Need advice on Caribbean vs Mexico (concerns and advice)

LandsB

Hi,

I need some advice from more experienced cruisers!

I live in Los Angeles. My wife and I have taken the 2 ½ day LA to Ensanda cruise and reallyliked it (not the destination but the experience). I’m now looking into better options.

The “obstacles” I face while making a decision:

• - I don’t fly, so I’ll have to drive to theGalveston TX port.
  • - When I get sick (flu or whatever), it hits mehard
  • - I have a sensitive stomach

There are longer 7 day cruises that leave from LA that go tonicer parts of Mexico with what looks like nice beaches (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta,Mazatlan, etc…) I’ve been hesitant tobook them because I’m admittedly paranoid about getting a bug in Mexico andbeing stuck on the ship for 3-4 days.

I’ve also always wanted to get my wife to the Caribbean. There are 7 day cruises that leave Galvestonand go to Cozumel, Montego, Grand Caymen, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya… There is a similar concern about getting sickduring a long cruise.

My assumption is that the Galveston cruises will be muchmore scenic, warmer water and nicer beaches, and overall a better choice.

Sorry for the long post – I guess what I’m looking for is:

• - General advice
  • - Is there in fact, less of a chance of catching abug (the stomach type or other) in the Caribbean vs the stops in Mexico Imentioned?
  • - Is the water that much nicer and warmer (bathlevel vs cold)?
  • - Any feedback on the pros/cons of each cruise

Again, thanks for the time and help.

LB

Hi,

I live in Los Angeles. My wife and I have taken the 2 ½ day LA to Ensanda cruise and reallyliked it (not the destination but the experience). I’m now looking into better options.

• -I don’t fly, so I’ll have to drive to theGalveston TX port.
  • -When I get sick (flu or whatever), it hits mehard
  • -I have a sensitive stomach

There are longer 7 day cruises that leave from LA that go tonicer parts of Mexico with what looks like nice beaches (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta,Mazatlan, etc…) I’ve been hesitant tobook them because I’m admittedly paranoid about getting a bug in Mexico andbeing stuck on the ship for 3-4 days.

I’ve also always wanted to get my wife to the Caribbean. There are 7 day cruises that leave Galvestonand go to Cozumel, Montego, Grand Caymen, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya… There is a similar concern about getting sickduring a long cruise.

My assumption is that the Galveston cruises will be muchmore scenic, warmer water and nicer beaches, and overall a better choice.

• -General advice
  • -Is there in fact, less of a chance of catching abug (the stomach type or other) in the Caribbean vs the stops in Mexico Imentioned?
  • -Is the water that much nicer and warmer (bathlevel vs cold)?
  • -Any feedback on the pros/cons of each cruise

LB

In regards to stomach bugs, colds, or other such illnesses, ports are not really the issue. It's what the people onboard the ship bring aboard with them (It's my vacation, I'm not going to miss it just because I'm hacking up a lung/or can't keep anything down/or have a fever/you name it).

Personally, I'd go with a Caribbean cruise, but we've also done several Baja/Mexico cruises with no issues.

Also be aware, depending on time of year, the port at Galveston can get fogged in (delayed embarkations/delayed debarkations). Sometimes by days.

As long as you eat in the ship there is no difference in getting stomach related foods. I would just eat on the ship

and avoid food off the ship.

Mexican cruises out of Los Angeles or some type of Cruise out of Galveston is fine.

Personally I would go with a seven day cruise over a short cruise that tends to be drinking cruises.

Mexico is nice with beautiful places to see. So I would go with that over sailing out of Galveston.

Again just eat on the ship.

As to getting viruses, etc that can happen anywhere. I would just use as much caution as you can including washing hands frequently,

not touching hands and nose, keeping a little extra distance when speaking with others etc.

Keith

As long as you eat in the ship there is no difference in getting stomach related foods. I would just eat on the ship and avoid food off the ship.

Agree with Keith, and we avoid all beverages (no ice in anything either).

How about letting Amtrak take you from Los Angeles to Galveston if you decide to sail out of there?

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice so far.

FYI: I would be taking a Carnival cruise from both ports...

Agreed on only eating on the ship. That's what I did on the one-day stop in Ensenada. It will be tougher at the nicer ports since we'd be off on excursions longer, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

I'm curious about the OCEAN water. Any issues there with Mexico vs the Caribbean?

Thanks for the Amtrak suggestion, but I would probably rather drive than spend 66 hours on a train.

Anyone have feedback on those specific ports?

I have done the Mexican Riviera multiple times as well as land based trips to PV on multiple occasions, the last being earlier this month. I have also sailed the Caribbean on at least 4 occasions although always out of Fort Lauderdale.

