Alaska Excitement

Hoyaheel

I don't really have a question, just excitement! We've finally booked a trip for my husband's 50th (which was in April) - we're doing an Alaska cruise in September. This will be my 3rd Alaska cruise (2nd with husband) and my 4th trip to Alaska, so I'm pretty much set on what will be in my suitcase ;p

I'm doing my packing list (my ppt) a little differently right now (yeah, I totally start planning months in advance if I book months in advance! ) I have a couple pages with clothing ideas and I'm trying to set up my separates by use - on the ship, on land/excursions, and dinner. There will be overlap in the categories, which I am currently showing by overlap on my visual column barriers.

This will be an 11 day cruise, on Seabourn - our first time on that line! So we won't dress up too much. Husband will bring a sports coat (he would anyway, as a dinner warmth layer) and ties aren't required. I'm not entirely sure what I'll wear, but my norm is dresses for day or evening so I'll be fine.....

Oh what fun to do a packing list!!!

[so, whenever I order clothing, I save a photo of the piece of clothing in a file on my computer. For older items, I look online for photos of similar items or take a photo of my own piece. Then I can insert anything into my powerpoint to have a visual of the outfits....]

I have total Alaska excitement!!!

We leave in 25 days!!!

It's my (and my DH and DS') first Alaska trip. My parents are also coming and it is their second Alaska cruise. We booked it in October? Last year? For June sailing. We'll be in Vancouver for two nights...then the northbound cruise to Alaska...then Kenai Peninsula for 4 nights... And we started planning and purchasing the perceived holes in our wardrobe immediately after booking...

I'm so excited I could talk about this for hours...what are your packing plans?

Ours are a bit unusual as we are going camping after the cruise. Yes, we are packing backpacks, sleeping bags, sleeping pads...but we are staying in a public use cabin...so not packing a tent. DH and I put off Alaska for the longest time because we wanted to go there to see the WILD...and get into the wilderness...go camping or backpacking. A weird string of dominos led to me booking this cruise and us having the extra time...and so we ARE getting SOME wilderness time, with the somewhat compromise of staying in a public use cabin so that we are guaranteed decent shelter if we have inclement weather.

Aren't you in NC? I just moved here last summer...

Anyway...I THINK we've done the shopping necessary and I'm going to be laying out what I think I'm taking now. Would love to know what you are planning.

Yes, we're in NC - I moved here in 1998 so I've now lived in NC longer than I've lived anywhere else! We both came from up north and we love to travel in "off" seasons so we have plenty of goretex and cold weather gear. Our last trip to AK was 2007 when one of my brothers was living outside Fairbanks - we flew there and stayed with his family 4 days (well, a day and a half in Fairbanks, then Labor Day long weekend at their house in Delta Junction) then we drove to Anchorage the back way - saw SO MUCH wildlife. Had gone hiking & fishing etc. No camping ;-)

This time we're flying to Vancouver early - there for 3 nights. I'm excited - haven't spent much time there and can't wait to eat my way through town! Need to finalize our hotel this weekend, actually... Then the 11 day northbound cruise that ends in Seward, and we fly home from ANC the following day (have already booked the Lakeview hotel near the airport)

For clothing - goretex rain coat, fleece jacket (to be worn together or separate as needed), a rainhat (we both wear glasses so we travel with our OR sombreros or ex officio rain hats with good brims ;-) Probably fleece beanie, gloves & scarf too (I'm not sure for me - I might bring a decorative light wool scarf instead that I could wear with a dress at dinners too) I don't travel in jeans (I don't wear jeans often anyway -and I really dislike them for travel because they don't dry quickly enough after rain or laundry). So, a couple pairs of black pants of different materials and/or styles. Dresses for dinner (knit, I have one merlot Eileen Fisher jersey knit and another St JOhn black tank - easy to change around accessories). I have a great pair of comfy Haglofs goretex walking shoes, and my silver gizeh birkenstocks for the ship/dinners, but not sure the rest of shoes yet.

