cruise dilemma

Avigail2018

Hi. I actually had a question. I don't know who to ask. I went on a cruise in 2016. I was grieving at the time due to my ex husband passing away in a motorcycle accident. I was texting a friend about how I was feeling and he took it as that I was going to hurt myself. Which wasn't the case at all. My friend then contacted the ship (royal Caribbean) and told them that he was afraid that I would do something to hurt myself. Which again, wasn't the case AT ALLL. Anyways, security (from the ship) knocks on my door at around 7 am. They take me and held me in contempt. I was going crazy because as they were telling me what happened, I tried to explain that it was all a misunderstanding. I was stuck in a small room with two security guards guarding the door. I was informed that I would be flying back home as soon as we arrive at the first port. I was with family so they were very upset with the situation (as you can imagine). I thought long and hard on how I can fix this. I finally came up with the idea to write to the captain of the ship. I know, crazy! Anyhow, I finally convinced the security guard to get me a pen. I wrote to Captain Todd A Grimstad a letter about what happened and how it was all a misunderstanding. An hour after I gave my letter to the guards to give to the captain, I get a call that the captain wants to meet with me! I didn't know what to expect! I finally met up with him. He gave me a nice tour of the bridge and told me about his brother tasing away and that he'd never forget me or that day of meeting me. He realized it was all a misunderstanding and let me stay for the rest of the cruise (6 more days). He even told me that next time I board a ship to find out if he's the captain. If he is, he told me to contact him because he'd love to see me again and see how Ill be doing.....well, I have an amazing boyfriend who is Turing the big 3-0 and I thought to take him on a surprise cruise! I purchased a curse for September 22-26 on majesty of the seas to Cuba! I was so excited until I got a call (12 days from my cruise) from royal Caribbean royal security. They basically told me I won't be able to board the ship due to the incident that happened in 2016. I got so upset. They basically told me for them to review my case again (and maybe giving me a clearance) Id have to get a letter from a psychologist stating that I am not a threat to myself or others and that it is safe for me to board a ship. I did find a family psychologist who knows me very well and I had seen her for a few years due to family issues in my past. She said she would see me and if all goes well, shell give me that letter after our session and she beehives Im okay. I understand the ship doesn't know me and they'd need a letter. I don't have insurance but I am paying a lot for this letter. Im afraid I will get the letter and Ill still get denied to board the ship. Any ideas of what I can do to know if they'll give me clearance? Its very frustrating to deal with this. They also called me on a Friday so now I have to wait 3-5 business days to even get a clearance! HELP!

Actually, based on my dissimilar yet relatable experience on Celebrity I not only believe every word but would bet that her treatment by Royal Caribbean was even more shabby than she can put into print.

Which does beg this screamingly obvious question: for heaven's sake why book another cruise on the exact same cruise line??? They don't deserve one red cent of your hard earned vacation funds.

You don't have insurance, does this mean you didn't buy trip interruption/cancellation insurance?

I do believe she means she does not have health insurance that will pay for the psychological evaluation RCI is demanding before allowing her to sail. But as far as I am concerned such a last minute demand is grounds to void the cruise contract entitling her to a full refund.

You need to blame your friend for sticking his nose where it didn't belong, not the cruise line for taking reasonable precautions based on his meddling in your business and raising unnecessary flags about what he imagined your intentions were. He may have had good intentions, but it was not his business to contact the cruise line with what was in essence just a wild and inaccurate guess about your psychological condition.

Although I have no specific suggestions except maybe to change cruise lines to one that is not under the Princess umbrella, I sure hope that your "friend" very quickly became your ex friend.

DON

What has Princess go to do with it ?

