1940's cruise to hawaii aboard matson lines...

hommebronze

We've gone from driving golf balls into the sea (and clay shooting too) to rock climbing and surfing!

Did you notice how many were lying on the deck sunbathing on a towel? They must have had chair hogs back then too! :p

Thanks for sharing...it was great to watch!

Trudy

Man is that a fun video! Reminds me of going to the Travelog slideshows at our area highschool open to the public. One of the fellers playing shuffleboard looks like hes in his underwear boxers. LOL Amazing to see women in fitted long dresses all the time, I would have suffocated in the humidity Im certain!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks...I sent this to my Mom. She sailed out to Honolulu in 1948 to marry my Sailor Dad just this way. She loved it. Really brought back memories. The little house they lived in on Lemon Rd two blocks from Waikiki Beach has now been replaced by high rises, but the little park she used to walk to is still there. We have come a long way baby!:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sailed to Honolulu on the President Wilson in 1962. I was in the steerage section which was a lot of fun. It was for those of us who couldn't afford 1st class. And you weren't allowed to go into that section. We ate on long tables among Chinese, Japanese and everyone else so the food was cooked for the Americans and the Orientals. I was going to summer school at the college and there were many my age also attending it. What an experience. First time this far away from home. I lived in Oregon and the ship left out of San Fran. Even back then we had mechanical problems so the ship sailed about 3 or 4 hours late. My parents gave up and finally left to go back home

• 6 months later...

That video seemed too familiar to me. I took the Lurline from LA to HNL in July 1957. A great ship and a great cruise. What I especially remember is the people who would dive for coins as we approached the Aloha Tower in Honolulu.

John

Archived