Trying to decide between Windsurf and Royal Clipper for New Years Cruise

HelloSydney

HI all. I don't often lost mainly just read the various feeds, but I'm hoping for some advice and answers. My wife and I are looking for something different for a New Years Cruise. Windstar and Star Clipper both have cruises departing Dec 29, Windsurf from St. Maarten and Royal Clipper from Barbados. We have previously cruised on NCL, Disney, RCI and HA, each has been enjoyable but we're to try a new adventure. We understand the difference between the 2 vessels, sail vs motor/sail, but are looking for a bit more info. If anyone has tried both and can give some comparison it would be appreciated.

Things we would like to know are:

- fellow passengers - as first timers on the ship will we feel like outsiders? Do the repeat passengers tend to stick together or are they welcoming of newcomers?

- meals - due to severe allergies to food preservatives of my wife, how able are the 2 ships able to accommodate special meals? All cruises we have been on say they can accommodate and we spend considerable time in advance providing as much info to them, but even then we have had cross contamination issues or well-meaning chefs try to enhance the meal only to result in an allergic reaction

- any other advice or comments you feel might help us make a decision, we are both late 50's relatively active who aren't afraid of a challenge

Thanks to all who might reply. I do plan to also post on the Star Clipper forum.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

We have cruised twice on Windstar - the first time through the Panama Canal on Wind Spirit and the second time from St Martin on the Wind Surf. We are scheduled to depart on a back2back2back on the Wind Surf in 30 days out of Lisbon for a Mediterranean cruise. We are in our late 50's/mid 60's.

We LOVE this experience! Wind Surf has 300 passengers and you will never want to cruise on a big ship again! The folks we have met love to travel, are friendly and welcoming to all, regardless if you have cruised on WS before. No lines, no hassles and ports where big ships can't really get to. The crew is the best you will find, knowing your name within a day of the start of your cruise. The sails on departure, unfurling to the music is an experience all its own.

The chef's will go above and beyond to help you with your allergies. Typically they will go over the next days menu with you and figure out what will work best. I don't have any personal experience with this issue but have heard from several people they have felt confident in their food choices.

While we did the Classic Caribbean on Wind Surf out of St Martin, some of the stops are the same. We loved it and did a mixture of WS tours and on our own. You can't go wrong in the Caribbean!

Hello! We are first timers to Windstar after 32 cruises with the larger lines and we are on the New Years Eve sailing of the WindSurf.

The itinerary and being on Jost Van Dyke for New Years Eve was a draw for us. There is a large, well attended party at Foxys on Jost that would be well out of our price range to charter a private sailing or even a stay on the island during that period; $12k and up for the week that books out a year in advance. We've been to Jost many times and the Foxys party is an event we've been wanting to attend. This combined with the desire to try Windstar for quite some time sealed the deal.

We are very much looking forward to the smaller ship experience and mingling with like minded passengers. The large ships are getting too much like a cattle call for us.

We have done about 7 new year’s cruises on Windstar (33 total Windstar) and have absolutely loved the experience. This year we are doing the 10 day Christmas and New Year’s cruise from Costa Rica to Panama. Whether docked or at sea they do a very nice party with many of the crew participating as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='HelloSydney;56707443

Things we would like to know are:

- fellow passengers - as first timers on the ship will we feel like outsiders? Do the repeat passengers tend to stick together or are they welcoming of newcomers?

This should not be an issue. There are always many many repeat pax on board' date=' but other than a reception early in the cruise there is nothing that would sort them into groups. I think we've met people we knew from a previous itin once in our growing list of cruises with WS. I do know of some people who repeatedly cruise together, but that's not a major number as far a we've experienced.[/i']

- meals - due to severe allergies to food preservatives of my wife, how able are the 2 ships able to accommodate special meals? All cruises we have been on say they can accommodate and we spend considerable time in advance providing as much info to them, but even then we have had cross contamination issues or well-meaning chefs try to enhance the meal only to result in an allergic reaction

We don't have allergies but I can tell you what we've observed happening. Each morning a member of the dining crew will meet up with you at breakfast to go over the day's menu, ask what you can and can't have and will advise as to which dishes can be modified to suit your restrictions. What I can't say is how well that's carried out, but I haven't seen complaints either.

Thanks to all who might reply. I do plan to also post on the Star Clipper forum.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

My answers are included in itialics above. WS is great, and they take care of their guests well. Lunch always includes a salad bar with lots of variety that you can choose from. There's usually a stir fry of some sort where you can ask for specific ingredients, my concern there would be that they reuse the pans, so if you're allergies are very server cross contamination could be an issue. My dinner comments are above.

