Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 47

pierces

Getting the firepit going for smores tonight...

(Actually it's the stump I dug up (second one), and tried to chop it smaller but gave up. As long as it's in a "recreational pit", it doesn't count as a field burn)

Just thought it looked funny...44af1c362ccfb3c5189b2175dcc36bc8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What is tradition? “The transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation” is the primary definition. Our Thanksgiving menu has traditional foods and for the most part, the menu is static year after year. (Mostly, we stick with the menu pretty closely to avoid the whining if someone’s favorite were to get cut.) However, all traditions start somewhere. Over the last year or so, we have started using the sous vide cooking method and have been amazed with the results. This year, we added Creme Bruleé to the dessert menu and the “cooking with science” precision produced flawless results. Pumpkin pie is still a tradition, but a new one has been born.

New Traditions

p2646041023-5.jpg

Dave

The birds are coming thicker and thicker down here in S. Florida, as wintering birds have mostly arrived, some migrant birds still passing through, and the nesting birds have begun their mating and nest-building process. This time of year always means great opportunities for bird-in-flight (BIF) shooting, so here are some BIFs from Saturday:

Great blue heron stretched out in flight:

original.jpg

Tricolor heron soaring by:

original.jpg

Ibis flying past:

original.jpg

Black bellied whistling ducks banking around in lovely light:

original.jpg

Cormorant making a pass:

original.jpg

What is tradition? “The transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation” is the primary definition. Our Thanksgiving menu has traditional foods and for the most part, the menu is static year after year. (Mostly, we stick with the menu pretty closely to avoid the whining if someone’s favorite were to get cut.) However, all traditions start somewhere. Over the last year or so, we have started using the sous vide cooking method and have been amazed with the results. This year, we added Creme Bruleé to the dessert menu and the “cooking with science” precision produced flawless results. Pumpkin pie is still a tradition, but a new one has been born.

New Traditions

p2646041023-5.jpg

Dave

Neither my DH or I like pumpkin pie so we don't have it. DH's parents never did anything for any holiday. Just my mother and I followed traditions for holidays and DH loved it. It is kind of cut down a bit now that there is just the 2 of us. I cook a turkey breast, make yams, make green bean casserole, make a fruited stuffing and there is gravy. Dessert -- home made pecan pie. And of course a good wine.