Getting a Good Flight Price

punkinlr

Enjoying this thread. I too am considering Australia New Zealand cruise March 30th of Ovation. Looking at this airfare for business class on delta....its steep my friends. 2 people from Fort Lauderdale is 13k. And this is leaving and returning on a tuesday. The supposed cheapest day of the week. Not sure I can wait to cyber monday to book airfare on this one.

Todd

Check out flying premium economy on Qantas. Pictures of PE seats on the web site show a nice compromise between main cabin and BC at a much better price than BC.

if we can find a flight that would get us from LR to LAX late afternoon without me getting too nervous in case there's a delay, that might be the better call. Arriving back to LAX at 0600, we will surely fly back home the same day.

LR?

When are you looking to fly?

Thanks Diane. I will check out Qantas premium economy. Have 400k delta sky points so trying to use those. Guess I am just being spoiled trying to get those BC seats Maybe BC flying to Sydney and premium economy coming back??

Todd

Thanks Diane. I will check out Qantas premium economy. Have 400k delta sky points so trying to use those. Guess I am just being spoiled trying to get those BC seats Maybe BC flying to Sydney and premium economy coming back??

Todd

I gather from your posts that BC seats on delta are not available for miles?

Have you considered getting main cabin for miles and then paying to upgrade to BC?

We used miles on delta for a trip to Europe . .. main cabin and then paid to upgrade to PE. The PE seat upgrade cost us $200 pp. I have no idea what it would be for BC but might be worth a phone call to delta.

Check out flying premium economy on Qantas. Pictures of PE seats on the web site show a nice compromise between main cabin and BC at a much better price than BC.

Yes! I checked Qantas a bit ago (as I do just about every day), and they are posting a Summer Sale price today of under $4,800 USD for Premium Economy seats March 26 departure with an April 8th.

That just might be the best price so will probably book tonight!

Yes! I checked Qantas a bit ago (as I do just about every day), and they are posting a Summer Sale price today of under $4,800 USD for Premium Economy seats March 26 departure with an April 8th.

Enjoy!

I gather from your posts that BC seats on delta are not available for miles?

Have you considered getting main cabin for miles and then paying to upgrade to BC?

We used miles on delta for a trip to Europe . .. main cabin and then paid to upgrade to PE. The PE seat upgrade cost us $200 pp. I have no idea what it would be for BC but might be worth a phone call to delta.

Very few Delta flights are letting you upgrade after buying economy seats with miles now. It's very frustrating. What cost us $159 last year to BCN, now the ticket is more than twice as much as econo to fly PE. It looks like they are kind of reinventing the class, but they are going to have to do a lot more than offer drinks and priority boarding to what the PE cabin is now. Their international PE cabin is ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who loves Delta. I just booked flights for our NZ/Australia cruise and we can't do anything with Delta that makes sense. I'm not flying to SYD first to backtrack back to New Zealand. After terrible options and pricing, we bit the bullet and paid for nice Air NewZealand flights going from SLC to SFO to AUK... all premium economy and the seats look soooo much better than we've ever had on Delta's PE.

Is this for 2 of you?

Very few Delta flights are letting you upgrade after buying economy seats with miles now. It's very frustrating. What cost us $159 last year to BCN, now the ticket is more than twice as much as econo to fly PE. It looks like they are kind of reinventing the class, but they are going to have to do a lot more than offer drinks and priority boarding to what the PE cabin is now. Their international PE cabin is ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who loves Delta. I just booked flights for our NZ/Australia cruise and we can't do anything with Delta that makes sense. I'm not flying to SYD first to backtrack back to New Zealand. After terrible options and pricing, we bit the bullet and paid for nice Air NewZealand flights going from SLC to SFO to AUK... all premium economy and the seats look soooo much better than we've ever had on Delta's PE.

