Ladies, what kind of purse do you use when cruising?

Okay I’m a little lost with the purse issue. I have meds I have to take with me I also unfortunately the cruise was booked by someone else so it will be that womanly time of the month. Unless your not having the monthly which unfortunately I am and need my meds how can you not have something. Also thank you for the comment on the Walmart bag I have heard so much about Vera Bradley stuff since I’m going on my first cruise sorry but not able to do that . Ross or target has some nice things lol

Try Ebags, they sell a couple cross body bags meant for traveling. They have lots of pockets to keep your stuff organized.

As for the womanly time of the month- our trick (and I realize this isn’t for everyone), is birth control pills. Don’t take the sugar week, just start the next pack. No period. Has been saving our vacations for years, as we are 2 girls and that often means 50% of every month is off limits. Who wants to go to a beach and wear a swimsuit with that going on? Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

Usually I just use a fanny pack when we are in port or a beach bag if it is a beach day. For our upcoming British Isles cruise, however, it will be very port intensive and we are spending a few days in Amsterdam before the cruise. I bought this bag, which was recommended by a friend (and is very highly rated on Amazon).

https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Cross-Body-Pocket-Blue/dp/B00DHFJIBW/ref=sr_1_3?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1525887115&sr=1-3&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=travelon%2Banti%2Btheft%2Bcrossbody%2Bbag%2B2%2Bpocket&th=1

I use a clutch for formal nights but it's pretty empty - just a lipstick, seapass and tissues. I'll also put the Cruise Compass in there as well as we'll often have a look at it over dinner and decide what we are doing later in the evening. Going to the pool or to the beach I use a backpack that can be locked with a padlock. I'd prefer a tote but I don't feel it's as secure as a lockable backpack. I'm not sure if it's possible to have one bag to use for all occasions.

• 4 months later...
I use a clutch for formal nights but it's pretty empty - just a lipstick, seapass and tissues. I'll also put the Cruise Compass in there as well as we'll often have a look at it over dinner and decide what we are doing later in the evening. Going to the pool or to the beach I use a backpack that can be locked with a padlock. I'd prefer a tote but I don't feel it's as secure as a lockable backpack. I'm not sure if it's possible to have one bag to use for all occasions.
I use a nylon Roots crossbody if I'm on a tour that doesn't have a beach stop. Has lots of pockets and can hold a bottle of water. For the beach I carry a backpack also with several compartments and this doubles as my carry on piece. For evening a small wristlet holds my seapass and lipstick which always needs refreshing. This works out great for me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I also use a Vera Bradley wristlet to carry my phone, glasses, meds, lipstick. I also have a matching lanyard I can hook to it if I want to carry it over my shoulder...works great. Vera has many different patterns & sizes of wristlets and if you have an outlet store close by, you can get them pretty cheap, or keep an eye on their website sales.

As far as plane travel to and from the cruise: we lately had a flight where they were not allowing cross-bodies as "free" but they had to go in the daypack/personal item! I do not know how small a strap-wallet would have to be to not "count". Fortunately I was able to stuff my cross-body in my daypack. Will plan on doing so from here out!

I like a fairly large cross-body on land tours, big enough for a guide book, etc. But for cruises I may have hit on something with a metallic gold purse I found at Walmart on clearance no less. It's big enough for phone, makeup, wallet, necessaries for plane. Dressy enough for dinner. Small enough to slip into the daypack.

Another thing I did when packing for a transatlantic: I found a cloth 'bucket bag' and packed it open in the bottom of my daypack, so that everything else that needed to go in there, went inside the bucket bag. On the ship it functioned as my knitting bag and held my Kindle, etc for carrying around the ship.

I took this on a Med cruise and loved it for our pre trip in Rome and in the ports. My sons even felt comfortable carrying for me and we could fit in water bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKMREAS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my real find is the following bag which I'm using for work travel and LOVE. it can fit an ipad or laptop easily, without looking huge, has a good number of convenient sized pouches/pockets, water-resistant and can be wiped, side pocket for water bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFVJ8E8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this thread as I had just decided the other day to take the Vera Bradley backpack instead of a purse for our cruise. Hubby bought me a beautiful Kate Spade wristlet on his last cruise so I will carry that around the cruise. I also love the Vera Bradley hipster for something smaller than a backpack. Now I have to decide between the backpack and the hipster. The Vera Bradley online outlet is starting a sale tomorrow. I just got the notice in my email today. You have to sign up to get those specific emails. https://www.verabradley.com/us/gateway/gateway.jsp?siteDownRedirect=true

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a dark grey Baggallini cross body today at my local TJMaxx in CT. Lightweight nylon, colorful lining with several secure zip pockets and a water bottle pocket. They had DOZENS, under $25.00 with retail price of $85.00. It was hard to choose: tan, black, blue, green, patterns, small, med, large.

Plan to use it on the plane and for excursions.

Ugh... I hate adding to such an old thread, but wanted to share another great handbag/ travel bag company: LUG (luglife.ca). They are also found on QVC in the states. Fun colours/patterns, some super girly, some of the larger travel bags/backpacks are gender neutral. Almost all have a wallet type pocket that is RFID protected.

On my recent cruise I used the Flyer with a wristlet strap for evenings, especially formal nights when I didn't have pockets. The Bumper made for an excellent carry-on for the flight home. The Packable puddlejumper was so great for ports where plastic/paper bags are no longer provided by stores.

As far as plane travel to and from the cruise: we lately had a flight where they were not allowing cross-bodies as "free" but they had to go in the daypack/personal item! I do not know how small a strap-wallet would have to be to not "count". Fortunately I was able to stuff my cross-body in my daypack. Will plan on doing so from here out!

I am glad to hear they are cracking down on bag #3. A purse, regardless of the size, is a personal item. People want a rollaboard, a "personal item" that's usually as large as the rollaboard, and then a purse. That's not what's supposed to be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...