Personally in your situation I would opt for the west coast cruise. It would avoid the drive to start with so that is a plus right there. As previously noted Galveston has the rep of potential for fog and delays.

As to ports. Cabo can be looked upon as LA south. Very tourist oriented. It does require a tender but no big deal. We have done a beach day, gone for the day to San Jose del Cabo for a more Mexican experience and done an ATV tour so you have lots of options.

PV is a popular spot for us as it is the farthest south we can fly nonstop from the Bay Area. I would suggest a day in town, walk the Malecon, hit the shops , have a drink etc., with friends we did Las Caletas which was fun but pricey .

In Mazatlan we have done the tour of the town but our favorite activity was horseback riding on Stone Island followed by shrimp and beer at Victor’s on the beach

For the other cruise we have done Chatanab Park in Cozumel, a good choice. Mahogany Bay is basically a purpose built cruise port with activities, we went elsewhere. The Caymans we did a tour with turtles,etc. We couldn’t do the swim with the rays as it was too windy.

I have never sailed with Carnival so I won’t comment on that issue, we generally go Princess but have also done HAL.

I eat and drink off the ship but not with street vendors, generally in restaurants that I have found on tourism sites like CC or TA.

Have fun.

Agreed on only eating on the ship. That's what I did on the one-day stop in Ensenada. It will be tougher at the nicer ports since we'd be off on excursions longer, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

I'm curious about the OCEAN water. Any issues there with Mexico vs the Caribbean?

Thanks for the Amtrak suggestion, but I would probably rather drive than spend 66 hours on a train.

We've done both west coast Mexico/Sea of Cortez and Caribbean. We found the water in the Caribbean warmer, and clearer. However, we saw MUCH more marine wildlife on the Mexican cruises. The warmer water was a bit of a letdown, since it would have been (for us) nice if we'd been able to cool off in the water, which we couldn't since the water was too warm to be cooling. Snorkelling in the Caribbean is very good overall. As for safety of ingesting the ocean water? I have no idea. I do know that DH has suffered no ill effects from either Mexico or Caribbean.

Our first cruise to Mexico we were also very worried about food safety. We're over that now ;) and eat on shore, but not from street vendors. Like another poster said, use Trip Advisor to identify places that cater to tourists in each port. Or if on an excursion buy some packaged food. Drink only bottled water.

Personally for your first "long" cruise I would suggest the path of least resistance -- cruise from near home. Avoid the road trip.

We did a Caribbean cruise last winter, nothing this winter :( , and have a Mexican cruise booked for next winter.

Although no warm waters, you might also consider combining an LA to Vancouver with an Alaskan Vancouver to Seattle with a return by car or Amtrack - such as 4N Coral Princess 5/5/18 to 5/9/18, couple of nights in Vancouver and then 7N Solstice 5/11/18 to 5/18/18 with a car or train return.

PEOPLE are the cause of illness...not the ship. You are worrying needlessly about something you can't control. If you cruise in the winter months, that's the PRIME illness season....both Flu and Noro are in schools and other places where people congregate....it's the height of the sick season. That will transfer to cruises, airplanes, hotels, etc. You don't hear about illnesses that happen in other places, because hotels, and airlines aren't REQUIRED to report them, like cruise ships must.

So....either suck it up and take your chances, or wait until late spring or summer, when the "bugs" are less intense. Being sick isn't a cruise ship problem....it's a PEOPLE problem.

The water is generally more aqua blue and the sand is less coarse on many Caribbean beaches than on the Pacific side, IMO. One concern in the Caribbean might be tiny jellyfish larvae that hatch in the springtime months and can give a bather tiny bites.

I've only experienced this (twice) in Cancun and Playa on week long land vacations rather than a short cruise stop. I've used jellyfish sunscreen repellant since then if I'm porting at Cozumel or Costa Maya in say April and never had a problem with this issue again.

Since you have to fly anyway, I would head to Florida where there are many more choices. Ports, cruiselines, style of cruises, etc.

No..... OP said in his initial post they are NOT flying. See below:

• -I don’t fly, so I’ll have to drive to theGalveston TX port.

What exactly are you asking about the ocean water? Will it be as blue and warm on the Pacific coast as in the Caribbean? No. Is it rough water you're concerned about? Depending on the time of year, both can either be smooth or rough; I think it rains more in the Caribbean but that's anecdotal.

If you're concerned at all about food-borne illness in ports, take Dukoral before you go. It's an oral vaccine, available without a prescription that is extremely effective. If norovirus is what you're thinking of when you refer to the flu, well, it's present on cruise ships at all times, just like on land. Your best defense is to wash your hands meticulously and maintain your general health (get adequate sleep and don't drink too much).

Given your issue with driving to port, I'd try the Mexican Riviera itinerary first. If you find the 7 day cruise suits you, do the Caribbean out of Galveston next year.

