Appetizers in WJ?

My husband and I have decided to try a cruise without eating in the main dining room. Most dinner meals will be in Windjammer. Are there appetizers in WJ similar to the Main Dining Room?

Also, I've read about Cocoa Cay being a cancelled port of call for future cruises while they construct a pier. Anyone know at what point RCCL will let you know about your upcoming cruise and re-routing? We have an Aug. 19th cruise and a February cruise. Just curious.....it really doesn't matter to me.

Are there appetizers in WJ similar to the Main Dining Room?

Anyone know at what point RCCL will let you know about your upcoming cruise and re-routing? We have an Aug. 19th cruise and a February cruise.

Varies by ship and day what's available in the WJ but you are unlikely to get many of the apps.

Folks are getting notices now for Dec/Jan cancellations. Unlikely either of your sailings will be affected.

If you are speaking of specific appetizer menu items from the MDR, then maybe not. However there is a huge variety of food, so you can make some of it the appetizers and some the entre. The Windjammer has a much larger variety of food than the dining room.

Regarding Coco Cay - I see from you signature that your next cruise is Oasis on August. Oasis (class) has never gone to Coco Cay and won't do so until the pier is completed. Coco Cay could not have been on your original itinerary. And as for re-routing, we have had a few cruises re routed because of weather and we learned it the evening prior to the cruise. Cancelled ports can happen at any time, even once the cruise has begun.

enjoy

M

I’m just curious and new to Royal, but I have seen this a couple times on here so may I ask, why wouldn’t you want to eat in the main dining area?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some, including my wife and I, hardly ever visit the MDR. We've been on multiple cruise and have found the MDR to be too crowded with the tables far too close together. It is also too loud for an enjoyable conversation. We also prefer the more casual environment and dress code in the other dining areas. We either go to the specialty restaurants or, more commonly, the buffet.

Not saying the MDR is bad, it's a matter of personal preference. This isn't critical of Royal since we've found all the MDR on all the cruise lines to suffer from the same issues.

I’m just curious and new to Royal, but I have seen this a couple times on here so may I ask, why wouldn’t you want to eat in the main dining area?

Not sure about other people but we don't eat in the main dining due to speed of service and lack of space. My DS has brain damage and is severely handicapped. He starts getting distressed if we stay in one place too long. His wheelchair is large and wide, the chair cannot fit under a table and due to its width (29 inches) it tends to block the aisles between tables.

For us it is quicker to eat in the Windjammer and we can normally find a table with plenty of space around it so people cannot bump in to wheelchair.

lots of reasons. for us, its because we are bored with the offerings, which haven't changed in a while. Granted specialty menus haven't changed either but we tend to do those even more than WJ.

but there is NOTHING wrong with WJ at dinner. you can usually get a couple of the main dishes( although not the apps) and soups as MDR. you can eat at your own pace and not have to wait for the wait staff or your dining companions to catch up. there's usually at least one carved hunk of something( and quire often, 2)

Some, including my wife and I, hardly ever visit the MDR. We've been on multiple cruise and have found the MDR to be too crowded with the tables far too close together. It is also too loud for an enjoyable conversation. We also prefer the more casual environment and dress code in the other dining areas. We either go to the specialty restaurants or, more commonly, the buffet.

Not saying the MDR is bad, it's a matter of personal preference. This isn't critical of Royal since we've found all the MDR on all the cruise lines to suffer from the same issues.

This exactly. ^

For us all of the food in the WJ can be considered an appetizer. ;)

We simply eat a lite late bite and enjoy trying little portions of something that looks interesting after an evening of socializing in the lounge.

No waiting for a table, no waiter "hurt" because we did not order dessert, not crammed in too close to other tables. IMHO the WJ is quieter, less bright lights, and we enjoy the choice of sitting anywhere we like whenever we like. :)

my son and I do a "pre-dinner dinner" every night at the WJ while wife and daughter are getting ready. Scope it out, grab what looks good, and make a note as to dessert (sometimes we leave MDR and head to WJ for dessert after). Often, I find that I should have just eaten more in WJ as the selections were better than those in the MDR that night.