For warmth layers, silk long underwear and a couple of merino or uniqlo heat tech tees as my base layer to pile on or wear alone as needed. I haven't decided on daytime/land layer 2 yet (anything between the base layer and the fleece)....

We're really enjoying NC...haven't made it up into the mountains as often as we would like. And haven't hit the coast yet either...but still. It feels much more like home than our previous 5 years in GA ever did.

Our packing sounds so similar! We both must be going to Alaska! LOL. I'm also bringing two dresses to wear on the cruise for when I feel like changing in the evenings. Not sure how much I will but I'll have them for if I do. Also knit. Mine are knit bamboo. One is long sleeved and one short.

I have been focusing more on the daytime wear. I've a couple of merino wool base layer options...one is thicker and more for glacier viewing and cold/cool (it'd be a good stand alone shirt)...a lightweight long sleeve and a couple short sleeve.

For a middle warmth layer...I have a part puffy/part stretch jacket. Debating bringing my fleece pullover. Debating bringing a flannel shirt.

And of course, my raincoat.

My hiking boots are old school. Leather inside and out. I bought them 20 years ago in Colorado and call me crazy but I've hiked in them so many places...I really want to take them to Alaska. But they aren't practical for city walking...a bit of overkill...so I recently picked up some trail runners. Debating sandals. I guess I'm concerned that I'll be too cool on the ship for sandals?

For bottoms...I picked up some fun trail leggings from Athleta. They have a lot of pockets. They are very thick and warm and will be good for cooler days. I have a pair of cargo technical pants. They are thicker though, so not sure how quick dry. I have to look at them again. And test my convertible pants for fit. I do still need to figure out the bottoms...mainly because of possible fit issues. I've been waiting to get closer to our actual time of going before going through it all. I'm pretty sure I can pull together what I need from what I have, I just have to see what is most comfortable.

Last fall we bought wind resistant gloves. I also have fleece gloves, but not sure if I'll also bring those. I have a fun ponytail beanie that I just got. I don't have a rain hat per se, because I just wear a baseball cap if it rains. I have a quick dry fabric one...but I'm debating another one that would be more "fun"; I picked it up when we saw The Dead and Company last summer...it's has a dancing bear on it.

I'm also not much of a jeans wearing person...I have one pair. I might bring them if the weather in Vancouver looks like it would be jeans weather...and if they fit well! LOL. But still debating.

I'm still debating a bunch. I need to get it all laid out...and try stuff on. I know I don't want to take too much.

I have some great water resistant pants - regular, leggings, fleece lined.....But none fit me right now :-( So hopefully I'll lose enough weight this summer to fit into them before the cruise. If not, I have other options in a larger size. Not things I like as much, but I am NOT shopping for new stuff ;-)

Our last cruise was about the same time - just after Labor Day. And we had really nice and warm days so many places (it was 75 and sunny in Ketchikan! But it was 35 and sleeting in Skagway - that was the worst weather we had, and really one of the only days the weather was really bad/cold). My goal is to pack mostly in the middle, with something warm and something cool in case of weather extremes outside the forecast.....

I don't really have a question, just excitement! We've finally booked a trip for my husband's 50th (which was in April) - we're doing an Alaska cruise in September. This will be my 3rd Alaska cruise (2nd with husband) and my 4th trip to Alaska, so I'm pretty much set on what will be in my suitcase ;p

I'm doing my packing list (my ppt) a little differently right now (yeah, I totally start planning months in advance if I book months in advance! ) I have a couple pages with clothing ideas and I'm trying to set up my separates by use - on the ship, on land/excursions, and dinner. There will be overlap in the categories, which I am currently showing by overlap on my visual column barriers.

This will be an 11 day cruise, on Seabourn - our first time on that line! So we won't dress up too much. Husband will bring a sports coat (he would anyway, as a dinner warmth layer) and ties aren't required. I'm not entirely sure what I'll wear, but my norm is dresses for day or evening so I'll be fine.....

