Alaska cruise in September - which one?

Friend100

Alaska cruise in September - which one?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Alaska cruise in September - which one?

• Island Princess 5-night from Vancouver, balcony cabin
    • Ovation of the Seas 7-night from Seattle, inside cabin

Option 1: Island Princess balcony cabin, roundtrip Vancouver inside passage, calling Juneau and Ketchikan. This is only a 5-night Alaska sampler cruise.

Option 2: Ovation of the Seas inside cabin, roundtrip Seattle, calling Juneau, Skagway, Endicott Arm and Victoria. This is a typical 7-night roundtrip cruise.

The per diem $ cost is about the same for both options. I understand none of these two will be going to Hubbard Glacier / Tracy Arm / Glacier Bay / etc., and if I have time adding a land tour can be so much better. But just literally comparing between the 2 choices - first one only 5 days but we can do a balcony; the second option is 7 days on a new ship designed for Alaska sailing but it is an inside cabin.

If you had to recommend one of them, which one?

I'm a Princess fan but for this I'd choose the Ovation. More days is always better and you will get glacier viewing in Endicott. I've done Alaska 25+ times and have never had a balcony. probably half in an inside. Remember the ship is a thousand feet long with many outside decks to find a spot with a view. Moving around gives you many different perspectives. I'm the type that if I have a balcony I'm always wondering what I'm missing on the other side view. lol

I take it you must just be in the area, because I'm not sure I would pick either one of the cruises if it included you had to make a special trip out that way just to take these cruises.

Much better itinaries out there to take.

Jimbo:)

The Ovation is out of Seattle, which is a deal breaker for me. I don't like going outside Vancouver Island out to sea when I can cruise up the inside of Vancouver Island. September is a good time to see Orcas in Johnstone Strait and bears on beaches. Plus if the weather is even a little bad you will rock and roll for a day and a half out of Seattle. From Vancouver it's just the Queen Charlotte Strait passage.

Thanks for everyone's comment. While I understand these two options are less than ideal, your input actually helps us to set the priority straight in terms of itinerary, ships, cabin, and length of cruise. For now, we are going with a southbound itinerary from Whittier to Vancouver, going to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP on Princess (we book Royal Princess for now but will keep watching the price of Coral or Island Princess).

Thanks for everyone's comment. While I understand these two options are less than ideal, your input actually helps us to set the priority straight in terms of itinerary, ships, cabin, and length of cruise. For now, we are going with a southbound itinerary from Whittier to Vancouver, going to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay NP on Princess (we book Royal Princess for now but will keep watching the price of Coral or Island Princess).

Golden Princess is doing that same itinerary.

I wouldn't do either.

Ovation designed for Alaska sailing?? Really?

That's how I am being perceived, with "features" such as North Star, Two70, indoor solarium, etc. Please share your insight.

Edited by Friend100

That's how I am being perceived, with "features" such as North Star, Two70, indoor solarium, etc. Please share your insight.

These features have been on ships that have never been to Alaska and probably won't be. I wouldn't read too much into what you perceived to be Alaskan cruise features.

I think Ovation has the worst itinerary in Alaska.

I wouldn't go on a 5 night cruise to Alaska unless I happened to live right next to the port (didn't have travel expenses) and got a good price.

I would look around more. Do you have to go in September? The potential for the worst weather of the season happens then.

...I had to smile to when I saw "designed for Alaska....." too.

Glad you have made another choice.....

Since I have cruised on Anthem, a sister sip to Ovation....is all I can say is, I love the ship and activities on it.....

However, remember all these activities need to be scheduled ahead of time and if weather is lousy, there will be reschedules or cancellations. They only allow u one ride on North Star and IFLY per cruise, and there are limited times when these activities are open. Two70 would produce awesome views...and the bionic bar what a kick...the puzzle room(only has 36 participates for the whole cruise) Rock wall & flow rider..might be a little chilly....Have seen pax bring wet suits though.

Does anyone really want to be dealing with all this when you are cruising Alaska...? well, honestly. I might want to;)....I love that class ship, just like I Iove Oasis....and RCI & X in general...but I will only cruise Princess to Alaska just sayin...

Edited by land lover