Cruising Hints and Tips for Newbies

Brushtail

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks so much to all the contributors to this thread, it makes planning for our trip so much easier. You guys are great!! :) Things have changed a lot since I went on my last cruise.:confused:

We are going on Pacific Sun on 18 September 2010 out of Newcastle. I have not cruised in many years and this trip will be the first for my husband and 7 yo son (hopefully they will fall in love with cruising) so cruising can become our yearly family holiday like my family did when I was a kid.

Jenny

Past cruises

Tjiwangi x2 - 1971 and 1973

Marco Polo - 1972

Cathay - 1974

Fairsky - 1975

Arcadia - 1975

Fairstar x5 - 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 & 1980

Future cruises

Pacific Sun - 18 September 2010

13/2/2010

Just back from a 12 day cruise to Indonesia. Sailing conditions were excellent apart from a bumpy ride into Fremantle but that was night time so it wasn't so bad.

Food was very good and crew are wonderful, so kind and giving wonderful service. Most of the entertainment is good although a lot of it is geared to the over 70's crowd. Smugglers and Speakeasy Bars are the best for alternative music with their juke boxes and more intimate surroundings.

If you like quiet holidays for just the 2 of you , forget cruises as after a while it becomes like a 12 day party and that can be rather wearing. Also having to line up for meals is rather wearing after a few days. Finding a chair to sit on outside can be difficult as the best cane chairs are bagged early in the morning.

Port stops are fun but go too quickly. I think that the Bali stop should be 2 days not just 1 day.

All in all a good holiday but I don't think I'll ever become a cruise junkie, as I like more unstructured holidays with fewer people around day in and day out.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your wonderful tips. Lots of great work there.

Taking hubby and 10 yo daughter - she will be 11 next year - on Pacific Pearl on 7th April 2012. Very excited, as the last time I went on a cruise was almost 20 years ago on the Fairstar.

Hubby and daughter have never been on one before.

Can anyone give me tips on the kids clubs? She is on the 11-14 year old group and from what I can see it goes through to 1am :eek:. Are there any shows that she can come to with us at night or are they all off limits?

Also cruise cards for kids - can they only spend money on it when they are with a parent? I assume the kids club don't have them using it without parental permission?

• 4 weeks later...

First time cruiser, my wife and I on the Pacific Sun on July 1st to Noumea. Thks for all the tips guys, alot of stuff we didnt think of. But just had a few unanswered questions for anyone who has been on PS recently.

What unexpected costs can we expect once we are onboard? Dining, spa's, etc?

With the Oasis area being free, are there any other quite areas you can chill in peace? ..or is it still spacious enough for those times you need some peace.

How crowded does it get? We realise we are going at the start of school holidays, which will be.....interesting, but everyone states that meal times in the buffet area can get bad.

Thks in advance for any replies. :)

• 4 months later...
Thank you everyone for your wonderful tips. Lots of great work there.

Taking hubby and 10 yo daughter - she will be 11 next year - on Pacific Pearl on 7th April 2012. Very excited, as the last time I went on a cruise was almost 20 years ago on the Fairstar.

Hubby and daughter have never been on one before.

Can anyone give me tips on the kids clubs? She is on the 11-14 year old group and from what I can see it goes through to 1am :eek:. Are there any shows that she can come to with us at night or are they all off limits?

Also cruise cards for kids - can they only spend money on it when they are with a parent? I assume the kids club don't have them using it without parental permission?

When I went on my first cruise (2009) I was 15 and LOVED the kids club (TEEN HQ+). The youth staff are great and soon become your bestfriend.

It does run through to 1am, however from 10.30m onwards its usually just a movie playing and only a few people stay.

Shows: Almost all the shows are for all ages, except for some of the smaller (comedy type) shows in some of the bars. So you are more than welcome to take her to them.

With the cruise card, parents can put a limit on there children's. Say you put $50 on your daughters card, and when she reaches it you can decide to increase it or not.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the great informative post. i mainly wanted to ask about the money used on the Islands but you seem to have covered that. Have cruised before but never in Australia so we are really looking forward to it.

:) helen

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Taking wife on first cruise and doing Pacific Eden up to Moreton Bay. We are experienced air travellers and this is first time on a ship.

Any tips for a cruise going out of White Bay?

Will be coming down from Port Stephens.

:D:D

• 5 years later...
On 8/7/2018 at 1:21 AM, Soldiers118 said:

Taking wife on first cruise and doing Pacific Eden up to Moreton Bay. We are experienced air travellers and this is first time on a ship.

Any tips for a cruise going out of White Bay?

Will be coming down from Port Stephens.

:D:D

As for coming down from Port Stephens, consider arranging transportation in advance, whether it's by car or public transportation, to ensure a smooth transition to the cruise port.

Have a fantastic time on your first cruise and enjoy the beautiful Pacific Eden and Moreton Bay!