its own.

Some advise. Don't bother with Global Entry. This is a program for frequent travelers in and out of the US. There a complex interview process for it.

I agree with this.

To the OP, instead of Global Entry, consider downloading the Mobile Passport App. This app is free and it will allow you to enter all of your information for US Customs on your phone in advance instead of at the kiosk at the airport. When you land back in the USA, you will then proceed to a separate line for mobile passport users which allows you to bypass the regular (and usually long) line. The Customs agent then scans your phone, takes a quick peek at your passport, and you are on your way! It’s very easy and efficient.

I travel internationally at least once a month and I’ve resisted getting Global Entry simply because Mobile Passport works so well. Most of the time, I clear Customs faster than my work colleagues using Global Entry because they still need to stop at a kiosk. Many times, I’m the only person at the Mobile Passport line. I use it frequently at major airports, like Atlanta, New York Kennedy, Minneapolis, Detroit, and Seattle and it works just as efficiently in all of them.

Downloading the Mobile Passport app takes only a few seconds. It’s free, very simple, there is no application process, and it will make your return to the USA after your vacation a total breeze. Have a great cruise! [emoji3]

I don't see where you were "belittled."

The answer came across a bit condescending. And while the OP’s first post may have been a bit vague, I understood that all they wanted to know was information on what to expect specifically pertaining to security when flying International. Sometimes people in these forums are too quick to reply, even if they have valuable information to offer.

Edited by Tapi

Some advise. Don't bother with Global Entry. This is a program for frequent travelers in and out of the US.

Tis true. We have an AMEX Platinum that will now cost us $2750 for 5 years...and yes,,,they will give us back the $100 Global Entry

most travelers do not get enough benefits to justify the cost.

No one suggested that the OP should get GE, nor did anyone suggest that she should get any particular credit card simply to cover the cost of GE.

Based on how her post was worded, some questioned whether she actually had GE or not, but no one suggested that she needed to get it if she didn't. Subsequently after the cost was mentioned, someone mentioned that if you happen to have certain CC's they cover the cost, but no one said anyone should go out and get one of these credit cards solely for this benefit. A lot of people have such cards though, and don't realize this is a benefit of the card. I've informed several friends of this benefit; they had an Amex platinum already and were considering getting GE and had no idea the cost was a non-issue due to the card.

while the OP’s first post may have been a bit vague, I understood that all they wanted to know was information on what to expect specifically pertaining to security when flying International.

She mentioned having GE in a way that made it sound questionable as to whether or not she actually had it or not. And whether or not she had it makes a difference on what to expect, both when going through security and when going through customs upon returning to the US. Yes, people can be very direct on this board. If one is looking for information and answers to questions, one can choose to either get offended by such responses and declare that they are no longer participating in the thread, or one can suck it up and say, "well, I don't like the way these answers sound, but I WAS a bit unclear/vague and I still need this information and these answers, so maybe I should go ahead and clarify what I meant so that I can get the information I came here for."

Tis true. We have an AMEX Platinum that will now cost us $2750 for 5 years...and yes,,,they will give us back the $100 Global Entry (but I still must pay for my DW).

Interesting. I put Mrs FT's GE application fee on my Plat and it got credited without a blink of an eye. FWIW, the application was a few weeks after mine.

YMMV

If one is looking for information and answers to questions, one can choose to either get offended by such responses and declare that they are no longer participating in the thread, or one can suck it up and say, "well, I don't like the way these answers sound, but I WAS a bit unclear/vague and I still need this information and these answers, so maybe I should go ahead and clarify what I meant so that I can get the information I came here for."

And we still have no idea what the "travel group" and Global Entry have in common.

Let me try an example of vagueness: "I haven't been on a Carnival Cruise. What should I expect?"

How wide ranging would THOSE answers be? And how usefull?