Various reasons I've read: takes too long, food is not hot, too noisy, not enough selection. food inedible, wait too long.

Various reasons I've read: takes too long, food is not hot, too noisy, not enough selection. food inedible, wait too long.

Interesting thank you.

Coming from NCL we are used to just going to eat wherever and whenever we want, so traditional dining will be a big change for us. I wanted to try it though to see what it’s like.

If service is really that slow in the MDR I doubt we will eat there most nights. If we decide to go to the buffet, do we need to let the dining room know?

Interesting thank you.

Coming from NCL we are used to just going to eat wherever and whenever we want, so traditional dining will be a big change for us. I wanted to try it though to see what it’s like.

If service is really that slow in the MDR I doubt we will eat there most nights. If we decide to go to the buffet, do we need to let the dining room know?

It's courteous to your wait staff and tablemates (if any) to let them know if you will be a no show.

It's courteous to your wait staff and tablemates (if any) to let them know if you will be a no show.

I agree with this. Unless we are eating in a specialty restaurant, we eat in the MDR. I do not find anything wrong with the speed of service, or temperature of the food. It does take longer, but when we have tablemates, we pass the time with conversation. That being said, the past two cruises we have been alone at a table for four, and a table for eight.

On our upcoming cruise, we will be dining in specialty restaurants the first two nights, but I will let our waitstaff know this on the first night. I think this helps with planning, and that they are not waiting for us either. I also agree that the WJ is perfectly fine if you wish. Our last cruise, I was not feeling up to dinner one night, and went to the WJ before dinner to see if I could eat anything. It looked pleasant with a good selection. Wife went to dinner (second formal night, I did not want her to miss dinner because of me), and the waitstaff sent back something for me. In this respect, this is why I like the MDR for a more personal experience.

Just my opinion. It is your vacation, so do what you like.

Regards,

Mike

I emjoy the MDR experince once in a while, but hubby is not a fan at all. We stopped going to formal nights when airlines started charging for luggage. The past few cruises we have avoided the MDR atogether, and have thouroughly enjoyed it. We have so much to choose from, and on Celebrity there is a huge variety of sushi. We dined ( at adjacent tables) most nights with the Cruise director and staff, and one night with the Captain, his wife and little boy, We had great fun playing peek-a-boo games with the chilld. It was always quiet and enjoyable.

For me MDR is they way to go. Get a table by the window, enjoy the waves, sunset, have a drink, order anything and everything that looks good. Your on vacation, SLOW DOWN, AND ENJOY THE RIDE. P.S. We always dress smart casual for dinner no need to impress anyone.

Since we can eat anywhere.....we mostly do the WJ. Sometimes to the MDR for escargot and then leave. Have had prime rib, lobster, and a whole host of other regional and cultural options.

Have met up there with the Captain and his family more often than when invited to "his" table. :cool:

Other than takes to long, you just mentioned all the reasons I avoid WJ. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It’s funny. We used to exclusive eat in the WJ. It used to be a pleasant place at dinner with lowered lights and tablecloths. As the years have passed it has become so chaotic that we avoid it as much as we can. As long as there are other offing’s we never use the WJ any more.

I find this a very interesting thread and eye opening, except for the first lunch I didn’t eat in the WJ at all on my last 9 night cruise. Yep every breakfast lunch and dinner in MDR. But now I wonder if I’m missing out on some good food!?! For me personally I’m on vacation and want to be waited on, I don’t want to carry around a tray, want to have to search for a table etc. I’m never in any rush and I enjoy the slow pace. My 11 year old daughter came with me every time too. My son and husband sometimes went to WJ. I’m also a bit of germophobe so I know avoiding buffets helps too.

I’m just curious and new to Royal, but I have seen this a couple times on here so may I ask, why wouldn’t you want to eat in the main dining area? /quote]

We are probably 70/30 Windjammer (buffet)/Dining room.

I like the ability to try small bites of many things without wasting food ordering multiple full sized portions. Also a wider variety of food. More casual feel.

But up to you which you prefer.