[so, whenever I order clothing, I save a photo of the piece of clothing in a file on my computer. For older items, I look online for photos of similar items or take a photo of my own piece. Then I can insert anything into my powerpoint to have a visual of the outfits....]

Oooh I have Alaska excitement too!!! And nobody on my roll call to talk to! Haha

Going in July for my 2nd Alaskan cruise. Went last July. Both on Royal Caribbean Explorer.

Packing this time will be a lot easier. Last year we booked about 2 weeks before the cruise left so there wasnt any time to plan. And I only took one pair of pants. I really wouldn't reccomend that!

Going to start some shopping soon (probably all on amazon). And getting toiletries together. I like to start packing super early.

We live about an hour away from Seattle so cruising Alaska is really convenient for us.

Looking forward to chatting more!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Oooh I have Alaska excitement too!!! And nobody on my roll call to talk to! Haha

Same here! I mean, I know it's a small ship, but there were people on my River Cruise from CC, surely someone else here is on my cruise? ;p

Booking 2 weeks out - that's quick! I'm torn - I like a last minute trip but I also like lots of time to research.....

Same here! I mean, I know it's a small ship, but there were people on my River Cruise from CC, surely someone else here is on my cruise? ;p

Booking 2 weeks out - that's quick! I'm torn - I like a last minute trip but I also like lots of time to research.....

Ya 2 weeks was not enough as I like to plan everything out. I feel like I'm already behind for this trip. I need to step it up and get my packing list in order. You sound like you have a good idea of what your bringing.

My roll call never took off either! I don't understand!!

Two weeks out for booking! OMG. Honestly, though, if I lived that close to embarkation, I think that I could do that for a second trip to Alaska. Not sure about the first though! Do you have your plans in place? I"m a big planner too...Alaska was overwhelming until I just focused in on one portion at a time. Find the overall theme and then run with it.

Our theme was glaciers, but the big splurge excursion that I booked was canceled. It's not as horrible as it could be because it was canceled about 1-2 weeks after booking it back in October or November. Glaciers is still a focus...but I'd have to add fishing now as a secondary focus.

Weight issues are the worst. I was doing great last fall. Had really made progress with a great eating plan and being active and it all kind of went south with the holidays and birthdays and the cold weather. You have time though between now and September. Do you do a bunch of outdoors type things? I love to walk and hike. I've recently just decided that I'm going to get back to doing that...and I've been trying to walk everyday. Not necessarily fitness walking...but I do walk for a while and I do work up a bit of a sweat. Mostly, I'm feeling good about walking on my knee...that's my main concern for our trip. I injured my knee a couple years ago and I do better when I'm consistently walking and using it. If I get too sedentary, then I have issues with swelling and stiffness when I get back to using it.

So we didn't do any excursions the first trip and dont plan on any this one either. Yes I know it sounds crazy. But they are very expensive and for us we go for the ship and to relax. Plus Alaska is very similar to where I live or where we can drive to. But it is really beautiful there. I think we may do a hike or 2 if the weather is good.

I'm not sure what's going on with roll calls anymore but very strange.

You said you were trying to walk more, do you have a pedometer or smart watch that tracks your steps? I have fun with mine challenging myself to see how many steps I can get every day. It was also really fun to wear last cruise. I was amazed by how many flights of stairs we walked up.

I might have to get online and start looking for some cruise clothes tonight now!

What cruise lines and ships are you going on?

I don't have a step counter or pedometer. I used to because DH's job had rewards toward a health care spending account for certain milestones with the pedometer. We had issues with our pedometers though and so that whole business kind of got more irritating than fun...probably because it was associated with trying to get money for health care costs...

I just like going on walks. And I haven't lived in an area where it has been interesting to walk for a long time. But we moved to Winston Salem last summer...and we live downtown...and there is so much to see right here...many city trails and places of interest. I'm just making a point of getting out and seeing these things that I keep driving past.