Some of you are right. Maybe I shouldn't have booked the same cruise. I didn't think this would be an issue since they let me stay the for the rest of the duration of the cruise. Nor did they tell me this will be an issue in the future if I cruise with them. The flights are booked already. The days off are taken. I have no choice but to get that letter. They didn't hold me in contempt (like jail). Its was me being stuck in a room while two security guards were "monitoring" me. It was almost comical. I just want to know (if anyone might know) what are the odds of them saying no? They told em if they still don't give me clearance after I get that letter, Ill get a full refund. The thing is, its not about the money. I really want to enjoy my cruise with my boyfriend and celebrate his birthday. Any ideas? I also tried finding a way to contact the captain ( I know, crazy haha). I am just so desperate to have an answer already. I really hope they'll let me go. I have been waiting to go on this vacation!

You need to blame your friend for sticking his nose where it didn't belong, not the cruise line for taking reasonable precautions based on his meddling in your business and raising unnecessary flags about what he imagined your intentions were. He may have had good intentions, but it was not his business to contact the cruise line with what was in essence just a wild and inaccurate guess about your psychological condition.

Would this mean that anyone with malicious intent can call a cruise line to say "I know a despondent passenger cruising on your ship that might be suicidal", and the cruise line will throw you in guarded solitary? Or they can say you plan to "blow up the ship" and fly you home from the 1st port?.

Wow, I'd better not get into any on line arguments on a roll call.

Would this mean that anyone with malicious intent can call a cruise line to say "I know a despondent passenger cruising on your ship that might be suicidal", and the cruise line will throw you in guarded solitary? Or they can say you plan to "blow up the ship" and fly you home from the 1st port?.

It depends on what the so-called friend told the cruise line. How would you like it if someone called the cruise line to warn of a suicidal or mentally unstable passenger and the cruise line did nothing about it and then the person does something that affects your cruise? Then you would still be complaining about the cruise line, but this time about not doing enough.

It depends on what the so-called friend told the cruise line. How would you like it if someone called the cruise line to warn of a suicidal or mentally unstable passenger and the cruise line did nothing about it and then the person does something that affects your cruise? Then you would still be complaining about the cruise line, but this time about not doing enough.

I agree that the cruise line is in a difficult position. If they respond to the report, a situation like the OP describes can be the result, and if they don't respond and a passenger tries to take his/her life then friend, family, and the other passengers will be upset and may take legal action. It is a real double-edged sword.

Years ago, my spouse and I had a vindictive neighbor contact Child Protective Services and make a false report about us. We had to go through a full investigation, and when they finally determined the charges were non-founded (false), we were still told we would remain on their records for the next 7 years because we had been reported.

For the OP, I would contact RCL and ask them if you can produce a letter from a psychological doctor that states you are normal and no threat to yourself or others would they remove you from whatever list you are currently on? Otherwise, I think the other responses are correct and you may have to stay off of any cruise line owned by RCL.

I agree that the cruise line is in a difficult position. If they respond to the report, a situation like the OP describes can be the result, and if they don't respond and a passenger tries to take his/her life then friend, family, and the other passengers will be upset and may take legal action. It is a real double-edged sword.

Years ago, my spouse and I had a vindictive neighbor contact Child Protective Services and make a false report about us. We had to go through a full investigation, and when they finally determined the charges were non-founded (false), we were still told we would remain on their records for the next 7 years because we had been reported.

For the OP, I would contact RCL and ask them if you can produce a letter from a psychological doctor that states you are normal and no threat to yourself or others would they remove you from whatever list you are currently on? Otherwise, I think the other responses are correct and you may have to stay off of any cruise line owned by RCL.

I am getting a letter from a professional. I just hop they will clear me to go. It was 2 years ago. I needed up staying on the ship with no issues. I have a stable job. lol I understand where they are coming from and that is why I am paying a lot for this letter. I really hope they'll approve.

I am getting a letter from a professional. I just hop they will clear me to go. It was 2 years ago. I needed up staying on the ship with no issues. I have a stable job. lol I understand where they are coming from and that is why I am paying a lot for this letter. I really hope they'll approve.

I hope they will also. The main thing is to see if they will remove your name from the system that flagged you when you went to book another cruise, otherwise you may have to go through this each time. As other's have said, id that doesn't work then you may end up having to use another non-RCL owned cruise line when you vacation.

Good Question.