FYI: Airport Security Trays Carry More Viruses Than Toilet Seats

nelblu

Same should apply to security scans at RCL and should they follow the recommendation.

Travel

Airport Security Trays Carry More Viruses Than Toilet Seats

Matthew September 5, 2018

Security-Checkpoint-Bin.jpg

It’s not the toilet seats, flush handles, or even the floors. Nope, it is security trays that carry the most viruses at airports.

Pandemic experts in Finland checked out Helsinki Airport for viruses. They scanned surfaces including staircase rails, restrooms, passport counters, children’s play areas, credit card terminals, and security checkpoints.

The result? Security bins/trays to process carry-on baggage for screening proved the most contaminated. Swabs picked up the influenza A virus as well as rhinovirus, which causes the common cold. Meanwhile, no viruses were found on toilet seats.

Speaking personally, this study represents an opportunity to educate the public on how viruses are spread.

For doctors and other health professionals, I understand this story is a big duh. Viruses tend to cluster around what humans touch. Humans handle security trays all day and it is unlikely these are cleaned often, compared to toilet seats or floors which are are cleaned at least once per day and often many times.

But this is a helpful reminder to wash your hands offer…what we’ve been taught all our lives.

Immediate Solutions?

Niina Ikonen, a virology expert at the Finnish National Institute for Health and Welfare, told the UK Guardian:

The presence of microbes in the environment of an airport has not been investigated previously. The new findings support preparedness planning for controlling the spread of serious infectious diseases in airports. The results also provide new ideas for technical improvements in airport design and refurbishment.

I’m not sure airports need re-design or refurbishment, but security bins should be cleaned at least once per day.

CONCLUSION

I am decidedly not a germaphobe, but it is no surprise I encounter colds each year during flu season considering how much I travel. While I cannot picture myself swabbing down my tray with disinfectant wipes, I will start placing all personal items inside my bag rather than in those little round trays that are usually available in TSA PreCheck lines. If that leads to one less cold this winter, I’ll have come out ahead.

The only thing you can do to help yourself is to use hand-wipes or sani-gel on your hands as soon as you've finished going through security. Don't forget to wipe the handles of your carry-on as well, if you've touched them before using your cleaner.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

1) Don't lick the trays

2) If you are that worried, hit a rest room and wash your hands after security.

I am NOT a big fan of hand sanitizer, it causes micro cracking and the cracks actually harbor bacteria.

1) Don't lick the trays

2) If you are that worried, hit a rest room and wash your hands after security.

I am NOT a big fan of hand sanitizer, it causes micro cracking and the cracks actually harbor bacteria.

LOL, love the lick comment.

It's the handles of your bags that you grab, or your belt you put back on after touching the trays prior to the hand washing. There really is no escape. Just don't put your hands to your face prior to washing or sanitization.

I really don't understand how the misconception of toilet seat cleanliness still persists:rolleyes:. They are cleaned multiple times a day. If not you would most likely see a lot more stains in the public toilets;p, how else do people think they stay so white? Though the security tray thing makes me wonder do the staff who handle these trays have higher rates of illness than other airport staff?:confused:

Part of the news here us that toilet seats aren't the germ havens one might assume.

People seem to worry a lot about the germiness or otherwise of toilet seats. I think door handles (and now those trays in security) worry me me more, though. Even if public toilet seats were absolutely festering with germs, I’m not going to touch one with my hands, and certainly not get my face anywhere near it. The only bit of me that’s going to touch it is my bum, and that’s only if it looks clean and dry. Fortunately, I’ve never heard of catching a cold that way! :D

Perhaps people who get sick(er) more often tend to obsess more about germs :)

Or, people who obsess about germs, tend to go overboard and reduce their resistance.

There are a number of studies that show trying to live too germ free is not good. You are not activating your immune system, and it gets weaker.

Also, some studies that link the over used of sanitizers to adult onset asthma and allergies.

I am decidedly not a germaphobe, but it is no surprise I encounter colds each year during flu season considering how much I travel. While I cannot picture myself swabbing down my tray with disinfectant wipes, I will start placing all personal items inside my bag rather than in those little round trays that are usually available in TSA PreCheck lines. If that leads to one less cold this winter, I’ll have come out ahead.

Hi

I would tend to think that you can try to clean everything around you, but if you are travelling a lot at a time of year when many around you are ill, you would have to travel in a bubble to protect yourself.

Thousands of people around you, sneezing, coughing, all the time. You can't protect yourself from that. Try to stay healthy, keep up to date with your shots (if you are able) and try not to touch your eyes or put your hands to your mouth. Regular hand washing and keep your fingers crossed, works for most people.

It's amazing how some people function in their day to day lives obsessing over everything like this. I travel, stay in hotels, use the hotel tv remote, lay on top of the hotel bed, fly on planes, use public restrooms, use drinking fountains, push elevator buttons on cruise ships with my finger, touch bathroom door handles, etc etc etc etc and guess what....I'M STILL ALIVE, NOT SICK or DYING from some disease. :cool:

One more reason to get TSA pre.

We have TSA pre-check, but I still have to put my purse in one of those bins - I've tried putting it through on it's own and it gets stopped and I have to toss it into a bin.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I really don't understand how the misconception of toilet seat cleanliness still persists:rolleyes:. They are cleaned multiple times a day. If not you would most likely see a lot more stains in the public toilets;p, how else do people think they stay so white? Though the security tray thing makes me wonder do the staff who handle these trays have higher rates of illness than other airport staff?:confused:

They wear gloves!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's amazing how some people function in their day to day lives obsessing over everything like this. I travel, stay in hotels, use the hotel tv remote, lay on top of the hotel bed, fly on planes, use public restrooms, use drinking fountains, push elevator buttons on cruise ships with my finger, touch bathroom door handles, etc etc etc etc and guess what....I'M STILL ALIVE, NOT SICK or DYING from some disease. :cool:

This ^^^^

My wife has run a great in home daycare for 23 years and we both feel that it has played an important role in our strong immune system. Now me and food poisoning, that is a whole other deal.

• 1 month later...