I understand about the no excursions. If I lived that close, then I'm sure that I could approach it in a similar way. It's true about the cost. For sure they are expensive!! But we got a very good deal on our cruise, which is why we were going able to go in the first place. DH traveled A LOT for work last year. He worked in NJ while we lived in GA...so lots of miles and hotel points. I saw the cruise deal...put a 24 hour hold on it while we looked at airfare and hotels and figured out that we could actually do this because of that help.

We're on Celebrity's Millennium. I'm excited. I've sailed two other M-class ships...and I really like them. It'll be easy to feel at home and get into the groove of vacation. We'll have 2 nights in Vancouver to help with that as well though...

We're planning on lots of walking...rain or shine LOL!!

What line are you on?

Sounds like a great place to live! I love to walk around places like that.

Oh I like celebrity! I've only sailed once on the eclipse but it was a great ship. I am on royal Caribbean explorer for the 2nd time.

Yes there is always so much walking! Which is why you get to eat so much on a cruise haha. Last time we walked from the pier to downtown Victoria. Big mistake it was so far. And then we walked back! Not sure what we were thinking

One excursion I'd like to try is ziplining. I've never done that. I think I'm just used to doing my own thing. Usually we go to a beach for the day which isn't the same in Alaska. We did do the tram in Juneau and that was a lot of fun.

So we just have 2 Alaska stops, Juneau and skagway, and then Victoria. Where is everyone else going?

And what are your excursions?

I"m treating Vancouver like a port because we are there for 2 nights...but that's our embarkation.

Then we have Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway and then we debark in Seward.

I tend to pick one "thing" to do each day or port or whatever and then try to learn enough about where I am going to be to be able to "go with the flow" of the current weather, amount of sleep, energy level, etc.

Our big event in Vancouver is to go to Bard on the Beach. We also have a city walking tour planned.

In Ketchikan, we're doing a city tour with a local that we booked through "tours by locals". Big debate with myself on that one...but in the past, my family has really enjoyed talking with local people in ports. IDK, I think it helps to make the memories...I'm just looking forward to spending the time we will with our guide. And hopefully learning a bit from a local's perspective.

In Icy Strait Point, we're going whale watching. In Juneau, we finally decided to rent a car. We're going to do some shore fishing, Mendenhall, and whatever else we feel like. In Skagway, we're going to do the ranger led tour and hike up to Lower Dewey Lake and whatever other hiking looks good according to the day. Maybe a picnic lunch...probably some fishing.

For post cruise, we have a shuttle to the airport. Then we pick up our rental car...and we are 4 nights more on the Kenai Peninsula. We have two nights in a public use cabin. Then we have one night in a cabin (at a hotel type place) in Seward. Then we are doing the whole airport sleeping thing because our flight leaves at 5:00 am. We packed in the excursions on the Kenai Peninsula...we're doing a full day fishing on the Upper Kenai, kayaking Bear Glacier, and hiking on Exit Glacier. Gonna to be amazing!! All of it. The whole trip. I'm so excited.

You are round trip with Seattle, I"m guessing?

My parents were just in Victoria. They loved it. They were there for a couple days I think. Mom said it was beautiful.

Wow that sounds amazing!! What a wonderful experience this will be for you and your family! Yes very important to be able to go with the flow while cruising. That's actually what I like about it. Do as little or as much as you want. Hopefully you will have good weather. It should at least be warm for the Vancouver part of your trip.

Packing will probably be a little trickier since you are camping after but it sounds like you've got a good plan.

I will say it's nice not having a weight or bag limit since I dont have to fly. I wish more cruises went out of Seattle. Right now we can only go in the summer because so my mom can watch the kids for us. They are 2 and 5 so no cruises for them yet. (Well took my oldest when she was 15 months but other family was there) This is mom and dad's time to relax! And it's our anniversary trip. Plus they love having grandma come to stay. She may spoil them a bit.

Yes trip is round trip from Seattle. Its pretty neat to sail past familiar landscape too.

Victoria is really pretty. We are going to try and have tea somewhere this time. And take a taxi!

