Sharp warning to leave your luggage

Pelle

I have learned a lot on this thread. First one should always put a home address on the luggage tag. Many times I have put a hotel address because there is where I was going to stay after the cruise.

Ivi

If someone does not bother to look at the luggage tag & takes your bag across the world it is a moot point

dragging your luggage off even on Oceania it a PITA

If someone does not bother to look at the luggage tag & takes your bag across the world it is a moot point

dragging your luggage off even on Oceania it a PITA

+1

Until someone finds a way to legislate against thoughtlessness or stupidity, even if it was otherwise innocent, which this case seems to have been, living life will always contain some risk.

Still, getting out there IS a better alternative than staring at the bedroom ceiling ;p

Great news really pleased to hear it all worked out for you.

Last week at Southampton I looked at the labels on two bags before finding mine. Tomorrow I am ordering a set of least tasteful, loudest, tackiest suitcase covers I can find. I’ll put up with the embarrassment to forgo the anxiety.

I did that -- "an ugly green Samsonite two suit case". Arrived in Singapore my luggage missing from the baggage belt. Along comes a bag "an ugly green Samsonite two suit case" with a name tag that was not me. Guess what -- someone walked with an identical ugly suitcase. (eventually got it back)

+1

Until someone finds a way to legislate against thoughtlessness or stupidity, even if it was otherwise innocent, which this case seems to have been, living life will always contain some risk.

Still, getting out there IS a better alternative than staring at the bedroom ceiling ;p

A very good way of putting this in perspective. Need to keep living life. :):):)

Ah, but if someone does take your possibly ugly luggage across the world, the chances of it coming back home to you, eventually, are much higher with a good luggage tag with your home address on it.

Guarantee ours would have never made it home from France without that.

:confused:

Ah, but if someone does take your possibly ugly luggage across the world, the chances of it coming back home to you, eventually, are much higher with a good luggage tag with your home address on it.

Guarantee ours would have never made it home from France without that.

Likewise, the remaining bag on the carousel I mentioned above (the one that also happened to be a match for DH's bag)... we'd never have been able to find the owner so that we could return it and retrieve DH's bag.

We still wonder how long that guy was planning to wait to open "his" bag. It had taken us a while to track him down, given that he wasn't "at home".

He was at a conference thousands of miles from his home.

What was he wearing/using? :confused:

GC

Why anyone would put their home address on (or in) luggage is beyond comprehension. All that accomplishes is to identify where you live AND that you are not there.

I guess folks have forgotten the occasional report of crooked airport workers who transmit that info to confederates who then burglarize travelers' homes.

All that is needed on a luggage tag (and on the slip of readily visible paper inside each bag) is name, cell phone and home landline plus e-mail address.

[quote name=Flatbush Flyer;56047849

I guess folks have forgotten the occasional report of crooked airport workers who transmit that info to confederates who then burglarize travelers' homes.

All that is needed on a luggage tag (and on the slip of readily visible paper inside each bag) is name' date=' cell phone and home landline plus e-mail address.[/quote]

No, I've never heard of that ...homes are burglarized with the occupants are in their house, or at work (stop working folks), at church or at funerals. I do know folks use the hope that no one is at home when a funeral is being performed.

Emphasis is on the word, "occasional" The lazy man cries, "There is a lion outside then turns over in his bed" Now that's Bible. I don't want to scare you but there are other verses in the Book of Proverbs that speak to paranoia but I don't think you can handle it, and that's my final word.

Ramona

Ramona

Why anyone would put their home address on (or in) luggage is beyond comprehension.

So my luggage comes back to me. Or in the case of my sister, her delayed luggage came back to her, after falling out of the delivery truck and being left in the middle of the road. A kind stranger read her tag and called her.

I choose to believe there are more people out there willing to help than are bent on mischief.

And how would my luggage prove that no one was home? Dh and I frequently travel separately. On long trips we have a house sitter. My college age kids are sometimes home also.

Why anyone would put their home address on (or in) luggage is beyond comprehension. All that accomplishes is to identify where you live AND that you are not there.

All that is needed on a luggage tag (and on the slip of readily visible paper inside each bag) is name, cell phone and home landline plus e-mail address.

No one has forgotten anything. Everyone must make a personal risk/benefit analysis and act accordingly.

In this day of internet data bases, I don't see that providing cell phone and landline does much in the way of security other than delaying discovery of the home address linked to the landline. That's why savvy travelers hire home-sitters, install home security systems, set up multiple lamps on staggered timers, continue getting mail delivered (but having a neighbor take it from an exterior mailbox) and enlist the neighbors' help in making your house look occupied.

