Beverage Package Drink Limit

If you paid cash (credit card) for your SBP, then it's east to upgrade to the Elite package. Just visit any bar or the front desk and ask to upgrade. It will cost you another $10 per day plus 15% service charge or $11.50 per day on top of what you already paid. If you got your SBP through Explore-4, then you may have to hit a few bars and keep asking for the upgrade. Some are reluctant. On other ships, they actually promote the upgrade. Either way, you should do it as soon as you board, and before you order your first drink. I don't think you can change your mind and do it on day 5 of a 12 day cruise.

Ship Services confirmed to me very recently that Explore4 does indeed need to be upgraded to Elite PRIOR to the first beverage purchase but that now the upgrade is widely available. According to them, upgrading should in no way be a hastle... but Ship Services and the reality on the ship don't always coincide as some of us have witnessed so take that for whats its worth. ;)

• Haha 1

O.k. so I just got off the phone with HAL. I was ordering a fridge for my cabin on the Volendam.

I asked the guy if non-alcoholic beverages were counted towards the 15 beverages per day limit on the signature beverage package. He said that they no longer count towards that limit, and that this is a recent change.

So YAY!

I will still check with the bar guys on my next cruise.

I hope this is the case!!

On the Westerdam as I write this. We purchased the Elite drink package. Would never do it again. The first three days we were charged full price for drinks on our account even with the drink package. Went to guest services three times to get this fixed. Finally got it fixed by day 4 of a seven night cruise. They had no Idea what caused this in the system to happen. It was a pain to continue to stand in lines three times to finally get the issue resolved. I suggest to everyone to down load the app once your on board to continue to monitor your account for mistakes. If you do not do this then you could be in for quite a shock when you see your final statement on your last morning on board and have to stand in line to fix it,

We have found we would have been better not having the package.

My spouse really does not drink as much as I do but was forced to buy the package too because I wanted it. I did not even come close to having15 drinks a day even with coffee and bottle water. Would have saved several hundreds of dollars by just paying as you go along. Also you then have the option to buy a much larger selections of wine buy the bottle rather than a rather small selection by the glass. I guess if you like to drink on the heavy side you might save. Keep in mind that people tend to drink a bit more at the start of the cruise and then taper off toward the end. The cruise line makes a killing in profit on these plans. They know what they are doing.

If you have the package check your account everyday!!!!!

We purchase the signature beverage package before we leave home, so our cabin key cards are already imprinted with SBP. There is never a problem with the cabin account when we do this. Same for the Elite package. If you purchase onboard, you pay a $5 a day penalty for purchasing it onboard, because you are using the free HAL provided cabin credits instead of your own cash. The Elite package is the same price, purchased online or onboard. If purchased onboard, it sometimes takes a day or two to get the package registered on your account and working. If you are on a short cruise, you should purchase it online before you leave home.

You do not have to drink 15 drinks per day to make the package pay for itself. That is a common misconception. With the SBP, the total daily cost, including the 15% service charge is $51.70. A typical mixed drink is $7.50, but with the 15% SC it comes to $8.63 per drink. Divide that into $51.70 and you get 6 drinks. That is the break even point. After 6 drinks (or wines, or beers) you are drinking free. If you have a very port intensive cruise with only one or two sea days, and only have a few glasses of wine at dinner, then, of course, the SBP or Elite package is not worth the money. But if you have a cruise with lots of sea days (like the cruises we usually book) it pays off very nicely. On a 26 day Med/TA cruise with 13 sea days, we made out in the hundreds of $$$ with the SBP.

We purchase the signature beverage package before we leave home, so our cabin key cards are already imprinted with SBP. There is never a problem with the cabin account when we do this. Same for the Elite package. If you purchase onboard, you pay a $5 a day penalty for purchasing it onboard, because you are using the free HAL provided cabin credits instead of your own cash. The Elite package is the same price, purchased online or onboard. If purchased onboard, it sometimes takes a day or two to get the package registered on your account and working. If you are on a short cruise, you should purchase it online before you leave home.