Hi,

•  
  • - I don’t fly, so I’ll have to drive to theGalveston TX port.

• - When I get sick (flu or whatever), it hits mehard

• - I have a sensitive stomach

•  
  • - General advice

• - Is there in fact, less of a chance of catching abug (the stomach type or other) in the Caribbean vs the stops in Mexico Imentioned?

• - Is the water that much nicer and warmer (bathlevel vs cold)?

• - Any feedback on the pros/cons of each cruise

LB

You need to "suck it up" and fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

• -I don’t fly, so I’ll have to drive to the Galveston TX port.
  • It is about 1,600 miles, and quite a bit of it is not scenic in any way.
  • -When I get sick (flu or whatever), it hits me hard
  • That is something to discuss with your physician.
  • -I have a sensitive stomach
  • There are OTC medication to help your stomach, but again refer to your physician.

There are longer 7 day cruises that leave from LA that go tonicer parts of Mexico with what looks like nice beaches (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta,Mazatlan, etc…) I’ve been hesitant to book them because I’m admittedly paranoid about getting a bug in Mexico and being stuck on the ship for 3-4 days. You can get sick anywhere, any time. Your best defence is to wash hands, wash hands, wash hands, and keep your hands away from your face.

I’ve also always wanted to get my wife to the Caribbean. There are 7 day cruises that leave Galveston and go to Cozumel, Montego, Grand Caymen, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya… There is a similar concern about getting sick during a long cruise.

See above.

My assumption is that the Galveston cruises will be much more scenic, warmer water and nicer beaches, and overall a better choice.

The Caribbean is going to be warmer than the Pacific.

• -General advice
  • -Is there in fact, less of a chance of catching a bug (the stomach type or other) in the Caribbean vs the stops in Mexico I mentioned?
  • You can get sick anywhere in the world including when you are home.
  • -Is the water that much nicer and warmer (bathlevel vs cold)?
  • It's not bath tub water warm but it is warmer, think low to mid 80's
  • -Any feedback on the pros/cons of each cruise
  • I personally cannot imagine driving that far for a 7 day cruise, and having to drive back.

I hope you find something that will work for you.

LB

Good luck in whatever you decide. What does your wife want to so?

The Caribbean is definitely the preferable itinerary, imo. The question is - is it worth a 24 hour drive, in each direction? Only the OP can answer that. For me, no way. But maybe I'd feel differently if I too were a non-flyer.

Just throwing it out there as another option - 14-day cruise from LA to Hawaii, with a stop in Ensenada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

First, to put the “bug” question to rest, I have unfortunately been ill on cruise ships a few times over the last 35 years. And none of them have been in Mexico, or because of something that I ate ashore. Besides cruises, I’ve visited many places in Mexico, both for work and for vacation. Mexico City, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Merida, Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, and Ensenada. Not once have I been ill. You just need to be careful about what you eat and drink, and where.

Going back to cruising, From Juneau, Alaska to Nassau, Bahamas, every time I’ve been ill it’s been because of something that I ate aboard the ship, not ashore. The best piece of advice that I can give you whether on a cruise or land vacation, is that you avoid places like buffets and that you wash your hands frequently.

About destination recommendations: I would normally recommend the Caribbean over the Mexican Riviera, but with your limitations, I would hesitate.

- The itineraries out of Galveston are somewhat limited because of its geographical location. Some of these ports are not the best that the Caribbean has to offer. You will almost certainly stop in Cozumel, which although very nice and topographically different than Mexican Riviera ports, it’s still Mexico and has the same vibe as ports like Cabo San Lucas. Seems like an awful long time to spend in a car to visit another touristy part of Mexico.

- As others mentioned, Galveston has a tendency to fog during certain months of the year which will adversely affect your cruise, so keep that in mind as a possibility.

- The drive to Galveston from where you live is roughly 1,600 miles. That’s a treacherous and gruesome drive just to sample a 7 day cruise.

I would kindly recommend that you start by booking a 7 night cruise out of Los Angeles and see how much you enjoy the longer cruise length. If you do, then you can branch out for your next cruise and maybe take the drive.

Please excuse me if it’s none of my business, but why won’t you fly? If it’s for reasons that specifically prohibit or exclude you from flying, then it’s understandable why you need to impose this limitation. But if it’s for reasons that can be overcome, then you would truly open up the choices and possibilities that would make taking a Caribbean cruise the right choice if you fly.

The Caribbean is a vast and wonderful region, with some fantastic ports of call. But to truly enjoy what it has to offer, you may need to travel farther (at least to a Florida port of embarkation) where you can take an itinerary that will offer something truly different from what you can experience on a Mexican Riviera cruise.

A BIG THANK YOU toeveryone that has replied so far. I really appreciate it, and it’s already madea difference. I’ve decided to definitely book one, which is a big step.