There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

No one has forgotten anything. Everyone must make a personal risk/benefit analysis and act accordingly.

In this day of internet data bases, I don't see that providing cell phone and landline does much in the way of security other than delaying discovery of the home address linked to the landline. That's why savvy travelers hire home-sitters, install home security systems, set up multiple lamps on staggered timers, continue getting mail delivered (but having a neighbor take it from an exterior mailbox) and enlist the neighbors' help in making your house look occupied.

There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Most (if not all) true landline telephone companies offer the option of not publishing an address (and/or having an unpublished number).

As for "savvy" travelers: they do the items you mention AND omit the home address from the luggage tags.

Most (if not all) true landline telephone companies offer the option of not publishing an address (and/or having an unpublished number).

As for "savvy" travelers: they do the items you mention AND omit the home address from the luggage tags.

We put DH's work address with our cell numbers.

That way, IF someone takes the trouble to send the luggage "home" (as apparently happened in the OP's case), it will be quite nearby, and not, for example, at a hotel we stayed at a week or three ago.

I suppose if we are going to be at one hotel for an extended stay, we should put that info on the luggage tags, in case the bag is just delayed a few days. But we don't tend to do that, unless the "hotel" is actually floating ;)

GC

I put our surname / email address on the tag we rarely take our cell on vacation

I put an itinerary inside the case as well as in one of the outside pockets to give the hotel/ship location & hope if the bag is lost someone will email us

a few years back in Florida there was a case of a main stream line res agent giving the address of pax out to friends who in turn robbed the homes while people were sailing

I also put the cell phone number on a private tag.

Once on a cruise, I went to the terminal to get my luggage. We have a Black and a red Rowenta (I think the spelling is right). There they were side by side. I started to roll them away and noticed that they didn't "roll right". I looked at the tag, and they were not mine/ours!

So now I got light/right blue tape and put a really ugly T on each side of each bag. Yes they look UGLY, but it would be hard to mistake them unless someone else had the same UGLY taste.

I put our surname / email address on the tag we rarely take our cell on vacation

I put an itinerary inside the case as well as in one of the outside pockets to give the hotel/ship location & hope if the bag is lost someone will email us

a few years back in Florida there was a case of a main stream line res agent giving the address of pax out to friends who in turn robbed the homes while people were sailing

Wow! I'm going to try looking that up. The Law of Agency (Business Law) states that a representative or employee of a Business, in so many words, reps the company and as such is the company. In NYC a teller did that, she gave out account numbers, codes, etc. to her boyfriend.

Ramona

I also put the cell phone number on a private tag.

Once on a cruise, I went to the terminal to get my luggage. We have a Black and a red Rowenta (I think the spelling is right). There they were side by side. I started to roll them away and noticed that they didn't "roll right". I looked at the tag, and they were not mine/ours!

So now I got light/right blue tape and put a really ugly T on each side of each bag. Yes they look UGLY, but it would be hard to mistake them unless someone else had the same UGLY taste.

If you mean Rimowa luggage then it might have been the cruise you were on with us. We also have red and black, but ours roll great, so then again it might not have been. I love the way they roll, so little effort compared to other luggage.

We travelled with MS Riviera in the Mediterranean in April and arrived at Barcelona April 21. Wonderful cruise, but memories are darkened by the disembarcation process, when we lost a suitcase. Even though the suitcase had a red belt and labeled with our name, another passenger made a mistake and took it. It contained souvenirs from the trip, exclusive shoes and clothes, glasses and prescription drugs etc. In Barcelona we wrote a report to Oceania and were promised a copy sent to our home address which has not happened. We were delayed by a couple of hours. At home we were contacted by the woman in US who took our suitcase, and were told that the suitcase had been left at LA airport to be sent to us. It was wrong, the bag is still in Los Angeles.

We also contacted our TA in Stockholm who has helped us with contacting Oceania. Today they got this response which made me furious: "I have spoken to our Guest Relations department and unfortunately as the luggage was taken by another guest and not lost during our handling we are not able to assist in calling the airport. They also said the airport might just have to verify what is in the bag and this needs to be done by the person who sends it and unfortunately cannot be done by us."

No proposal for a solution, no help at all. Today we were informed by SAS in Copenhagen that the suitcase can not be sent to Stockholm without accompanying passenger.

