Shanghai Disneyland

Tniel183

Thank you, you have been extremely helpful. Disney hotels are booked, guides for all of our Japan and South Korean ports are arranged, it was just those final transportation questions I was having difficulties with. After searching various sites, as usual our Cruise Critic people have come to the rescue.

Have a great time planning your last Disney Park. We took the train out...very easy too navigate. Just don't be surprised if the park closes before the time listed online. (that happened to us. They closed at 7pm instead of 9. The park is small so we had plenty of time to see it all just no shopping time at the end. The shops did not stay open longer.)

Thanks for the DLP tips. Disney fans rock! We can’t wait to go. Trying to pair it with a European NCL Cruise. Let the planning begin :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a Viking cruise in China last July. We had one full day in Shanghai and my wife and I opted to skip the Viking tour and go to Shanghai Disneyland and had a fantastic time.

The Fast Pass purchase has changed since we went, for example, Fast Pass was not available for Pirates, but we also felt it was worth every penny. If you had more than one day there, you probably wouldn't need it.

The day we were there, park tickets sold out, so it was packed. We did a ton by buying the passes. Expensive, but worth it.

SDL is a massive park. It feels like you walk 20 minutes to get from land to land. It was also oppressively hot and humid, but fortunately, the water and Gatorade weren't crazy expensive.

Tron was really fun and I loved the Challenge Trails (you'll never see those in a US Disney park), but Pirates was amazing.

We did a Viking cruise in China last July. We had one full day in Shanghai and my wife and I opted to skip the Viking tour and go to Shanghai Disneyland and had a fantastic time.

The Fast Pass purchase has changed since we went, for example, Fast Pass was not available for Pirates, but we also felt it was worth every penny. If you had more than one day there, you probably wouldn't need it.

The day we were there, park tickets sold out, so it was packed. We did a ton by buying the passes. Expensive, but worth it.

SDL is a massive park. It feels like you walk 20 minutes to get from land to land. It was also oppressively hot and humid, but fortunately, the water and Gatorade weren't crazy expensive.

Tron was really fun and I loved the Challenge Trails (you'll never see those in a US Disney park), but Pirates was amazing.

Thank you for adding a great review for future cruising Disney fans!

@Tniel183 - We are doing all three parks on our cruise vacation next year! We’ve been to the HK park but that was back in 2007 after it opened. We’re staying in the city for three nights before our cruise and are comfortable with the experience there, so no questions.

For Shanghai, we only have an overnight, arriving around noon and departing at 5 pm the day after. We hired a local tour guide to pick us up at the port and take us to the park. Since we will only have about 6 hrs there and it’s the hardest to get around in terms of language, we thought a translator guide would be best, so they will be with us for the duration. It was about $640 for car, driver, guide, park tickets, and their meals -totally worth it, IMO. That gives the second day for sightseeing, and we may even hire the same company to do a private tour.

Unfortunately it sounds like we’ll be SOL on the FP package you mentioned. I would have grabbed that immediately but we probably won’t arrive until around 2 pm and I’m sure they’ll be gone by then. Is our only option paper passes at that point? Do they run out as well, like they do at the US parks?

For Tokyo, I can’t book our hotel until 6 months out, but I’m getting ready to do it! Thinking about a package for the simplicity and early booking. I wanted Mira Costa, but the DLH character rooms look amazing! Price is about the same. What would you recommend? We will be there for three days/two nights, after which we’ll transfer to another hotel in the Ginza for three nights.

Thinking we’ll get a private car transfer to the hotel from the port, and then a taxi to the second hotel. We’ll have three large suitcases, one carry-on and two backpacks - is it difficult finding taxis that can carry a lot of luggage? I was in Japan many years ago and remember most taxis are compact. I suppose the hotel will be able to help with this in case I have any issues.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

This is a VERY helpful thread for us, so thanks in advance for the info shared! We are heading out in mid-Sept on the Coral Princess for a 60-day cruise around the North Pacific Rim. ONE of the reasons we chose this cruise is so we can visit the Asian Disney properties. We've been to Tokyo before, but not Shanghai nor Hong Kong. Hubby's dad was an Imagineer and did some planning for Tokyo and was asked to go there, but declined (had retired by then). He was also involved in some preliminary planning for Hong Kong. He wasn't involved with Shanghai. We've been to Anaheim a LOT (starting the year it opened, our Grad Nite, etc), Dad was involved with projects there, too, including the fountains in Toontown, and he did the facilities engineering, electrical, for the original Star Tours ride, while my hubby did the mechanical design (so you can thank him for the air conditioning and that water fountain as you come down the ramp at the end of the ride - LOL!)