You do not have to drink 15 drinks per day to make the package pay for itself. That is a common misconception. With the SBP, the total daily cost, including the 15% service charge is $51.70. A typical mixed drink is $7.50, but with the 15% SC it comes to $8.63 per drink. Divide that into $51.70 and you get 6 drinks. That is the break even point. After 6 drinks (or wines, or beers) you are drinking free. If you have a very port intensive cruise with only one or two sea days, and only have a few glasses of wine at dinner, then, of course, the SBP or Elite package is not worth the money. But if you have a cruise with lots of sea days (like the cruises we usually book) it pays off very nicely. On a 26 day Med/TA cruise with 13 sea days, we made out in the hundreds of $$$ with the SBP.

All very good points.

I don't even look at it per day, because as you point out, sea days are likely to be different than port days.

I think: How much would I spend on beverages on this cruise without the package, vs. how much would I spend on beverages with the package? If I think I would spend less on the cruise with the package, then I purchase it. And I include all beverages in my calculations: Alcohol, water, soda and coffee from the cafe.

I think wine drinkers on the Elite package do even better to be honest. Wines we would drink average $12 each per glass. A sailaway champagne. A glass with lunch or once back to the ship. A couple with dinner, and a nightcap and everything else ( from lattes to bottled water to dessert wines in the Pinnacle) is gravy. Plus I don't have to think about it because it is paid for already, which is a luxury when on vacation. :)

But do you really 'not have to think about it'? How do you keep track of that 'magical' 15 drink limit if you're not counting receipts?

If you seriously worry about going over the 15 drink limit and don't want to keep receipts, just keep a piece of string in your pocket and tie a knot in it every time you buy a drink. Count the knots before you buy to prevent going over the limit. Of course, if you are approaching 15 drinks, tying or counting knots might be a challenge! :cool:

If you seriously worry about going over the 15 drink limit and don't want to keep receipts, just keep a piece of string in your pocket and tie a knot in it every time you buy a drink. Count the knots before you buy to prevent going over the limit. Of course, if you are approaching 15 drinks, tying or counting knots might be a challenge! :cool:

I was actually hoping for a more serious response to my question, but thanks anyway!

But do you really 'not have to think about it'? How do you keep track of that 'magical' 15 drink limit if you're not counting receipts?
You should be able to ask your server. The system used to keep track of your daily count.

I was referring to the money aspect not the actual number of drinks. I think it would be nice to have the option to order almost anything on the beverage menus, might allow me the option to try something new everyday I wouldn't otherwise try. And I just might find a new HAL favorite cocktail. :D

As for the keeping track of the number of drinks, I am sure I will manage somehow. :confused::halo:

We purchase the signature beverage package before we leave home, so our cabin key cards are already imprinted with SBP. There is never a problem with the cabin account when we do this. Same for the Elite.

We, too, purchased the Elite package in advance of the cruise, yet still had the issue of our drinks being charged to our account.

LOL! That isn't complicated at all!

I was actually hoping for a more serious response to my question, but thanks anyway!

In all seriousness, here's what I do. I do collect the receipts. I put them into my pocket. When I go for my afternoon costume change (preparing for dinner) I count them. If lose count after that, I know it's time to go back to my cabin.

In all seriousness, here's what I do. I do collect the receipts. I put them into my pocket. When I go for my afternoon costume change (preparing for dinner) I count them. If lose count after that, I know it's time to go back to my cabin.

Now that is interesting. We never got any receipts on our last cruise. It was the first time we had Explore4 on one segment.

I don't recall receipts for Elite Beverage Package drinks in 2016. I'd occasionally ask where I was later in the evening if I was concerned, we never hit the limit. We do seek out bartenders with better pours though. (It's mutually beneficial, whether by land or by sea.)

I am currently on Rotterdam, and ran into the Beverage Manager a few minutes ago. I asked about the beverage limits and it was confirmed that only alcholic beverages are counted.

Just a reminder, Mini Bar purchases are not included.

I am currently on Rotterdam, and ran into the Beverage Manager a few minutes ago. I asked about the beverage limits and it was confirmed that only alcholic beverages are counted.

Thanks kindly Rich, for taking the time to ask and post here while you are cruising ;)

Awesome news, I`m hoping my vodka redbull will now only be charged as one drink instead of 2.

• Haha 1