We have not done anything wrong, no airline has done anything wrong and the responsibility lies with Oceania who was responsible for the suitcases until the right passengers regained it. It seems we will not get our things back and we are very disappointed. Next time I will refuse to put our suitcases in the corridor in the middle of the night without getting a receipt. I hope all passengers will be aware of the risks of leaving their bags. Needless to say, just like in a hotel when you leave your luggage waiting for your room, you should receive a receipt. It must be the responsibility of the cruise company that everyone gets his luggage. After this, I am more hesitant to cruise at all, especially with an Oceania cruise.

First off, sorry for your loss,

Second, what kind of idiot moron PAX would take your luggage especially if your luggage was clearly marked with unique identifiers attached?

Does Oceania allow PAXs to “walk off” their luggage instead of having Oceania do it for them? On other cruise lines I’ve been on, mass market Princess and Celebrity, when time to debark, I always chose to walk off with by luggage.

I’ll do the same on my upcoming cruise on Sirena.

FWIW, I would never pack medications in other than my carry on bag. For me they are too important to loose.

Hope you have better luck with your luggage next time on a different cruise line instead of Oceania.

King

Second, what kind of idiot moron PAX would take your luggage especially if your luggage was clearly marked with unique identifiers attached?

Does Oceania allow PAXs to “walk off” their luggage instead of having Oceania do it for them? On other cruise lines I’ve been on, mass market Princess and Celebrity, when time to debark, I always chose to walk off with by luggage.

FWIW, I would never pack medications in other than my carry on bag. For me they are too important to loose.

Hope you have better luck with your luggage next time on a different cruise line instead of Oceania.

King

It would probably be wise to read a thread before replying to the original post. The OP got their bag back with nothing missing a few days after their original post.

And blaming Oceania shows a complete lack of understanding of the baggage handling process. Cruise lines have no control over what happens once the luggage is on the pier. It's up to the local port operator to run the show once the luggage is offloaded .

It would probably be wise to read a thread before replying to the original post. The OP got their bag back with nothing missing a few days after their original post.

And blaming Oceania shows a complete lack of understanding of the baggage handling process. Cruise lines have no control over what happens once the luggage is on the pier. It's up to the local port operator to run the show once the luggage is offloaded .

You might want to reread my reply to the OP. My reply has nothing to do when or where OP got luggage back. What “read a thread” are you talking about?

I’m not blaming Oceania for OP’s lost luggage. Just that I prefer to “walk off” with my luggage at debark. YMMV.

Do you do walk off?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

King

I'm not going to beat a dead horse; however, you sir or madam should reread what you've posted to figure out why people are correcting your ass-u-me (ption). What you may have meant to say and whay you actual stated don't line up. Don't be defensive, it happens to everyone who uses text to communicate ...it's a flat medium.

Ramona

I understand what you are saying; however, I truly believe that anything built on a lie, will indeed collapse because the foundation is crappy. I know that people get what they give 10 fold. So I'm not going to stress myself out over a criminal unless they are physically threatening. I'm not going to fall into bitterness which will defile everything around me. Be not deceived, God is not mocked ...whatever a person sows that he/she will reap. This is not just a belief system for me ...I've seen it in action. We reap what we sow and the reaping is much bigger than the seed(s) that was and are/is being sown.

Ramona

Ramona: when it comes to property crime, you may need a reality check about how invasive it really is. For example, the nationwide (US) urban epidemic of car window smash/grabs may only net the crook a bag of cookies. But, the time, energy and money it takes the victim to have that window repaired (which may NEVER work totally right afterwards- including the rattling glass fragments in the door sill) is nothing to shake off with philosophical BS.

Letting bad stuff "slide" is what makes things worse in the long run.

To the contemporary adage "See Something - Say Something" I add "Do Something."

Flatbush Flyer,

Good one! (y)

And the good Lord will provide? Philosophical B.S. you think? :D

Sorry you feel like that but time will tell. I use to feel exactly like you do … but time is an equalizer.

Ramona

Interesting. Actually, "time will tell." However, you've got it backwards when it comes to tolerance for crime and crooks.

Interesting. Actually, "time will tell." However, you've got it backwards when it comes to tolerance for crime and crooks.

My Last Words: !) God loves you even if you don't know it or recognize it; 2) I Never said I tolerate crime and or crooks, I just said I'm not going to let bitterness make my life toxic (well, in so many words), I'll just let the reaping take care of what the other person has sown. -- My Last Words on the subject.

Ramona