Short Layover in PHL

CaptFantastic

Hi everyone,

I'm flying to San Juan in November and have started to look at flights. One option that keeps popping up is American (if I remember correctly) from YOW to PHL then on to SJU. The layover in PHL is 54 min and a note says there's a terminal change. I believe I'll clear customs in YOW but I'm not sure - I did a layover in PHL a number of years ago on the way to Seattle, but can't remember where I did customs.

Anyway, do you think 54 minutes is too close? What if I do clear customs in YOW, is it still too close? I think it must be OK because it's an option they offer, but any kind of delay and I'm not sure I'll make it...or my bag.

Thanks,

Chris

You will clear US immigration and customs in YOW, correct. You're likely to arrive in to PHL at the F gates, and leave out of the A gates (likely...not guaranteed). As expected, this is the worst case scenario as they're the farthest apart. There is a shuttle from F10 to A1, and you do NOT need to re-clear security. This will take several minutes, plus any potential waiting for the bus. Let's say 15 minutes in total, so you're down to 39.

So, :54 is doing, but barely. I would recommend sitting as far forward in the YOW-PHL flight as possible to increase your changes. I've made 55 minute connections at PHL before with an F to A (or vice versa) change...but I really try not to.