Lifeguards

When did Royal start with having all these lifeguards by the pools? Poor people standing there all day even when no one is even close to go into the water. This is ridiculous. And why one per pool? The pools are only 30 feet away from each other. They would just have to turn around to be there in 2 seconds if something happens. Because of costs I trust 5 lifeguards on a ship means 5 waiters less on the pool decks..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When did Royal start with having all these lifeguards by the pools? Poor people standing there all day even when no one is even close to go into the water. This is ridiculous. And why one per pool? The pools are only 30 feet away from each other. They would just have to turn around to be there in 2 seconds if something happens. Because of costs I trust 5 lifeguards on a ship means 5 waiters less on the pool decks..

I can´t answer the timeline question, though it´s been a while now. I know Bob will have the dates;)

However it happened after a kid drowned onboard.

Probably when the Board of Directors got word on the amount of the check that was paid on the death of a passenger by drowning in a ship's pool.

While on Brilliance last week, I also noticed this. They stood all day long at the pool even when no one was at the pool. (due to cool weather) Then when someone did brave the cool/cold air and got into the pool, the lifeguard then moved from the deck up to the very edge of the pool. It was kind of weird or strange. He stood there, on the very edge of the pool, staring at the passenger. All the while, wearing long pants/jacket and beanie style hat to cover his head as it was cold. Just a very odd look and action.

Having said this, I saw no slow down of action in the wait service for alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks.

I didn't know Royal had started putting lifeguards on duty. That can only be a good move, IMHO. When my daughter was younger, despite being an excellent swimmer, she was jumped on in the pool by two teenage boys who hurt her back and pushed her under. My husband was in the pool but it happened really quickly. No lifeguards to stop the teenagers running around the pool and running and jumping into the water.

Daughter is 18 now so can use the Solarium, but even so, if I have to wait five more minutes for my food as a result of lifeguards being employed, that's fine.

And why one per pool? The pools are only 30 feet away from each other. They would just have to turn around to be there in 2 seconds if something happened. Forums

Well getting there in 2 seconds means someone else has to alert the lifeguard. That is the lifeguards job. When parents stopped watching their kids someone else had to step in. I would rather less waiters. Better safe than sorry.

Um lifeguards are a very good thing. Not poor lifeguards, they are getting paid to do that job. It was very comforting to see them at each and every pool on Anthem last year. Nice touch and great idea RCCL.

I apologise in advance if I have taken your post the wrong way. I don’t normally bite but having small children I am surprised this hasn’t always been the case. It takes seconds for a child to drown in an inch of water. I am sure there is no slow down in your food/drinks being served. Even if there was, I am sure you can wait an extra minute for it and won’t die in that minute where as a child, or even an adult in water might.

You can’t predict when someone is going to go into a pool, or fall in for that matter, so I really don’t see how this is ridiculous.

Why is that guy up on the bridge steering the ship. There’s nothing but clear ocean out there. Maybe he his surplus to requirements, there could be more waiters and I could get my pina colada quicker.

We were on Oasis last June and they told us it was the first ship to get the lifeguards.

It started about 3 years ago when a boy drown on the oasis in the little pool with a current. Do I think we should have life guards? No I think parents should have to watch their kids and be responsible instead of drinking all day. Everyone wants to sue and blame others when things go wrong. Own up.

Am I really reading this?

First, is there any evidence that the LIFEguards are taking jobs from wait staff?

Second, if they are taking a job away what is more important? Your child’s (or any passengers) life or your drink with the little umbrella in it?

Perspective

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't remember the time line of the drowning either but I do know it was on Anthem.

We went and had a chat to them at their desk on the pool deck on Serenade and they said they rotate around the pools every half hour because it helps them stay fresh and vigilant. If you watch them in action, you will see that when they are changing over, the incoming one walks all the way around the pool checking to make sure there is nobody on the bottom, and the outgoing one double checks this before leaving.

And there has to be one at each pool whenever the pools are open because even if the weather is less than inviting someone might still decide to go in.

Please ignore the part with the waiters, I don‘t care about this as well.

But it is weird if someone is watching you swiming in a small pool with no children even close. The lifeguards are on duty all day even when it is freezing cold and wet.

If the cruise line is really responsible for watching the children has been discussed already in detail so no further comments to that from my side.

What's ridiculous is your entire post:rolleyes:

Hopefully none of us will ever need a lifeguard, but if we do then we should be thankful that they were there to save us. It may feel strange to have them watching, but they are of no use when they are not paying attention or not on duty. There is no downside to having them there.

On Anthem Of The Seas

On June 30th 2016, as the ship sailed from Bayonne, New Jersey, 8-year-old Prince Adepoju of Maryland was found unresponsive in the ship's pool. As CPR was performed, the ship returned to port and was met by NYPD and FDNY boats and an NYPD helicopter which eventually flew him to Staten Island University Hospital. After two days in pediatric intensive care, Adepoju died on 2 July 2016. The medical examiner deemed his death to be an accident.

Info located @:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Anthem_of_the_Seas

:(

There is a lifeguard on duty while the pool is open, but it's not the same one all day. I was in the Viking Crown reading all afternoon on the Rhapsody recently, and they switch people every hour approximately.

There have been several drownings on RCCL ships in the last several years, and I've always thought they should have them. On our first cruise in 1973 I remember mentioning to my husband how surprised I was they didn't have them.

I hope you are the only one who gets nasty about a fair question. Again, forget about the comment on waiters. That was wrong. But on Indy they even have a life guard at the Solarium Pool that is for 16+.

A fair question??? What??!! Oh my..... So in your mind, people 16+ do not require a lifeguard? People over the age of 16 cannot drown? A lifeguard is a waste on people 16 & older?????

:eek::confused::mad:

Edited by ObstructedView2

We have a pool, we have lots of little kids in the pool. At no time are they allowed in the pool without an adult watching. It takes seconds, not a lot, only a few for a child or adult to drown.....seconds. Enough whining.

I hope you are the only one who gets nasty about a fair question. Again, forget about the comment on waiters. That was wrong. But on Indy they even have a life guard at the Solarium Pool that is for 16+.

Right. Because adults, especially drinking adults, can have water emergencies just like kids.

It started about 3 years ago when a boy drown on the oasis in the little pool with a current. Do I think we should have life guards? No I think parents should have to watch their kids and be responsible instead of drinking all day. Everyone wants to sue and blame others when things go wrong. Own up.

I'll own up. I want to drink all day and I want lifeguards. So what. Give me a beer and a lifeguard.