San Francisco. Safe areas

keltic

I will be cruising from San Francisco at the end of September. No idea where to get a pre cruise hotel. I have been told "Tenderloin" NO WAY. I have found one between Union Square and China Town. Any place to avoid? Safety tips?.

In Long Beach we get the cruise excursion. No idea how safe are Santa Barbara, San Diego or Ensenada.

Hi,

Santa Barbara and San Diego are VERY safe!!

Depending on what you want to see/do it is easy to do those ports on your own.

Ensenada is safe too but I'd take a tour to the wine tasting area if that interests you at all.

Which hotel are you considering in San Francisco.

We have stayed between Union Square and Chinatown and it is fine.

The problem in San Francisco is not so much that you would be UNsafe. It is that there are unSIGHTly people/homeless that put visitors off their fun trips.

Just don't stare or interact with them.

Hi,

Santa Barbara and San Diego are VERY safe!!

Depending on what you want to see/do it is easy to do those ports on your own.

Ensenada is safe too but I'd take a tour to the wine tasting area if that interests you at all.

Which hotel are you considering in San Francisco.

We have stayed between Union Square and Chinatown and it is fine.

The problem in San Francisco is not so much that you would be UNsafe. It is that there are unSIGHTly people/homeless that put visitors off their fun trips.

Just don't stare or interact with them.

Thanks for the tips. We are considering The Triton Hotel. All expensive as hell. I don't know if there's any convention or prices are normally insane.

The advice about not staring is just what we would call "street smarts".

Staring can bring about an angry response from the person you are looking at.

It does not mean I think they are not "human beings"!!

Many are mentally ill and you do not want to interact with them unless you want problems!!

The advice about not staring is just what we would call "street smarts".

Staring can bring about an angry response from the person you are looking at.

It does not mean I think they are not "human beings"!!

Many are mentally ill and you do not want to interact with them unless you want problems!!

Gotcha, thank you for the clarification.

The homeless I've interacted with in my "small" hometown aren't necessarily like that.

Thank you for the explanation.

Of course there are all sorts of homeless people from families living in cars to drug addicts and the mentally ill.

If someone politely comes up to me or is sitting quietly on the street we might offer to buy a meal or buy water or something like that.

If someone is talking to themselves or shouting strange things I wouldn't stare!

To those from cities or small towns who are not used to these situations I think it is easier for them to just not engage as they don't have the experience to judge the situation.

Many folks have been unnerved by seeing the amount of homeless we have here in California! Our great weather ,lack of enough facilities for mentally ill and the fact that some states send their homeless here on buses adds to the problems!

San Francisco spends over $300 million plus, yes million, a year on homelessness. That's not including emergency medical care for them. When a hundred is found housing, a hundred and five newly arrives. A major portion of the "homeless" are people addicted to something, those are the one you avoid (hint: pit bulls); most of those refuse services to get them out of their situation.

When the police does something like making an arrest, the District Attorney will take a pass and the homeless advocates will protest saying it's a lifestyle and they should left alone. One individual had over 500 citations, when he finally got in front of a judge, the judge dismissed them all if he went into treatment. Never showed up for treatment.

Enjoy the City that (used to) Knows How! And watch where you step when walking around. :cool:

A SF Native.

having lived in the Bay Area for 30+ years, I avoid the area your hotel is in- Edge of the Tenderloin. It's not a very pretty area. It's only convenient to Union Square, so if you stay here, you will be taking public transportation out to the different tourist and scenic sites.

I think you should look at hotels near Fisherman's wharf or nearer to the Water. Just my two cents.

San Francisco spends over $300 million plus, yes million, a year on homelessness. That's not including emergency medical care for them. When a hundred is found housing, a hundred and five newly arrives. A major portion of the "homeless" are people addicted to something, those are the one you avoid (hint: pit bulls); most of those refuse services to get them out of their situation.

When the police does something like making an arrest, the District Attorney will take a pass and the homeless advocates will protest saying it's a lifestyle and they should left alone. One individual had over 500 citations, when he finally got in front of a judge, the judge dismissed them all if he went into treatment. Never showed up for treatment.

Enjoy the City that (used to) Knows How! And watch where you step when walking around. :cool:

A SF Native.

Seattle is exactly the same way. $300 million being spent on the homeless. A added benefit to the Homeless, they can spend their time in Seattle and when they want to leave, Seattle will pay for a one airfare for them. Also if the homeless has a RV, they can park anywhere in the city free, including the $6/hr parking spaces downtown. A Obama appointed Judge says they have a right to a home, therefore no parking tickets can be given.

I stayed at the Triton in 2016 and found it to be a fun and safe hotel. I walked from the hotel to Union Square, into Chinatown (right across the street) and even down to the Ferry Building without even the hint of an incident. Triton also has the Cafe La Presse downstairs which is a good french style bistro for breakfast and lunch and there is a Starbucks and a wine bar within 100 yards of the entrance. San Francisco does have more than its fair share of homeless, but there honestly weren't that many by the Triton when I was there. Certainly Fisherman's Wharf is more upscale, but price can be a big issue in San Francisco.

I have stayed on the edge of the Tenderloin in the past (I travel to SF quite often) and agree it is an area to avoid. However, the Triton is far enough away from the Tenderloin that it should not be an issue. I recommend the Triton to others and gave it a positive review on TripAdivisor. Hope this helps from someone who has stayed there in the past!

The Tenderloin must have moved a fair distance or you don't know where it is located if you think the Triton is "on the edge" of it???

It is right next to Chinatown which is not on the edge of the Tenderloin at all.

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying there.

Thanks again for the tips. Although I have homeless in the city I live, I don't think they cause any safety problem to anyone who doesn't mess with them. After all, they are just ordinary people with problems to feel compasion for

100% safety is virtually impossible but I was refering to gangs activity, violent assaults and all that stuff.

Fishermen Wharf is just outragously expensive. I know for someone living in a big city the safety concerns is too repetitive and annoying. But coming from a small spot where never anything wrong happens, safety is something which comes to our mind too often when we travel.

Anyway, it looks like a safe area at least at daylight to stay at.

Enviado desde mi SM-T813 mediante Tapatalk

I believe San Francisco is second to New York City in terms of hotel prices.

Recent reports say a six figure income is considered "low income" in San Francisco where something like 70% of the population can't afford the median priced home of $1.6 million :eek: (Fortune 7/2018)

We are booked directly with holiday inn express fisherman wharf for our 4 night labor day weekend trip. The price has dropped 7 times (from $1603) since I booked and each time I call and get a price adjustment. It is now $1086 total for 4 nights with free breakfast. So shop around....and watch for price drops..then call and get the lower price.

We are booked directly with holiday inn express fisherman wharf for our 4 night labor day weekend trip. The price has dropped 7 times (from $1603) since I booked and each time I call and get a price adjustment. It is now $1086 total for 4 nights with free breakfast. So shop around....and watch for price drops..then call and get the lower price.
Yes. I will have an eye on it.

Enviado desde mi SM-T813 mediante Tapatalk

Keep pricing SF hotels they can change frequently. I would book something to lock it in and then keep shopping. I just booked two weeks ago the Hilton Union Sq for $225 for a junior suite for this weekend. Santa Barbara and San Diego are extremely walking safe. If you haven't booked an excursion yet for Ensenada you might want to look at www.bajatestkitchen.com for foody wine tours.