We've visited WDW a few times. Dad was the Electrical Engineer in charge of getting Epcot opened and later worked on Animal Kingdom, as well. We've been to Disney Paris - Disney sent Dad back and forth for a while until Disney moved him and mom there and they spent two years there until it opened! So, we have some special reasons for having these on our bucket list. With only one day in each port... we are not intending to do a FULL "vacation" there, and we hope to cram in some other sights, but if "all" we can see is Disney, we are REALLY good with that! There are just the two of us (late-60's senior citizens), but we are young at heart - especially when doing Disney!

We aren't as concerned about doing a LOT of rides but will do a few - "must-do" suggestions are most welcomed to make best use of our limited time.

We booked this cruise just about a month ago.... and are now scrambling to figure out 22 ports. These 3 ports are especially important and with ports being not-so-conveniently located, I'm focusing on the" how-to-get there." I've done a lot of searching on Disney sites and elsewhere and although I'd looked here on CC, I JUST now found this POSITIVE and really-current thread - others were not so helpful about getting to Disneyland...

I saw information posted here on the bus to Yokohama for Tokyo Disney - thanks, as we'd gone previously from Narita in on train. I'll check that out.

In Hong Kong, we tried to figure out how to get to the metro from the port... since we heard that's a very small park, we hoped to see a few other sites, too. A ship excursion has the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus (for the day) picking us up at the port and gets us off the ship early and on our way. We will take in a few sites (viz Victoria Peak) and drive around until we can connect with the metro for the Disney line. So, I THINK we are set for that one. Any additional thoughts, caveats, etc are welcome!

In Shanghai... not sure which port is ours; still checking this one out - looks like if we can get to the metro we will be ok... probably a taxi? Any thoughts, pricing, etc would be helpful.

We'll buy our tickets online before we go - we get a really good rate for having survived all our years - LOL! And we'll have the app for each park on phone - BTW, what did you do for phone service in each of those? What carrier, international plan or local SIM card? We are hear T-Mobile offers a really good plan for folks 55+ that includes data, text, voice unlimited and international included for super rate. Anyone used that?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all additional info you can share. Once we get home and acclimated (and I get back to work) I'll happily share info from our experience with anyone interested.

This is a VERY helpful thread for us, so thanks in advance for the info shared! We are heading out in mid-Sept on the Coral Princess for a 60-day cruise around the North Pacific Rim. ONE of the reasons we chose this cruise is so we can visit the Asian Disney properties. We've been to Tokyo before, but not Shanghai nor Hong Kong. Hubby's dad was an Imagineer and did some planning for Tokyo and was asked to go there, but declined (had retired by then). He was also involved in some preliminary planning for Hong Kong. He wasn't involved with Shanghai. We've been to Anaheim a LOT (starting the year it opened, our Grad Nite, etc), Dad was involved with projects there, too, including the fountains in Toontown, and he did the facilities engineering, electrical, for the original Star Tours ride, while my hubby did the mechanical design (so you can thank him for the air conditioning and that water fountain as you come down the ramp at the end of the ride - LOL!)

We've visited WDW a few times. Dad was the Electrical Engineer in charge of getting Epcot opened and later worked on Animal Kingdom, as well. We've been to Disney Paris - Disney sent Dad back and forth for a while until Disney moved him and mom there and they spent two years there until it opened! So, we have some special reasons for having these on our bucket list. With only one day in each port... we are not intending to do a FULL "vacation" there, and we hope to cram in some other sights, but if "all" we can see is Disney, we are REALLY good with that! There are just the two of us (late-60's senior citizens), but we are young at heart - especially when doing Disney!