I have only sailed on Windstar so I can't compare. However, before our first Windstar cruise (we have been on 7 now) we met a couple at our hotel who were sailing on a Royal Clipper. He had considered Windstar but was an avid sailor himself and was looking forward to observing the technical aspects of a true sailing ship vs. Windstar's motorized sails. So that is something to consider if you love to sail yourself.

In general I think that Windstar passengers are well traveled, adventurous, friendly and open to meeting others whether a 1st time or 20th time cruiser. The casual nature of the cruise lends itself to that. What I worry about is getting on the ship with a very large group who might take over some of the ship areas and just not really mingle - like a corporate group or something.

Re: Allergies - We took my stepdaughter on the Windsurf once and she had many health restrictions - no gluten, soy, grains and other things. I did alert the cruise ahead of time about the gluten issue. She was so worried that she brought protein powders and bars she could eat in case she had trouble finding anything to eat. They took wonderful care of her, She met with the dining manager (his name is Daddy and everyone loves him) after checking in and he advised her on what would be safe from the menu for the first night. After that he had a menu delivered to her room each morning and had her call with her choices so that they could be sure to modify them if needed, or if they could not, they would tell her. The morning and lunch buffets had plenty of good choices for her. She was really happy about the care and concern that was shown to her.

Okay, I think I'm the first poster who has experienced and enjoyed both lines although my experience on Windstar was on the Star Pride, one of their 3 motor yachts. The key really isn't so much the fact that Windstar has ships with motorized sails, it's more about the culture of the two lines. Let me see if I can help. Let me add that we love and will absolutely return to both.

I would describe Windstar as 'relaxed luxury'. In short order, all of the relevant crew will know your name and preferred cocktail. You'll wear smart resort casual to dinner every night. Your fellow guests will typically be upper middle class or better. You'll actually become friends with many and may even keep in touch following the cruise. I'd peg the average age at perhaps 50 ish; certainly not the 70+ scooter crowd. It's where former Princess cruisers go when they want to step up the price and the personal attention they'll receive.

Star Clippers is more 'adventure sailing'. The experience is less luxurious but equally nice. The folks you'll meet onboard will have more likely visited many national parks rather than big cities for fun. They enjoy helping the crew hoist the sails and/or climbing out on the bowsprit or up to the crow's nest. Wet landings? Can't wait for the next one. They too are upper middle class or better and typically in their 40s/50s and are a well traveled, well educated and social crowd.

Which did I like better? I like them both for different reasons. As I said, we'll return to both lines. Perhaps break it down this way. The Mediterranean via Windstar; the Grenadines via Star Clipper. Hope that gives you some guidance. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Star Clippers is more 'adventure sailing'. The experience is less luxurious but equally nice. The folks you'll meet onboard will have more likely visited many national parks rather than big cities for fun. They enjoy helping the crew hoist the sails and/or climbing out on the bowsprit or up to the crow's nest. Wet landings? Can't wait for the next one. They too are upper middle class or better and typically in their 40s/50s and are a well traveled, well educated and social crowd.
Precisely...... Also the Star Clippers clientele tend to be more european. (About 50-50 on our cruise out of Barbados last spring)

My biggest concern with Star Clippers would be their Breakfast and Lunches. As both are "preset buffets" there is not a lot of opportunity for specially prepared meals. Over all though, I did find their food a BIG step up from any of the main stream cruise lines...

PS... Aside from the meals issues, I would vote for Star Clippers, simply because it is far more than a small "upscale" ship... it is a massive EXPERIENCE that you simply have to do once in your life if you have any adventurous bones in your body. (And before I get trashed by the Windstar folks, our next cruise is a TA in April on Windstar...)

Edited by FredT
add PS

Precisely...... Also the Star Clippers clientele tend to be more european. (About 50-50 on our cruise out of Barbados last spring)

My biggest concern with Star Clippers would be their Breakfast and Lunches. As both are "preset buffets" there is not a lot of opportunity for specially prepared meals. Over all though, I did find their food a BIG step up from any of the main stream cruise lines...

PS... Aside from the meals issues, I would vote for Star Clippers, simply because it is far more than a small "upscale" ship... it is a massive EXPERIENCE that you simply have to do once in your life if you have any adventurous bones in your body. (And before I get trashed by the Windstar folks, our next cruise is a TA in April on Windstar...)

Spot on. Again, we love them both for quite different reasons.