We are flying Delta PE from ROC to SYD. I would have much preferred to fly Qantas out of LAX but the timing and pricing was ridiculous. My husband who has mobilty problems insists on at least one hour between flights. Plus we were able to get round trip Delta PE for $1,600 per person. There was no way flights on any other airline was going to be even close to that. I can sleep anywhere. DH has trouble sleeping everywhere. LOL So we should be OK.

We are flying Delta PE from ROC to SYD. I would have much preferred to fly Qantas out of LAX but the timing and pricing was ridiculous. My husband who has mobilty problems insists on at least one hour between flights. Plus we were able to get round trip Delta PE for $1,600 per person. There was no way flights on any other airline was going to be even close to that. I can sleep anywhere. DH has trouble sleeping everywhere. LOL So we should be OK.

You did very well on your pricing. We usually fly Delta no matter what... living in SLC and all. But to go to Auckland there was just no easy way and I was NO WAY flying to SYD first and then backtracking. If it's Delta equipment, it's the only choice. That is a great price... especially from where you are departing. I would never book a domestic flight without an hour layover and depending on the international connection, I could need well over 2 hours. That said, I have terribly long layovers for this New Zealand cruise. Uggg.

Good job on your flights! Have a great time!

Is this for 2 of you?

Yes, this is for two - DH and me. I think it's a good deal. I've not priced ANZ, mainly b/c everyone that I know who has flown to AU or NZ unanimously said QANTAS. I've priced Untied and American and their flight prices made QANTAS look like bargain fares. DH refuses to fly Delta - too many bad experiences with late or canceled flights, lost luggage and having to go through Atlanta no matter where you are headed ;p

But I'll take a gander at ANZ and see what's what. Will probably stick with Qantas in the end. This sale only goes on til July 17th so I need to make up my mind soon!

When reading reviews, I honestly take most with a grain of salt.. There are so many factors - any given flight on any given airline on any given day can have a fantastic flight crew or a crappy one; seat comfort wonderful or cramped depending on the person's size, etc.

PE is amazing with yummy food and drinks or it's not worth the extra money.

I'm 5'4, but DH is 6'1 so he cares more about pitch and leg room than I do for most flights. However for almost 16 hours, I want to be as comfortable as I can afford to be.

It's just a big crap shoot that sadly we're never gonna win.

You did very well on your pricing. We usually fly Delta no matter what... living in SLC and all. But to go to Auckland there was just no easy way and I was NO WAY flying to SYD first and then backtracking. If it's Delta equipment, it's the only choice. That is a great price... especially from where you are departing. I would never book a domestic flight without an hour layover and depending on the international connection, I could need well over 2 hours. That said, I have terribly long layovers for this New Zealand cruise. Uggg.

Good job on your flights! Have a great time!

Totally agree with you that flying to SYD first is ridiculous. And also agree about the 2+ hours to transfer to an international flight. It's one thing missing a domestic connection ... another thing missing an international one.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise too! We did NZ a bunch of years ago and loved it.

Well, I did it! Bought our QANTAS tickets last night, PE seats x 2 for $4,800. So with that done, and our airbnb chosen and paid for, we are "all in" as they say. The airbnb is in North Fitzroy by the Gardens, still on Brunswick St. and easy access to the trams and highways.

Now to start making lists of all we want to do. Good thing I have 8 months to figure it out!

Thanks so much to everyone who gave much appreciated advice and guidance! I'm sure I'll have more questions, and of course, come back when the AFL schedule is posted. If anybody has more to share, please do!

Hey punkin....which cruise line are you taking out of new zealand? You got a great price for your airfare!

I'm looking at Ovation March 30th.

Todd

Hi Todd,

We're actually just doing a land adventure this time. I've been a member of CC for quite a while, and to me, the folks here are the best source for almost any travel question! The folks on this thread have given me invaluable advice and suggestions.

If you want to get on the Qantas summer sale, you better hurry - it's over on the 17th.

Enjoy the Ovation and New Zealand!

Lee Ann

• 3 weeks later...