We aren't as concerned about doing a LOT of rides but will do a few - "must-do" suggestions are most welcomed to make best use of our limited time.

We booked this cruise just about a month ago.... and are now scrambling to figure out 22 ports. These 3 ports are especially important and with ports being not-so-conveniently located, I'm focusing on the" how-to-get there." I've done a lot of searching on Disney sites and elsewhere and although I'd looked here on CC, I JUST now found this POSITIVE and really-current thread - others were not so helpful about getting to Disneyland...

I saw information posted here on the bus to Yokohama for Tokyo Disney - thanks, as we'd gone previously from Narita in on train. I'll check that out.

In Hong Kong, we tried to figure out how to get to the metro from the port... since we heard that's a very small park, we hoped to see a few other sites, too. A ship excursion has the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus (for the day) picking us up at the port and gets us off the ship early and on our way. We will take in a few sites (viz Victoria Peak) and drive around until we can connect with the metro for the Disney line. So, I THINK we are set for that one. Any additional thoughts, caveats, etc are welcome!

In Shanghai... not sure which port is ours; still checking this one out - looks like if we can get to the metro we will be ok... probably a taxi? Any thoughts, pricing, etc would be helpful.

We'll buy our tickets online before we go - we get a really good rate for having survived all our years - LOL! And we'll have the app for each park on phone - BTW, what did you do for phone service in each of those? What carrier, international plan or local SIM card? We are hear T-Mobile offers a really good plan for folks 55+ that includes data, text, voice unlimited and international included for super rate. Anyone used that?

Thanks, in advance, for any and all additional info you can share. Once we get home and acclimated (and I get back to work) I'll happily share info from our experience with anyone interested.

Just want to say that is so amazing to grow up as part of the Disney Imagineering family!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Shanghai Disneyland in June this year (not on a cruise). Thought I would just share some of the videos I made here.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster Train (full ride)

[YOUTUBE]VRb8c9XTYf0[/YOUTUBE]

The light show. They cancelled the fireworks that night. Sob.

[YOUTUBE]sa5dgY4-va0[/YOUTUBE]

Shanghai Disneytown, located outside Disneyland. Plenty of food.

[YOUTUBE]qGPfnNt0-HQ[/YOUTUBE]

Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue. I tried the one in Hong Kong and thought this would be the same. This turned out to be bigger and better!

[YOUTUBE]B9eBrue2yoQ[/YOUTUBE]

Since we were in China, the Cinderella had to sing in Chinese!

[YOUTUBE]NakgJ5qPmD4[/YOUTUBE]

In Disneytown, we ate both lunch and dinner at this eatery called Nan Xiao Dian.

[YOUTUBE]bbcee_k8Npk[/YOUTUBE]

Remember to get your tickets in advance. We bought them through the official app. When we entered the park, all the ticketing booths were closed!!

[YOUTUBE]cKkNPWYkhmE[/YOUTUBE]

I blogged about our one day trip to Shanghai Disneyland here - http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.com/2018/06/day-3-shanghai-disneyland-happiest.html

We visited Shanghai Disneyland in June this year (not on a cruise). Thought I would just share some of the videos I made here.

Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue. I tried the one in Hong Kong and thought this would be the same. This turned out to be bigger and better!

In Disneytown, we ate both lunch and dinner at this eatery called Nan Xiao Dian.

Remember to get your tickets in advance. We bought them through the official app. When we entered the park, all the ticketing booths were closed!!

I blogged about our one day trip to Shanghai Disneyland here - http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.com/2018/06/day-3-shanghai-disneyland-happiest.html

Thx for sharing... makes me even mmore excited for our upcoming visit in Oct. And your notes helped! I plan to purchase tickets online but never thought booths would be closed... nice job!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hong Kong Disneyland is situated in Lantau Island (near the Hong Kong International Airport). You can easily get to the park via metro/subway (which is called the MTR in Hong Kong). If you're also taking the hop-on/hop-off bus, (I believe it's the RED BUS) there will definitely be a stop nearby an MTR station. If you have a listing of your hop-on/hop-off bus, I can give you detailed instructions on how the stops / transfer between MTR lines and time needed so you can plan.

BTW, I live in Hong Kong in Lantau Island (Tung Chung to be specific) and will be glad to help.

Just let me know...

Enjoy your upcoming trip...

Oh that’s a really hard question. We loved all 3 Disneys for all different reasons.

I’m not sure where you are from but I think Tokyo was a little more English friendly. Seems like most people knew the basics but in China it was hard to find anyone that spoke a word of English.

Shanghai’s ride were way better of course because they are brand new.

We just loved Japan. It was so clean and the people were polite. We loved taking the JR into Tokyo. It was very easy to get to Tokyo station from Disney. There were so many things to do.

Now the lines at Tokyo Disney are super long so be mentally prepared for that. For course we went Easter week so maybe they were longer.

It was nice in Shanghai that we bought 8 extra fast passes. Worth every cent.

I would go back to Tokyo in a heartbeat.

We also went to Hong Kong Disney and fell in love with it. It was very small but it was so laid back and the lines were very short. We stayed at the Explorers Lodge and was it absolutely unbelievable. They nicest hotel ever.

Don’t hesitate to ask any questions. I’ll try to answer.

We were at Shanghai (April 2017). It was HORRIBLE. Unbearably crowded. We were staying on property (beautiful hotel) and they were no help at all - didn't even know there was early entrance. Had I known we could buy fast passes - I would have done that! I think we went on 3 rides all day.

We're going to Tokyo next year and hopefully we'll have a better time. Looking to stay in a Beauty & The Beast room at Disneyland Hotel. :)We'll be able to get a few fast passes but won't be spending hours long in any line. We'll just be super choosy.

Looking into Hong Kong for June...

Sorry for the slow response, I’ve been out of town.

For Shanghai, it really depends when you go. We went Easter weekend on a Saturday so of course they ran out quick. You might Be able to grab the Fp primer access or paper Fp if you are going on a less busy time. Paper Fp do run out on busy days just like at WDW.

Tokyo: both of those hotels seems amazing! We stayed in the TDL hotel the cheapest room they had and it was amazing. We had a view of the Sea, monorail, and Space Mountain. So whatever you pick I’m sure you will love it.

They have a bus that goes from the park to Yokohama station. It’s takes 1 hour and then a taxi from the station to the port (it’s a short taxi ride to the port) if thats the port your ship is leaving from. Yes the taxis are small. We only had 2 suit cases so it was not a problem. The charter bus had plenty of space underneath it.

What ship and cruise line are you taking? Also when does it leave?

Another question: did you get a visa or the transit-without-visa for a limited stay? It’s a bit unclear to me what we will need under the circumstances.

Thanks!

Yes we got Visas. They actually collected our passports when we boarded. Those without Visas were not allowed to leave the ship in Xiamen, Shanghai, or Beijing. There were about 80 very upset people. No one knew for sure if we need a visa before the trip. We all keep getting very mixed messages. So we got one just in case and we were glad we did.

Wow that is so special and so amazing!!! I just love your story.

For a phone plan we used Att international day pass which was total amazing. So we have att unlimited and the day pass just extended our plan we already have. So for $10/ day and only on days you used it we got unlimited phone calls, internet, and text. We were gone for 3 weeks and only used our pass for 9 days. So it worked out well. No using it at sea. We mostly used it for google maps. I also turned on my hotspot and let a few other people from the ship use my unlimited internet.

In Hong Kong if you go to Disney remember that it opens late, usually at 10:00am. We got to stay there for 4 days and it was amazing. I would recommend taking a taxi from the port because it is very far away and the metro will take forever. Make sure you see the show mickey’s wondrous book, next to small world. Our favorite ride was mystic manor... it’s a must if you like haunted mansion. It’s crazy! The pin trading was really good in this park too.

Victoria’s Peak was very nice. Everything in Hong Kong seemed so far away. We traveled from island to island.

