Nautica Greenock

pinkpanther52

It was pretty bad in Edinburgh earlier. Main streets in centre of town closed. We had a Hugh tree in our work car park come down and just miss the main Edinburgh to London train line. Have friends stuck in Glasgow as all trains are cancelled but as long as everyone is safe.

All of that were on the morning tours were brought back to the Greenock City Hall. We were told that due to the wind, the ship was forced out of the dock. I heard, but this is not confirmed, that the gangway let loose in the acting winds. We have been told that based based on the weather the ship can come back to the dock around 8 pm tonight and have asked us to all come back to the city hall at 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The winds were unreal. Our bus pulled over to the side of the road and decided to turn around due to the wind. The bridges were closed to high side vehicles and several road were closed due to fallen trees. After about 5 hours of driving around we were taken to the city hall. On a positive note. The people in Greenock are incredible. They were taking care of us the best they could with coffee and biscuits. People were so friendly. Especially those in the 134 Steakhouse that has been servicing us drinks as we try and muddle through [emoji28][emoji485]. So much for my reservation at Toscano tonight [emoji30]

The winds were unreal. Our bus pulled over to the side of the road and decided to turn around due to the wind. The bridges were closed to high side vehicles and several road were closed due to fallen trees. After about 5 hours of driving around we were taken to the city hall. On a positive note. The people in Greenock are incredible. They were taking care of us the best they could with coffee and biscuits. People were so friendly. Especially those in the 134 Steakhouse that has been servicing us drinks as we try and muddle through [emoji28][emoji485]. So much for my reservation at Toscano tonight [emoji30]

Thanks for the updates from someone on board.

Yes all the bridges were closed to highside vehicles. Wind gust were reported at 102 miles per hour 😱 Must say we have some wild weather but this is exceptional.

Weather warning now in place till 23:00 hours tonight.

Hope all you and yours are safe. And you can enjoy rthe rest of you trip.

Its amazing..on the Family and Friends cruise (very first cruise of Regatta before Inagural) the exact same thing happened in Bordeaux

Stu and I were in an old winery for a dinner tour and there was a Tornado..all the lights went out and the wind was amazing downing trees etc. We finally took the bus back to the ship dodging the downed trees etc. Regatta had broken 9 of 11 lines and was floating over to the other side of the river until a tug came to hold her against the dock..While we watched and waited to get back on..The gangway went down ..thank God no one was on it at the time..just think..if Regatta had gone down there would be no Oceania..

People that were on that cruise talk about it often tho it was 15 years ago..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

First groups of passengers FINALLY making it back to the ship. The gangway was definitely Macgyver’d but it got us aboard. Interesting to see what they do tomorrow in Belfast. [emoji848]

SO glad no one was *on* the gangway at the moment... That could have become extremely... unpleasant.

I suppose there was at least some warning, as the ship - and gangway - started moving in unusual and increasingly alarming ways.

GC

Thanks Roger for that video report! I had seen some videos earlier (based on links posted above) that showed Nautica drifting ... As the video mentions, Nautica has faced far heavier seas elsewhere and came out just fine. But it must have been a disappointing day on shore! Then again, good stories to tell ...

Glad everyone is okay and it wasn't worse!

Mura