Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Excursions

geobec

Hi We have signed up to take an Hawaii cruise next year at Christmas, 12-19-19 thru 01-03-20. Noticed that we will be in port Christmas Eve and Day, are there any excursions that you will be able to take, or will everything be closed. Will be on Oahu Christmas Eve and Hilo Christmas Day. Thanks for any help

More than a year away, you are not likely to get accurate information. At some point, Princess will show what excursions they'll have available. My guess would be that most private operators will choose to close, at least on Christmas day.

My son lives in Honolulu and there is a lot open both Christmas eve and Christmas Day there. I can give you things on Oahu that are open.

The Royal Hawaiian center is open until 10 pm, many tours are still going on, many restaurants are open. The zoo and botanical gardens are open Christmas Eve day. Kualoa Ranch is open. The Polynesian center is open.

His girlfriend has gone to visit him the last two years and they were so busy Christmas eve.

It’s an incredible time to be there!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

Christmas Eve in Honolulu is very doable. Almost everything will be open. Crowded yes. May have shorter hours.

Hilo on Christmas Day. The National Park will be open....if it is safe. The zoo will be closed (very small zoo). Most of the stores along the Hilo water front will be closed. Farmer's Market will be closed. Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots, Akaka Falls should be open. Princess will probably run some tours.

Thanks everyone for the information. Our cruise is a way off, but was just curious if there is anything open to see, especially Christmas Day on Hilo.

My brother lives on the big Island, I’ll ask him if he knows what is open and closed. He is a boat captain and they were closed Christmas Day last year.

Queen Lili`uokalani Gardens and Coconut Island are open parks. Lava Tree National Monument (close to where the lava is now flowing) may be open if the current eruption ends.

It's too far, time wise, to drive to South Point or Kona. You could drive through the Hamakua Coastline/Waimea, but small mom and pop stores will probably be closed.

On our third RT cruise LA to Hawaii on Princess, we were in Hawaii during Christmas week. Usually on that itinerary (at least when we did it), Honolulu was the Tuesday port and Maui was the Thursday port, but probably because Christmas Day was on Tuesday that year, those two ports were switched. I think it's because Pearl Harbor, which is a popular place to see in Honolulu, is closed on Christmas Day.

I would check anyway for the places we want to check in part to make sure they're open on that day (even for non-holidays). That time, we wanted to go to Whaler's Village, but its website didn't have info about holiday hours and closings when I was researching, so I asked on its Facebook page and was assured it would be open, other than the museum there. As it turned out, most of the stores were open as well as one of the restaurants and some of the food court.