Shanghai I suggest taking the taxi again. Disney is pretty far from the port. I think I have the prices somewhere in this thread. Please make sure to always take a picture of the port with the name in the local language for the taxi driver on the way back. We didn’t encounter anyone in Shanghai that could speak even basic English. We had 13 hours here and still felt rushed at Disney. Had no time for the city. 6191a8c2dceb7d6a577b62e00e4ba86b.jpg

Pirates is a MUST. It’s unlike anything in the US.

Let me know if I missed any questions.

Have so much fun!

We are still trying to decide between Shanghai and Tokyo (either end of the cruise). I am leaning towards Tokyo.

I see there is a bus to the port. Would we be able to get a bus from the port? (Never mind- I see that answered in #22).

Wow... Great videos!!! Thanks for adding to the info here.

We are still trying to decide between Shanghai and Tokyo (either end of the cruise). I am leaning towards Tokyo.

I see there is a bus to the port. Would we be able to get a bus from the port? (Never mind- I see that answered in #22).

Tokyo is a great choice! We just loved everything in Japan. Both parks were amazing but Tokyo was a lil more English friendly and we found the food more western friendly too although we did try many new things. cc116fc6bf41bd82b9b0a05592f18989.jpg

We were at Shanghai (April 2017). It was HORRIBLE. Unbearably crowded. We were staying on property (beautiful hotel) and they were no help at all - didn't even know there was early entrance. Had I known we could buy fast passes - I would have done that! I think we went on 3 rides all day.

We're going to Tokyo next year and hopefully we'll have a better time. Looking to stay in a Beauty & The Beast room at Disneyland Hotel. :)We'll be able to get a few fast passes but won't be spending hours long in any line. We'll just be super choosy.

Looking into Hong Kong for June...

Sorry you didn't have a great experience in SDL.

The Premier Pass started in late March 2017, so right before you were there. Which means you probably didn't have any time to see someone post about it.

We went in July 2017 and were fortunate enough to have heard about it on a podcast that covers TDR and SDL. The park sold out the day we were there, so the Premier Pass was totally worth it.

Sorry you didn't have a great experience in SDL.

The Premier Pass started in late March 2017, so right before you were there. Which means you probably didn't have any time to see someone post about it.

I really think they should have told us about it at the hotel (Shanghai Disneyland Hotel). They didn't even tell us about early entrance. Seriously though they barely spoke English.

Yes we got Visas. They actually collected our passports when we boarded. Those without Visas were not allowed to leave the ship in Xiamen, Shanghai, or Beijing. There were about 80 very upset people. No one knew for sure if we need a visa before the trip. We all keep getting very mixed messages. So we got one just in case and we were glad we did.

Thanks. We only have one stop in China (about 30 hrs in Shanghai) and I think we can get that 144 hr visa waiver thingy. I agree, best to have something rather than nothing. Assuming our passports will need to be turned in upon boarding, we’ll need to get them for the Shanghai tours.

Sorry for the slow response, I’ve been out of town.

For Shanghai, it really depends when you go. We went Easter weekend on a Saturday so of course they ran out quick. You might Be able to grab the Fp primer access or paper Fp if you are going on a less busy time. Paper Fp do run out on busy days just like at WDW.

Tokyo: both of those hotels seems amazing! We stayed in the TDL hotel the cheapest room they had and it was amazing. We had a view of the Sea, monorail, and Space Mountain. So whatever you pick I’m sure you will love it.

They have a bus that goes from the park to Yokohama station. It’s takes 1 hour and then a taxi from the station to the port (it’s a short taxi ride to the port) if thats the port your ship is leaving from. Yes the taxis are small. We only had 2 suit cases so it was not a problem. The charter bus had plenty of space underneath it.

What ship and cruise line are you taking? Also when does it leave?

For Shanghai, we might just have to go with the flow and hope we get in enough of the experience in the limited time we’re there. FPs would be awesome but it might be out of my control. Hopefully having the native guide will help keep the confusion to a minimum though.

We will be on the Crystal Symphony, arriving Sunday, May 26. The plan is two nights at TDL, with three days and two nights at the parks. We are then transferring for three nights to a hotel in the Ginza, then flying out of HND on Friday.

