1 More Cruise Questions for my 20 year old...

door60

Norwegian has 2 cruises that work for my son and both lack something where I am concerned, but if you had to choose, which cruise would you prefer...

The Jewel: Leaves from Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Vancouver (I'm really upset they dont pass Glacier Bay)

or

The Pearl: Leaves from Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Victoria, Seattle

(I really would like to see the inner passage)

Thanks again

Ports matter. Port times matter. How long do you have in those locations? Particularly Juneau and Skagway?

I'd probably do the Jewel assuming the port times are a lot better. Either one could be ok. You sure you won't see the Inside Passage on the Pearl?

The one way itineraries almost always have more time in port than the round-trip cruises. Glacier Bay is nice, but Hubbard is impressive as well. I wouldn’t give up Icy Strait Point and longer port times just for Glacier Bay, but others will probably disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one way itineraries almost always have more time in port than the round-trip cruises. Glacier Bay is nice, but Hubbard is impressive as well. I wouldn’t give up Icy Strait Point and longer port times just for Glacier Bay, but others will probably disagree.

I would.

I would also think of including Glacier Bay on a first trip to AK and would select that itinerary.

I completely agree. I would go back to the Coral Princess. Great times in port, great glacier days. Less sea days compared to other itineraries. Love the people speaking on the ship.

Coral Princess would definitely be my choice over Pearl and Jewel. Last time I was on NCL -- I paid for specialty dinner every single night as the food in the dining room was awful. I feel nickel and dimed constantly on NCL.

Glacier Bay is a must for a first time cruise. Anything else you stand a chance and some years a good chance of missing your glacier day.

Coral Princess would definitely be my choice over Pearl and Jewel. Last time I was on NCL -- I paid for specialty dinner every single night as the food in the dining room was awful. I feel nickel and dimed constantly on NCL.

Glacier Bay is a must for a first time cruise. Anything else you stand a chance and some years a good chance of missing your glacier day.

Hmm, that's a good point. Do you guys enjoy food?

I'm on the Norwegian section a lot now because I'm going on the Bliss. However, the nickel and diming I see NCL do is extremely annoying. It's taking me months to adjust so that when another nickel and dime situation pops up, I'm not super annoyed. People love them for certain reasons, but personally, I think they're possibly the crappiest cruise line out there (it's between them and Carnival). Feeling nickel and dimed everywhere you turn can really affect how a person feels on a cruise. To me, good service and good food can really make up for a lot. I've seen enough on the boards that I don't expect great service (outside of the Haven suites; you learn to read between the lines and see how people dismiss complaints). Food is acknowledged to be bad on Norwegian. My parents and friends have been on them, and they've cruised other lines. They've universally said Norwegian's food is awful outside of the specialty restaurants.

After looking at your posts for a while and digesting it, I'd really just say book the Coral Princess. Your son will be fine. It's Alaska with family. It's not Spring Break with his Frat in Mexico. Any concession you make to try and make it like a Spring Break party cruise isn't going to be worth the sacrifice in terms of being an "ideal" Alaskan cruise.

I think part of the issue is that people on Alaskan cruises are different than Caribbean/Mexico cruises. Especially if you pick an itinerary that has good port days. You are gone all day doing stuff, nightlife isn't as important than the Caribbean where people go to the beach and party on the ship at night. Even my RCCL cruise was very mellow at night. People report the same on Carnival. I would focus on itinerary and what you are doing in port (as excursions are expensive).

I think part of the issue is that people on Alaskan cruises are different than Caribbean/Mexico cruises. Especially if you pick an itinerary that has good port days. You are gone all day doing stuff, nightlife isn't as important than the Caribbean where people go to the beach and party on the ship at night. Even my RCCL cruise was very mellow at night. People report the same on Carnival. I would focus on itinerary and what you are doing in port (as excursions are expensive).

Boy, isn't that the truth. My then boyfriend, now husband's first cruise was to the Caribbean. We were in our mid 20's. I do think Alaska is about the ports and less about nightlife. I think I'm getting old.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I hate NCL. But you can drive yourself crazy trying to get the perfect itinerary in Alaska! We're going this summer, and we gave up trying to get the ideal itinerary, and just focused on something we'd enjoy. There's apparently amazing scenery everywhere. Who's to say this is your ONLY Alaskan cruise? We're going on Carnival- we've always had a good time on Carnival, and they have the best programs for kids. Yes, I've been on pricier lines- but I don't particular enjoy being stuck in a time warp from the 1950s. The problem with NCL is that the food in the dining rooms is deliberately mediocre to force you to pay for the specialty restaurants.

Fun fact- we are friends with an “active” couple in their mid 60’s. Both love Caribbean cruising. The wife surprised her husband with an Alaskan cruisetour, and he absolutely hated everything about it. He loves the fun and sun of the warm ports. They live in MN like us, and he grumbles that there were too many “old people” and he “didn’t see anything that he couldn’t see at home”. Lol- not sure we see many whales at home ;)

Anyways, everyone else we know who’ve gone love it, no matter the ship :). Looking forward to doing a NB out of Vancouver on the Radiance this summer! We picked it because we think we’d like the ship and ports, and have limited time & $$ for vacationing. If time and money wasn’t an issue, we would have done a long cruisetour with Princess.