Massdam Zodiacs

Martezz

I am currently on Exc in depth voyage on Massdam. Today, at San Blas Islands, they took out one of the Two zodiacs on board. The other ones will be added in Lima. No excursions for passengers until after French Polynesia. The ship has new carpeting, some engine work and new decor in Crows nest during dry dock. The ship was a little “rough” when boarded. Still have workers on board and crew trying to get everything cleaned up and in working order. One of the life boats is out of commission. Some reports of plumbing problems. Lectures and onboard entertainment has been good so far.bbc3e7529a0c5207fc71680b10df0fb3.jpg

I am currently on Exc in depth voyage on Massdam. Today, at San Blas Islands, they took out one of the Two zodiacs on board. The other ones will be added in Lima. No excursions for passengers until after French Polynesia. The ship has new carpeting, some engine work and new decor in Crows nest during dry dock. The ship was a little “rough” when boarded. Still have workers on board and crew trying to get everything cleaned up and in working order. One of the life boats is out of commission. Some reports of plumbing problems. Lectures and onboard entertainment has been good so far.bbc3e7529a0c5207fc71680b10df0fb3.jpg

Thank you for this information. Would love to hear more if you have time during the remainder of your cruise.

I've not read mention of San Blas islands in years but have very fun memories of a few visits there. Did the young men dive for 'hings thrown overboard ?"

\

i love those Molas. :)

Did they ask for $$ if you wanted to take a photo? :D

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks for your initial insights! We're booked on a 40 day Australia and French Polynesia cruise in Oct 2019 and are excited about their "in-depth" direction, especially with regards to the addition of the zodiacs and high quality lectures. Hopefully, you'll have more to share if you have a little extra time on this "maiden" voyage.

We too would love to hear more about the new items on the ship along with the new EXC excursions. We had the chance to talk to some HAL employees who were on board in April-May this year looking over the ship in anticipation of all the changes that were to occur. Also would like to hear your views on the culinary classes, entertainment and any photography classes HAL planned on adding. We will be on the Maasdam in March 2019 for 41 days. Thanks for this information.

Rick & joyce

One of the couples on this first cruise is blogging their experience. I found the link over on the roll call. They seem very pleased.

Edit: I found it.

Originally posted by Btimmer I’m doing a daily blog which is found at www.timmer2018polynesia.blogspot.com. It won’t become active until after we sail and postings will be made when we have internet access. Most pictures will be on FB, the blog is text oriented.

Tim

I'm happy to see this - and the blog as well, as we'll be boarding the Maasdam in February for the 20 day SE Asia cruise. I've bookmarked the blog to tag along with BTimmer and his golden wedding anniversary cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

:*

I'm happy to see this - and the blog as well, as we'll be boarding the Maasdam in February for the 20 day SE Asia cruise. I've bookmarked the blog to tag along with BTimmer and his golden wedding anniversary cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

People please make sure you are physically fit before you sign up for the Zodiac ride. They may look cushy but if you've ever taken one you know. You don't want to catch air and land on your tea kettle, you will break your spout if you are not careful.

Maasdam is getting eight (8) zodiacs with space inside for ten (10) guests and a driver/guide

So a total of 80 pax can be accommodated? That's a pretty small percentage of the passenger complement. Since the zodiacs are getting so much attention in HAL's promo info, I wonder if there will be many disappointed passengers.

So a total of 80 pax can be accommodated? That's a pretty small percentage of the passenger complement. Since the zodiacs are getting so much attention in HAL's promo info, I wonder if there will be many disappointed passengers.

Yes -- one reason why I'm really curious to see how they will be deployed.

Although I supposed (as alluded to above) there will be a number of passengers that won't be physically able to use them and others who may not be interested.

Remains to be seen.....