Medical Use of a Heating Pad

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:22 PM.
Las Vegas
12,107 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We are doing a cruise on Princess in a a few weeks. In the scheme of the major issues discussed on this board, this one is not as serious. However, it is serious for my wife. She has a hip issue and the doctor has told her that she has to use a heating pad twice per day to feel comfortable. I know that heating pads are not allowed on ships and I understand why.

What are her options? If she gets a letter from her doctor, will they let her take her pad on board? Do they have legal heating pads on board that she can borrow. Could she use it in the medical clinic twice per day w/o being charged for a medical fee every time?

Any other ideas. I know that I should contact the Princess Special Needs department but I can't find their number.

Thanks in advance.

DON
6,978 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by donaldsc
We are doing a cruise on Princess in a a few weeks. In the scheme of the major issues discussed on this board, this one is not as serious. However, it is serious for my wife. She has a hip issue and the doctor has told her that she has to use a heating pad twice per day to feel comfortable. I know that heating pads are not allowed on ships and I understand why.

What are her options? If she gets a letter from her doctor, will they let her take her pad on board? Do they have legal heating pads on board that she can borrow. Could she use it in the medical clinic twice per day w/o being charged for a medical fee every time?

Any other ideas. I know that I should contact the Princess Special Needs department but I can't find their number.

Thanks in advance.

DON
Have you contacted Princess' Special Needs Dept. ?

There's always the possibility if you bring you're own even with a Doctor's letter it can be confiscated being that the medical condition does not present a life of death situation. However using a contraband item could present a serious situation.

Doubt very seriously the Medical Facility would allow your wife to use one of theirs. Besides nothing is free about anything obtained from the ships Medical Facility. Princess even charges for sea sickness pills that most other cruise lines distribute free of charge.

Check this off as an option http://www.snappyheat.com/
Pittsburgh PA
5,426 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Do you know for a fact that Princess will not allow a heating pad? I use one too at times and was told by Celebrity Cruises that as long as it had an automatic shut off it would be allowed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Good Cruising
Mary Lou

Tennessee
38 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I took one on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess I let the special needs/accessibility office know that I would be bringing one. Celebrity let me use my own extension cord when I took the heating pad on Royal Caribbean they supplied an extenstion cord. It has to have an auto shut off. I always let the special needs department know when I fill out the mobility form. I did have a doctor's note but no one cared.
New Jersey
1,497 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by donaldsc

Thanks in advance.

DON
Why don’t you use Thermacare heat pads? They come in hours. I use almost daily for my arthritic back. Plus you’re not tied to an outlet.
193 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I was told no to a plug in heat pad (I find heat helps both my neuropathic pain and pain associated with my muscle spasticity). I use “Hot Hands” instead (not just going away, but anywhere where it’s not possible or practical to use an electric pad) ... they stay warm for a long time - I’ve actually never timed one until today, but I activated one at 10am this morning - now coming up 6pm and it’s not even started to cool down.
Tennessee
38 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by LokiPoki
I was told no to a plug in heat pad (I find heat helps both my neuropathic pain and pain associated with my muscle spasticity). I use “Hot Hands” instead (not just going away, but anywhere where it’s not possible or practical to use an electric pad) ... they stay warm for a long time - I’ve actually never timed one until today, but I activated one at 10am this morning - now coming up 6pm and it’s not even started to cool down.
We stayed in Barcelona for a few days before our transatlantic cruise and I used hot hands at night instead of trying to have a converter for a heating pad. It worked grea I put it inside a pillow case or it was too hot on my skin. I use them at home in the winter because I am cold natured. I did use the heating pad on the ship (like I mentioned in my other post) on 3 different cruise lines. Just let the accessibility department know you need one and it has to be auto shut off.
Scarborough ON Canada
4,192 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
What about a hot water bottle? They are easy to transport and hot water is readily available on the ship.

It's what we use now instead of the heating pad on trips.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patricia (Trisha to my friends and family) cruiseforfood.com
Disney:
Magic 10-30-2010
Dream 10-30-2011 & 11-03-2011
Magic 4-30-2012
Fantasy 10-26-2013
Magic 11-15-2015
Carnival:
Dream 3-12-2011 & 3-19-2011
Miracle 8-26-2011
Dream 10-27-2012
Pride 03-15-2015
Pride 01-17-2016 & 01-28-2016
Pride 07-10-2016
Pride 08-21-2016
Sunshine 05-29-2017
Pride 01-07-2018
Royal:
Explorer of the Seas 2-24-2013
Explorer of the Seas 2-23-2014
Navigator of the Sea 11-10-2015
Freedom of the Seas 02-12-2017
Celebrity:
Summit 06-01-2014
Equinox 11-21-2014
Summit 08-30-3015
Summit 02-18-2017

Princess:
Caribbean Princess 11-20-2017

Future Cruises:
Adventure of the Seas 05-18-2018 (7 nights) A Cheap getaway
Caribbean Princess 11-25-2018 (14 nights) Circle Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 12-10-2018 (10 nights) Partial Panama Canal
Caribbean Princess 12-19-2018 (14 nights) Circle Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity 01-05-2019 (5 nights) Because we're already in Florida
Carnival Sunshine 01-12-2019 (13 nights) Journey Cruise
Disney Fantasy 01-26-2019 (7 nights) Stars Wars at Sea
Disney Magic 02-03-2019 (5 nights) Marvel Day at Sea
36 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
My DH uses a heating pad for back problems. When I contacted Special Needs on Royal, we were told it had to have an automatic shut off and to pack it in the original box so this can be verified. We now keep a traveling heating pad with box for cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk