Thinking about switching from Pride to Horizon

nicole9s

Hey all, we are currently booked on the Pride in April. Well, it turns out the recital for the spring session of my son's acting class is scheduled for when we are supposed to be on the trip (later than usual because they miss a lot of classes due to spring break and the Friday before President's Day apparently?).

Anyway, we were actually toying with the idea of switching to the Horizon in late May before the scheduling issue. The other things that were making us think about it are that we'd be sailing out of N.Y. again, and would be able to avoid the drive and overnight stay the night before (we're in NJ), it is 8 nights vs 7, and the new ship appeal.

The cons are the size of the ship is a little larger than we're used to, and it's about $1200 more than our current booking. Also not sure if there are new ship/crew 'kinks' to consider (any thoughts on this)?

Neutral on the change in itinerary. Right now we're scheduled for Princess Cay, Grand Turk and Freeport. New itinerary (as of now) is San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. My son actually prefers pools to the ocean so I'm ok with the Amber Cove vs Princess Cay change, and we weren't planning on getting off the ship in Freeport. Depending on what's going on with SJ by then would obviously dictate what we did, but I'd be interested in researching after cruises resume if people are doing any kind of charitable things on their stops.

So, anything I'm not considering? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If money isn't an issue, and it helps your sons schedule I would opt for Horizon. Does the $1,200 estimate included any penalties/fee's for canceling/changing your booking? I have sailed the Pride before and would sail again, but I also have Horizon booked for next August and I am super excited for that. I wouldn't worry about the crew working out the "kinks", there's a couple cruises in Europe before Horizon comes to NYC so hopefully by May everything is running smoothly.

Hey all, we are currently booked on the Pride in April. Well, it turns out the recital for the spring session of my son's acting class is scheduled for when we are supposed to be on the trip (later than usual because they miss a lot of classes due to spring break and the Friday before President's Day apparently?).

Anyway, we were actually toying with the idea of switching to the Horizon in late May before the scheduling issue. The other things that were making us think about it are that we'd be sailing out of N.Y. again, and would be able to avoid the drive and overnight stay the night before (we're in NJ), it is 8 nights vs 7, and the new ship appeal.

The cons are the size of the ship is a little larger than we're used to, and it's about $1200 more than our current booking. Also not sure if there are new ship/crew 'kinks' to consider (any thoughts on this)?

Neutral on the change in itinerary. Right now we're scheduled for Princess Cay, Grand Turk and Freeport. New itinerary (as of now) is San Juan, Grand Turk and Amber Cove. My son actually prefers pools to the ocean so I'm ok with the Amber Cove vs Princess Cay change, and we weren't planning on getting off the ship in Freeport. Depending on what's going on with SJ by then would obviously dictate what we did, but I'd be interested in researching after cruises resume if people are doing any kind of charitable things on their stops.

So, anything I'm not considering? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

When I read the title of your post, I actually said, "Don't do it!" out loud.

We've sailed Pride twice and Vista once, but it was 13 day Transatlantic, so that kind of counts as two cruises day-wise. :confused:

Pride, and the other Spirit class ships are, in my opinion, the nicest ship for cruising. They're smaller, more easily maneuverable, have three pools (as opposed to two for larger ships with more passengers), and much less crowded than larger ships.

I found there were always lines on Vista. Since the main theater was smaller than on other ships, people lined up almost one hour before the evening shows. Same with the Comedy Club. Her layout seemed choppy.

Most of all, $1,200 would almost pay for another cruise.

Good luck deciding.

JMO, but I would sail the Horizon over the Pride anytime. As you say, it'll have that brand new cachet, and you'll enjoy "discovering" the ship for the 1st time. You save drive time and pre cruise hotel. Any kinks about the crew or services should be ironed out while it's in the Med, prior to coming to NY. At least that was how we found the Vista to be last Thansgiving sailing from NY.

And I may be snobbish about this, but I think the best embarkation sailaway that I've ever done is easing down the Hudson past the NY Skyline and Lady Liberty, can't be beat!.

JMO, but I would sail the Horizon over the Pride anytime. As you say, it'll have that brand new cachet, and you'll enjoy "discovering" the ship for the 1st time. You save drive time and pre cruise hotel. Any kinks about the crew or services should be ironed out while it's in the Med, prior to coming to NY. At least that was how we found the Vista to be last Thansgiving sailing from NY.

And I may be snobbish about this, but I think the best embarkation sailaway that I've ever done is easing down the Hudson past the NY Skyline and Lady Liberty, can't be beat!.

Welllllll...I switched us today, and we're on the same sailing as you! We're actually super psyched! And yeah, sailing out of NYC is awesome!2a609197011f0d3c81b7b0e28c685a5f.jpg