sailing from Venice

Pluto_fan

Hi All--

We're currently stationed in Belgium (husband is US military) and will be sailing out of Venice at the end of October. Looking at airfare for our family of 5 is making me consider driving instead. I'm thinking about driving to Vicenza or Aviano the day before departure (we have visited Venice before, so don't plan to tour there on this trip). If anyone is currently stationed there, or has been stationed there recently, or has done what I'm considering, I'd appreciate your insight into several questions...

Might there be lodging available at a reasonable cost?

Is there long-term (9 days) parking availble?

What about transportation options into Venice?

Of course it would probably just be simpler to drive right to Venice and park at the port, but I want to consider all our options, and of course try to save some euros! Thanks for any input you might be able to provide!

Hi All--

We're currently stationed in Belgium (husband is US military) and will be sailing out of Venice at the end of October. Looking at airfare for our family of 5 is making me consider driving instead. I'm thinking about driving to Vicenza or Aviano the day before departure (we have visited Venice before, so don't plan to tour there on this trip). If anyone is currently stationed there, or has been stationed there recently, or has done what I'm considering, I'd appreciate your insight into several questions...

Might there be lodging available at a reasonable cost?

Is there long-term (9 days) parking availble?

What about transportation options into Venice?

Of course it would probably just be simpler to drive right to Venice and park at the port, but I want to consider all our options, and of course try to save some euros! Thanks for any input you might be able to provide!

The U.S. military lodging facility at Vicenza is called The Ederle Inn. The email address there is: ederleinn@setaf.mil

If you'd like the telephone and/or fax numbers, just post again, and I'll get them.

It's been years since I've been there, but I remember the lodging facility there as wonderful. I'm sure they would allow you to park your car for nine days at the inn, and if they're pressed for parking spaces, ask for either the Rec Center or MWR; one or the other will come up with a suggestion for you to park your car free of charge. I'm sorry, but I don't know about the transportation options into Venice, but again, the reservations manager or the front desk manager would most probably be able to answer your questions, and if not, try MWR. Your car would be safer on the base than if you parked at the port, and it's entirely possible the cost of your transportation into Venice would make leaving your car on the base the wisest choice (you don't want to return to a car that has been vandalized).

Hope this info helps, post again if it doesn't, and please thank your husband for his service to our country!!!

Thanks for your reply! I had the same thought about the safety of parking on base rather than at the port. I will definitely check out the Ederle Inn.

Please post again to let me know how you make out. If you want to email directly, it's: mountainlakesdrive@gmail.com I have info here for U.S. military lodging around the world, and I also have information about lodging facilities that are operated for military members in countries other than the US, but where US military and their families are allowed to stay even if our military member is not on duty when he or she checks in.

• 3 years later...

I was also wondering about parking in Vicenza. I have a 14 day cruise leaving venice in July and wouldn't mind leaving my car in Vicenza. My wife has taken the space A bus from lodging to Marco Polo airport when she was visiting, so i think we are going to go that route.

We ended up flying for that cruise. Hopefully someone will come along with current information. We're considering another cruise from Venice for summer 2016, so we'll need to think through this all again!

Happy cruising!

• 2 months later...