Here’s a few answers to questions and other details to fillin the gaps:

• ·We’d be cruising June-Sept (we want to sunbatheand hate the cold)
  • ·I can’t fly because of a heart condition (but I don’tmind you asking as I’d tell people to get over it to if it was fear based)
  • ·I completely understand that “people on the ship”are the cause of outbreaks when they happen, not the ship itself
  • ·Prior to last year I’d never cruised – now I’mabout to go on our 3rd 3-day cruise, so I am seriously asking thesequestions for a reason
  • ·I’m from Los Angeles and live by the beach, so there’snot novelty just from the beach itself

I will definitely not eat food on shore, but only on theship and packaged. I was more concerned about catching a “bug” (stomach orotherwise) from the ocean water or from general contact.

To give more of an explanation about why I’m considering thedrive (and I agree it’s going to be a pain), is that because I can’t fly, I’venever got my wife to a place like this:

shutterstock_211991803.jpg?itok=Rm6MHRYy

My assumption is that the LA-Mexico cruise won’t haveanything like this. Maybe I’m wrong. We’re not as much into site-seeing, butmore a relaxing vacation at a beautiful place.

“ -The itineraries out of Galveston are somewhat limited because of itsgeographical location. Some of these ports are not the best that the Caribbeanhas to offer. You will almost certainly stop in Cozumel, which although verynice and topographically different than Mexican Riviera ports, it’s stillMexico and has the same vibe as ports like Cabo San Lucas. Seems like an awfullong time to spend in a car to visit another touristy part of Mexico.:”

The other possible ports (besides Cozumel) are Yucatan, GrandCayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Costa Maya, Freeport, Key West and Montego Bay. Wouldthose differentiate themselves from Cozymenl/Mexico?

A few more questions:

• ·I know the water in the west coast of Mexico won’tbe “Caribbean warm,” but will it be pleasant? I’m from LA, and the beach water hereis too cold for a 40-something J
  • ·It seems like a strange question, but I’ve beenworried about the ocean water in Mexico, and catching something from that. I figuredif the ground water made its way into the ocean? Is this a valid fear? Anysimilar concern for the Caribbean?

Again, I know I sound paranoid. But working through thesequestions helps.

Sorry I’m not responding to every suggestion, but I haveread every one and taken note.

Thanks.

LB

Edited by LandsB
Spacing issues

The other possible ports (besides Cozumel) are Yucatan, GrandCayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Costa Maya, Freeport, Key West and Montego Bay. Wouldthose differentiate themselves from Cozymenl/Mexico?

From the ports mentioned, Grand Cayman is my favorite and I would try to find an itinerary that includes this port. The island is nice, the beaches are beautiful, and the water is some of the clearest I’ve ever seen anywhere I’ve ever traveled to.

I do enjoy Cozumel, and it does have some wonderful beaches. The only thing that I don’t like about it is that it can be overrun with tourists. It’s not uncommon to be in port with 5-6 other ships and 20,000 other cruisers.

The Bahamas in general are overrated. My biggest pet peeve is with their hospitality, which at times feels nonexistent, almost like they are bothered with tourists. Freeport in particular isn’t very attractive, at least where your ship docks which is an ugly industrial port. But there are some nice beaches a short cab ride away.

Yucatan (Progreso) doesn’t have pretty beaches and the ship docks at the end of a 4 mile long pier. But it’s a good hop off point to visit the Mayan Ruins of Chichen Itzá as well as the colonial town of Merida.

Mahogany Bay. Belize and Costa Mays offer many attractions but they do require that you explore well beyond the shore. Otherwise you’ll be held hostage at a welcome center with chain stores.

About Montego Bay, be aware that there are some concerns about security due to increased crime activity. And even without that, a lot of people dislike stopping anywhere in Jamaica.

About your concerns with the ocean, you have nothing to be worried about. You will not get sick just by jumping in the ocean. The water is most likely cleaner than any water in the vicinity of where you live. But do drink bottled water in order to avoid any gastrointestinal surprises.

One final thing worth mentioning is that August-September fall in the hurricane season (mid September being the peak), so there’s always the possibility that there may be a canceled or replaced port of call if a hurricane is threatening ports along your itinerary.

Travel insurance that has good medical coverage is a good idea.

You can go to Hawaii on a cruise to see the some of the most beautiful water and beaches. Mexican Riviera will have very nice beaches too. I would avoid driving that route to Galveston, it is not as scenic as many drives. In particular the drive home after the cruise is always depressing to us.

How about a back-to-back Panama Canal trip.

LA to Miami and back to LA, though it might not fit into your time frame (June to September)

Also, if you really like road trips....Do the Panama Canal to Miami or FLL and rent a car or take Amtrak back to LA.