I’m considering buying the hotel package for Tokyo. I can probably get the hotel and tickets cheaper if buying separately, but the convenience of the whole package and the extras like the FPs may be worth it. I will be able to book six months out as well. I just need to determine ahead of time what I want as I know the hotels book fast.

The challenge will be getting us and our luggage from the port to the first hotel, then to the second hotel, and then to the airport. Taxis are small and expensive, not sure how much luggage we’ll have, and we’ll have a 6 year old in tow so the trains aren’t ideal. But at least I have 8 months to research and somehow we’ll figure it all out!

Thanks much for the advice.

Hong Kong Disneyland is situated in Lantau Island (near the Hong Kong International Airport). You can easily get to the park via metro/subway (which is called the MTR in Hong Kong). If you're also taking the hop-on/hop-off bus, (I believe it's the RED BUS) there will definitely be a stop nearby an MTR station. If you have a listing of your hop-on/hop-off bus, I can give you detailed instructions on how the stops / transfer between MTR lines and time needed so you can plan.

BTW, I live in Hong Kong in Lantau Island (Tung Chung to be specific) and will be glad to help.

Just let me know...

Enjoy your upcoming trip...

I can't tell you what a JOY it was to see your post here! I had not been back ON THE THREAD for a while - with our cruise fast-approaching, and having signed on just in June, I am scrambling to get things ready! It hasn't helped that work duties have ramped up so trying to get all that done AND be ready to have things in place and covered for me to be gone for 2 months!

I had been researching the (3) Disney properties, particularly how to get there from our docking ports.... I understand using the Metros and such, but had hit rough spots trying to figure out getting to THE Metro spot - often see "take a taxi" - not sure about using taxis (have had mostly good experience elsewhere with those, but a couple of bad experiences still make me nervous). I THOUGHT I had Hong Kong under "control" with the ship's excursion for the HOHO.as it gets us off the ship faster and the HOHO actually picks us up at the dock.. am hopeful we could see a few Hong Kong "touristy" things (viz Victoria Peak)... but then it hit me that the HOHO ends much earlier that we would be returning from Disneyland...

I can't tell you how much your offer to help with information means to me! And, I'm sure there are others who will benefit with exact, current,LOCAL info - this thread has really been about the only positive source of info I have found for getting to Disneyland! So nice to get the support from folks who appreciate the "Disney thing."

I have to scoot right now... but I wanted you to know I am SO excited to find you! I will get the information on our HOHO and the stops so you can take a look for me. BLESS YOU!

Wow that is so special and so amazing!!! I just love your story.

For a phone plan we used Att international day pass which was total amazing. So we have att unlimited and the day pass just extended our plan we already have. So for $10/ day and only on days you used it we got unlimited phone calls, internet, and text. We were gone for 3 weeks and only used our pass for 9 days. So it worked out well. No using it at sea. We mostly used it for google maps. I also turned on my hotspot and let a few other people from the ship use my unlimited internet.

In Hong Kong if you go to Disney remember that it opens late, usually at 10:00am. We got to stay there for 4 days and it was amazing. I would recommend taking a taxi from the port because it is very far away and the metro will take forever. Make sure you see the show mickey’s wondrous book, next to small world. Our favorite ride was mystic manor... it’s a must if you like haunted mansion. It’s crazy! The pin trading was really good in this park too.

Victoria’s Peak was very nice. Everything in Hong Kong seemed so far away. We traveled from island to island.

Shanghai I suggest taking the taxi again. Disney is pretty far from the port. I think I have the prices somewhere in this thread. Please make sure to always take a picture of the port with the name in the local language for the taxi driver on the way back. We didn’t encounter anyone in Shanghai that could speak even basic English. We had 13 hours here and still felt rushed at Disney. Had no time for the city. 6191a8c2dceb7d6a577b62e00e4ba86b.jpg

Pirates is a MUST. It’s unlike anything in the US.

Let me know if I missed any questions.

Have so much fun!

Appreciate your WONDERFUL and informative reply! Very helpful and nice picture! This has added to our anticipation for this fun adventure - thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app