Which anniversary? We are sort of doing this in honor of our 21st, which doesn't occur during our actual vacation...July 5. Last summer, we moved over our anniversary, so no big celebration for 20 years. We're making jokes that the 21st anniversary is where the REAL party is LOL!

Our DS is 17 now...a rising senior in high school and he is cruising with us. It's a bittersweet thing...this vacation with him because next summer it'll all be about going off to college...

Nice that you have family so close. We have never really lived close to family. But my parents are also joining us on this cruise...I"m very excited about that...we don't get to see them often or easily as they live in AZ while we are in NC...

This will be our 11th. Last year we had oasis booked but then ended up moving so we cancelled it and were going to wait. But 2 weeks before my husband was like this is our 10th anniversary let's go so Alaska was an easy choice for us haha. So we are 10 years apart!

That is so great you can all go together. Oh boy I can't even imagine my kids off to college, my oldest is kindergarten age this year and that's too much for me to handle [emoji22]

Good morning and congrats on the booking and happy birthday to hubby (belated). You are sailing Seabourn? I want to hear all about it when you get back:D……….they are supposed to be awesome. I am sailing on Silversea in July and they are supposed to be in the same arena. This will be my 2nd cruise with Silversea but I have not tried Seabourn (yet)…...just to let you know, you will probably be really spoiled;). I have done Alaska multiple times but not recently. I agree with the "layering" process and hope you have a great time!

Yep, 11 days on Seabourn - so for us, we really want to relax and take advantage of the ship & its amenities. I know we'll spend a ton of time on our balcony with wine & binoculars!! (my avatar photo here was taken on the balcony of our 2007 Pacific Princess cruise in Alaska!!) I've wanted to sail Seabourn since the "Little Sister" days (sad to miss those but 450 passengers should still be good:D)

We embark in Vancouver, (same day as Millennium, actually!!) Then Ketchikan, Misty Fjords – cruising, Wrangell, Cruising Sumner Strait, Decision passage, Sitka, Tracy Arm - cruising,

Haines, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Disembarkation Seward.

The only excursion I know I want to do is a whale watching trip because we didn't do it last time. (we saw whales, beluga up close and humpbacks in the distance, but I want more!) Tried to book Glacier Winds in ISP but they're not booking with Seabourn guests this year because apparently they cancel ISP too often? Last year was the first time they did AK in 15 years and they're only on the first cruise of the season right now, but whatever. I'd prefer not to do this excursion in Juneau because of distance and also the number of other ships in port with us that day. A lot of the ports are new to us (Wrangell, Haines, Sitka is new to my husband) so I imagine there will be some wandering around & general sightseeing. But there aren't other excursions we feel we *need* to do right now. But we have 3 months - we'll see what happens ;-)

For walking - I work at a university and when it's nice (and not 100degrees plus humidity, like it is for most of the summer here...) I like to get out and walk the Gardens at lunch. Otherwise, my husband and I peer pressure each other to use our machines when we get home (have a treadmill and a bike and we alternate, while watching Jeopardy and House Hunters International ;-) But I *love* to cook, and drink wine, and I do that more than I exercise, apparently....

We are about a month away from flying to Seattle for our Alaskan cruise. I have the clothes rack in the guest bedroom and slowly figuring out what to bring. Our cruise is 14 days with 3 days pre-cruise in Seattle. Packing for 17 days is a little challenging especially since we are flying.

So far I am bringing 3 pairs of Eddie Bauer Ripstop Cargo pants, 3 pairs of shorts, 4 long sleeve knit tops, 4 short sleeve knit tops, 2 dresses, 2 lightweight tech fabric 3/4 zip pullovers, 1 3/4 zip fleece pullover, and my Patagonia puffer jacket. I pre-purchased the unlimited laundry package, so I am good to go there.

I am also bringing waterproof gloves, a poncho, and a knitted cap. I learned my lesson last time in Alaska, always have waterproof gloves. My Asolo hiking shoes are also coming since they are waterproof.

