Santorini waiting in line for the cable car

stjlo

I was wondering, when you are waiting for your turn to go back to port via cable car, are you waiting in an actual line or is it like a number system? Do you have to stand there and if so is it shaded or covered? Waiting 2-3 hours in the hot sun is not appealing!

As Bruce's post.

There's a bar or two right by the cablecar station so you could take turns to keep your place in the line. Ideal if there's four of you.

But faced with a long line I'd walk down the zig-zag path. It takes about 25 minutes & it's not strenuous, but no good if you have walking difficulties.

JB :)

I am told that for Celebrity Cruises, there is a crew member at the cable car entrance going down. They monitor the length of the line and how many cruisers remain. I don’t know how they identify Celebrity cruisers waiting to descend, but I am told that the tenders will be held until all cruisers are onboard and the crew member is the last Celebrity guest/ person to come down.

Given that information, I would be sitting in the shade until the size of the line becomes manageable or until the last minute if I found this to be true.

Edited by Knolmom
Sp

I am told that for Celebrity Cruises, there is a crew member at the cable car entrance going down. They monitor the length of the line and how many cruisers remain. I don’t know how they identify Celebrity cruisers waiting to descend, but I am told that the tenders will be held until all cruisers are onboard and the crew member is the last Celebrity guest/ person to come down.

Given that information, I would be sitting in the shade until the size of the line becomes manageable or until the last minute if I found this to be true.

Most cruise lines monitor how many are ashore by scanning your cruise card when you come on board, so at any given time, they can say there are XX number pax still ashore. This could be done as you board the tenders as well. So, what happens as the "all aboard time" approaches, the ship advises the personnel operating the tender dock so they ill know when all pax and staff are aboard.

Otherwise, monitoring at the top of the cable car area makes little sense.

Just one long line. Not well organized or monitored. How long depends on time of day and how many ships are in port.

It also depends on which cruiselines are in port. If there are a number of ships mainly filled with people for whom it's not customary to stand in line, it's less of a line and more of a free-for-all :(

• Like 1

Most cruise lines monitor how many are ashore by scanning your cruise card when you come on board, so at any given time, they can say there are XX number pax still ashore.

Hi Bruce

I think we can safely say that "all cruise lines monitor how many are ashore by scanning your cruise card ...." :)

• Like 1

Every time we have been in Santorini (at least a dozen times) our ship has had somebody at the top station who quietly monitored the situation. They relay info to the ship which gives them a better handle on the situation. We have never heard of any ship departing until all their folks (at the cable car station) are back on board. Perhaps somebody has had a different experience but we do not recall any posts to the contrary.

Hank

• Like 1

Wow, Hank... you've enjoyed Santorini a dozen times!!!

You should be considered a destination expert!!!

I would love to hear your 'musts', places to see, places to eat.

Maybe I should start another thread????

To be a destination expert one should spend a few weeks on land. We have had the time to drive around most of the island, relax on beaches and try various restaurants. We often prefer to have lunch at one of then Oia places that offers a good view but our decision is usually made on the spur of the moment based on daily specials and the time issue.

When we started crusing to Santorini on the 70s the ships were fewer and much smaller. We miss those days:o

Hank

• Like 1

It also depends on which cruiselines are in port. If there are a number of ships mainly filled with people for whom it's not customary to stand in line, it's less of a line and more of a free-for-all :(

My point exactly. I was not commenting on cruise ships monitoring their passengers but on the fact that some people line up better than others and that no one locally takes line responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is there not a bus ride back to the port? Why is it only the cable car or the mule ride or walk?

For the same reason that buses don't go down the side of the Grand Canyon, or the White Cliffs of Dover ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry I don't understand the answer. A bus takes you up to the level of where the cable cars are, why cannot they not take you back down . The buses somehow get back to bring more up. The answer no doubt is "it's a money thing".

Sorry I don't understand the answer. A bus takes you up to the level of where the cable cars are, why cannot they not take you back down . The buses somehow get back to bring more up. The answer no doubt is "it's a money thing".

google Santorini and you will see there is a sheer cliff face from tender dock in Fira

only way up is walk donkey or cable car

the bus that takes you up is from a different port called Athionis which is further along coast and has a zig zag road which can be accessed by buses

the ships excursions tender you to this port and bus to Oia

however they do not offer same arrangements for return journey-all are dropped off at top of Fira for same walk donkey or cable car

I know what it looks like, but I wondered why they have not made a way to get back otherwise. Money maker, but it is fun and we did enjoy it when we could do it. Now we cannot because of health issues, but we would still like to visit Oia, but we cannot. Thanks everyone for your input.

As Fabnforty's reply, buses go down to the harbour at Athinios (it's a ferry-port), several miles from where cruise ships drop anchor. Those on ships' excursions are tendered there.

But the ships anchor close to the jetty below Fira, where their tenders land those not on ships' excursions. Just a jetty at the bottom of the cliff, and just served by the cable-car and the zig-zag path.

Ships' excursions end in Fira, at the top of the cliff, adding to the cable-car lines to go back down.

Yes, I'm sure that money has something to do with it, it usually does.

Perhaps not wanting to pay for buses' waiting time when giving excursionists free time in Fira at the end of their excursion, before a short drive to Athinios.

And I don't know why the little ferry that sails from the tender pier to the jetty below Oia doesn't also operate in the opposite direction. :confused:

But some good news - Celebrity passengers report that they are now returning their excursion passengers to Athinios & tendering back from there. Good news for all Celebrity passengers, both those on ship's excursion and those who'll find the cable-car that little bit less over-stretched.

Hopefully other cruise lines will follow suit. (yn)

• Like 1

The last time I was in Santorini was 12 years ago on a Regent cruise. We were tendered into the port and took an excursion by bus. We were dropped off in Fira and the guide us around. Our group of 6 had lunch at an outdoor café and then took the cable car down. - no long lines. I was able to take a great picture of our ship at anchor.

My wife and I will be traveling to Santorini this coming May for a few days stay. The cruise we are taking ends in Piraeus. From everything we have read, the Island is a lot more crowded then when we were there in Oct. 2006. From what we have read, the local government is trying to control the number of visitors coming ashore at any one time. I think they are going to delay or ban the very large cruise ships as the dump too many people ashore and the Island is not equipped to handle those numbers.

• 2 months later...

First of all, check this site for your date in Santorini, and then you'll know how much a problem you'll have with the cable car line:  http://ports.cruisett.com/ .  I always put the number of ships in port in my planning notes for all of our itineraries.  Really helps to plan the day in port.

My husband travels with a very lightweight collapsible stool, as he has back problems when he stands too long.  It's titanium, holds up to 300 lbs, and it fits any 26" suitcase.  Very handy when we travel and might have to stand in any long line.  He just goes somewhere and waits until I get to the head of the line.  Walking tours where you stand and listen, museums, just about anywhere.  We will definitely be using it in Santorini.

However, I suggest using cell phone and texting back and forth.  Take turns sitting, walking around, getting something to drink, and then texting when it time to get on the cable car.