Fukuoka

Ellaleah

Fukuoka is be our first stop when we leave on the Ovation in May. Does anyone have experience to say what the top thing to see might be. I believe there are 3 different castles (2 appear to be a bit far). I am open to taking the ship excursion, but which one? I believe the castles are Kokura or Karatsu. I’d be great full for any input.Thank you.

Fukuoka is be our first stop when we leave on the Ovation in May. Does anyone have experience to say what the top thing to see might be. I believe there are 3 different castles (2 appear to be a bit far). I am open to taking the ship excursion, but which one? I believe the castles are Kokura or Karatsu. I’d be great full for any input.Thank you.

Typically, the number one thing to do in that area is to visit https://wikitravel.org/en/Dazaifu.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
We took the train to Dazaifu last November. Walked around a lot and rode back from a different station. Helpful tourist information people gave us a good map of Dazaifu.

How long would I need to allow for a stroll at the Dazaif Tenmangu Shrine?

How long would I need to allow for a stroll at the Dazaif Tenmangu Shrine?

From the railway station to the shrine is maybe a 15 minute walk if you don't stop at the shops and restaurants lining the street. Apart from the shrine there are interesting back streets with a smaller shrine etc. So an hour in all at least. If you walk from there back to the other railway station, you walk past fields,interesting houses and gardens and some other much less visited shrines and maybe meet some friendly Japanese like we did. We walked about 3 miles and took half a day there.

• 1 month later...
From the railway station to the shrine is maybe a 15 minute walk if you don't stop at the shops and restaurants lining the street. Apart from the shrine there are interesting back streets with a smaller shrine etc. So an hour in all at least. If you walk from there back to the other railway station, you walk past fields,interesting houses and gardens and some other much less visited shrines and maybe meet some friendly Japanese like we did. We walked about 3 miles and took half a day there.

Thanks, Scottish Maid.