Lisa

We are about a month away from flying to Seattle for our Alaskan cruise. I have the clothes rack in the guest bedroom and slowly figuring out what to bring. Our cruise is 14 days with 3 days pre-cruise in Seattle. Packing for 17 days is a little challenging especially since we are flying.

So far I am bringing 3 pairs of Eddie Bauer Ripstop Cargo pants, 3 pairs of shorts, 4 long sleeve knit tops, 4 short sleeve knit tops, 2 dresses, 2 lightweight tech fabric 3/4 zip pullovers, 1 3/4 zip fleece pullover, and my Patagonia puffer jacket. I pre-purchased the unlimited laundry package, so I am good to go there.

I am also bringing waterproof gloves, a poncho, and a knitted cap. I learned my lesson last time in Alaska, always have waterproof gloves. My Asolo hiking shoes are also coming since they are waterproof.

Lisa

Oh I love the clothes rack in another room for packing! I'll be getting my clothes rack out soon. Makes packing so much easier! Wow you have a long cruise! I'd probably end up with too much stuff because I tend to overpack. What line are you going on?

Oh I love the clothes rack in another room for packing! I'll be getting my clothes rack out soon. Makes packing so much easier! Wow you have a long cruise! I'd probably end up with too much stuff because I tend to overpack. What line are you going on?

We are sailing Holland America's Zaandam. The only reason I can stop myself from over packing is the laundry package. I can send items out and have them back the same or next day.

We will go to Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Icy Strait, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, and Victoria. It's out of Seattle. We have been to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Anchorage before, so everything else is new to us. Oh, we will be in Ketchikan on Independence Day. We will be watching the parade and taking in the festivities.

Lisa

I've been following someone sailing on a Holland ship, I think. She posted pictures of Ketchikan today...the sun is shining!...some people are wearing shorts and fleece...jeans and short sleeved tees...some in jeans, raincoat and hats...saw a woman in leggings a shirt or dress and a long puffy jacket that went almost to her knees. Accuweather said that it was 60F today but felt like 62F (at the time I was checking and the previous actual temperature hadn't been any higher).

I'm thinking that you just have to bring whatever you would bring for your own personal comfort for whatever weather...and depending on what you are used to...you will tend toward warmer or cooler clothing to deal with whatever Alaska throws at you!

I'm still sorting out what to bring...

Something at each end of the climate spectrum but mostly in the middle - that's generally how I pack, depending on where I'm going and what I plan to do there.

On our 2007 cruise, we had 75 and sunny (in Ketchikan) to 32 and sleeting (Skagway) but we were totally comfortable no matter what we did.

It's always a good idea to know your personal comfort level - my aunt lives in Hawaii and puts on a fleece jacket & pants if it's cooler than 75F. People from MN who visit Vegas in January will wear shorts if it's 60. So, you know.....

I'm loving reading the reviews that are starting to come in, and I'm reading more reviews of our ship/line as well (since it'll be our first time on that cruise line).

Our goals this weekend - book YVR hotel, think about booking transfer from Seward to ANC. Husband doesn't want to take the time to do the sightseeing train so we'll do the coach....

Last July in our Alaska ports it was about 60 and thankfully no rain. We were pretty comfortable in light layers. Not sure we even wore coats. But we saw some people walking around in full puffy coats, scarves, hats, and gloves. Had a bit of a laugh about it but I figured they either were from somewhere warm or headed to an excursion where it would be colder.

I found out on deck while the ship was moving where I was the coldest. I need to find a lightweight fleece to layer to take this time.

Yes I love hearing the reviews start to come in! I also love watching cruise videos on YouTube. It gets addictive haha.

Hoping to do a bit of cruise shopping this weekend so hopefully I can find a few things. I got a little too giddy when I bought some facewash yesterday and it came with a travel sized version haha.

I got a little too giddy when I bought some facewash yesterday and it came with a travel sized version haha.

Yep, despite having an entire tote of travel toiletries, I ordered some new eye cream from the Nordstrom half-yearly sale because it came with a travel set of things that looked fun. Husband says I have a problem ;p

[to be fair, I did need new eye cream!]